Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Taking the MSF course Jan.9 and hoping to get a bike before or after that.

I went the other day to look at bikes and see which bikes fit,I'm a very lanky guy at 6'4 and 170 lbs.I was set on getting a Ninja 250 as that's enough power for me but the damn thing just does not fit well on me.

I tried the 650R and that fits me well and as I understand, it isn't to bad of a beginner bike.So would I be ok on a ninja 650R or is that to much power to soon?I didn't see any 500's so I will have to go again and see if they have any.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Yeah, the twin 650's are considered reasonable in some circumstances. I can just picture you on that 250 :laughing:

Welcome :cheers:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Welcome to SBW! :twofinger (<- standard greeting)

The twin-cylinder 650's are great learner bikes for larger folk.

Stay safe. Rubber-side-down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gotta say I think you'd look funny on a 250....Hun I'm 5'4" and I started with my Suzuki gs500.....they've got prob enough power for you starting.....I've have mine 3 months.....I'm ready for my ZX6R now. Just make sure you take the class......it is sooooooooo worth it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Ninja 650R

Yep, you'll be just fine on that 650R. It'll be a good bike for you. Kawasaki did a subtle restyling of the 650R for 2009, and I think it really looks nice. Not sure if you were checking out an 08 or an 09, but I'd go with the 09 if you can.

Kudos on your making the effort to start out right- with the MSF course and with buying a suitable beginner bike. You won't regret your decision.

Welcome to the motorcycling community! :cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all,just a update.Went looking around some more and I tried the gsx650f.I feel really comfortable on it since it's a upright position and my legs aren't scrunched.

I'm hoping this is just as good as the Ninja 650 since it's a 650 as well?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yes, the GSX 650F is a suitable beginner bike too. My only concern is that it is really heavy. But you should be able to leverage your size to overcome that to some extent. The GSX is very roomy, almost sport-touring in it's ergonomics, which is why it probably fit you pretty well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's been a while since I was here!Got a ninja 250 in February.It is a ton of fun to ride and the twisties are a blast.

I still think it was a smart decision to start small but I think a Ninja 650 would of been more suitable for me but you can't always have what you want eh.

And yes it is quite a site seeing me on the ninja 250!

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Congrats :cool: The great thing about a 250 is one's ability to literally throw the thing around and wring it out, ignoring how cheap they are to own and run.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts