Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not again!just when I was gonna by a seat cowl..Ifind a big hexhead screw in my back tire! No I didn't plug it, bought a new one.I dont do burnouts and avoid the interstate rides when I canand Iwas wearing out the sides more than the center..remember I'm in Fla..In one year Ive gone through 3 rear and 1 front for a total 11,340 mi.at least it held air to get me to the shop!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Here is a tip on how to not have so many punctured tyres.

Only ride six months of the year & in that way less chance of obtaining punctures. LOL
Still all kiding aside that number of tyres in such a short spell it rather staggering. Wish there was a 'magic' thing you could do, but that is how the cookie crumbles.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thats a real pisser and a drain on the wallet. Against all advise here I had a tire patched last winter and guess what, it didnt work. Just have to buy a new one and live with it when they go flat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a new rear tire installed last summer.

Took the rear wheel off and took it to the shop, had the tire installed and balanced, took it home, put the wheel back on and adjusted the chain. I rode to my Fathers house 3 miles away and when I got back home and hosed down the bike, I found a 16 penny nail through the center and sticking out the sidewall.

Total of 6 miles and the tire was TRASH!

·
Registered
515 Posts
are you bragging or complaining??

i get 3000 miles out of my rears, 6 on the front..(this on dunlaps) im on my 1st set of bridgestone 010s we'll see if i can get alittle more milage..:(

·
Registered
426 Posts
Bah, I would have had it plugged and then proceed to do a wicked burnout on it until it blew, THEN get a new tire. At least that way you know you wore the thire until it finally blew ;) :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did that with one of my previous tires and it was fun..until I had to clean all that rubber off my fender, swingarm , engine, it was every where! that tire got punctured by a chunck of glass. I'm complaining cause I was all ready set to order a seat cowl.Bragging ,no I....hey wait a minute ,I may hold a record here, let me post a poll!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
blackkaw said:
...In one year Ive gone through 3 rear and 1 front for a total 11,340 mi.at least it held air to get me to the shop!
I feel yer pain dude. :crying:

I went through 5 :eek: rears last year due to nails and screws. Do you lane-split by any chance? The reason I ask is because someone told me not to lane split anymore, and so far this year -since I stopped splitting thru traffic, I got 6500 miles on a set of tires. They are still beat up from freeway use, but atleast no damn screws.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow 5? I feel your pain!! yes I lane split sometimes.although it isn't legal in Fl. I dont have confidence in a patch/plug tire so it 's pay the man or park it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
didn't I read a post about someone getting 6000 mi out of rear tire but it was squared off so badly he could park the bike with the side stand up?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mabey it's Florida but I'm on my third rear in about three months! Bought a new Dunlop, 200 miles later...Nail! Bought a new Bridgestone, this one made about 300 miles....Screw! My wife's having a fit. I've spent more money on bike tires than I did for my truck.:(

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought my bike with 5500 miles on it, from someone who was new to riding. It had the stock 57BT's on it, and was worn only down the center. The sides had like 1 1/2 inches of unscuffed rubber. I rode it until 7000 miles before getting it replace, and the wear indicators weren't even showing yet!

I just changed it b/c it sucked riding a square tire :)

Anyone beat 7000 on street tires?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Red_Stick_YZF said:
Anyone beat 7000 on street tires?

Ever seen an XS400? I have one and it his tires by one of those jobber companies that makes tires that have the consistency of solid steel, and I've put about 2k on it, plus maybe 500k from the previous owner, and human error makes the wear almost unmeasurable because there is so little wear.

I've no doubt that well over 10k is possible.

·
Registered
85 Posts
my speedo must be wrong!

Ok, I have 6500+ miles on my OEM D207s. Going for 7K! Ya its lost the round profile, but I wouldn't say they are square yet, but both sides are evenly worn, and there is a lot of tread left. The only problem is the front sides are very worn, but plenty of tread in the center - and the front does not warm up as much. Well, maybe I won't make it to 7K.

·
Registered
254 Posts
BlackKaw,
Lane splitting will definitely increase your chances of getting a punctured tire (as well as a punctured lung). You are better off to ride in the tire tracks of cars and trucks. What happens is the cages push the debris to the center of the lane and the strip in between the lanes (where you normally split). The shoulder of the road is really a bad place to ride, too. Lots of debris there.

·
Registered
580 Posts
my first rear tire on my vtr was the factory d204k. I got over 6K miles out of it. Then one morning I went to the garage and found the tire flat. I pushed on the center flat part and found it to be thinner than the leather coat I wear. It had just worn clean through and popped. Lesson learned the lucky way! Watch your treadmarks!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Feel we should be sticking to Honda ---

-----Blades when comparing max wear, for some one can come up with amazing miles on a light bike with hard bias tyres.
Still for the record I clocked 13,026 kilometers (something over 8 thousand miles) using a stock Bridgestong BT56 rear on Yamaha YZF600r & it was still good for another 1 thou plus. Mind you these are fairly hard rubber when one compares it to tyres on most of the sportbikes now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts