Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...just bought my friends 996 from him. I couldn't be happier (other than the ride comfort). What a great bike! My question is, are these bikes as finicky as people claim they are? i.e. Don't push it over 9000RPM, Don't do wheelies, Get the valves done every 6000 miles. I just changed the oil with AMS oil. $10/quart...God damn!!!!:( Anything else I should know about this bike? Please Enlighten me!!:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wheelies

What about Wheelies???? How much of a wheelie can you do before starving the front cylinder? I'm not a Starboy ;) but I like to show off every now and again with a second gear stand up!:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
you should look into getting one of those Ducati manuals. they show you how to do everything and tell you what you should check at what mileage. I've only had my 748 about a month but i plan on babying the engine to the fullest to prevent/avoid any reliability problems. I push the bike and my skills to the limit in the canyons and wouldn't want anything to go wrong.

As far as reving, i kept it under 7 rpm when i was breaking it in. But now that that's finished with i take it all the way up sometimes. I've read and have been told by several ducati mechanics that the bike was made to rev really high consistently (the nature of a race bike). I'm about 99% sure on this. I've also read that most people only use about 60-70% of their bikes potential. This would probably explain why most keep it at a certain rpm and not redline it or in a ducati's case greenline it.

for the finicking engine part. IMO the engine always sounds like its going to fall apart, especially if you have a vented clutch cover. My duc had problems getting in to neutral at first but then progressively got better at correcting itself. My brother's duc was fine at first and is now getting the neutral problem. So I would say yes to your question. Every engine has its quirks but i would be too worried about it as long as you baby it like i plan on doing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When was the last time you heard a Ducati owner complain about floating the valves? Take it out and beat the tar out of it once and a while! :D These motors loved to be rev'd. I agree about being religious about the maintenance, but since you're paying for it, you might as well use it................enjoy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can definitely tell that this bike likes the high revs because of the gearing. It doesn't seem to make power until 5000RPM and I think it's torquiest at about 8000rpm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts