Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Tony, OHV came much earlier. JAP engines had OHV as early as 1906.

You are getting close...

Andy

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
I think it's the 1933 Triumph 6/1 wich had 650 cc, 25 bhp and was the first vertical twin.
It was a failure but other models followed later and this type of engine became the trademark of British bikes until the 70s.

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
FZR400Tony said:
i don't know, but think the zr-7 gives people strange powers!!! :)
You 're probably right Tony, although it could also be that strange people buy the ZR-7 ;)

I'm not 100% sure about the answer though, I'll wait for Andy to verify.

P.S. Did you see the picture of the bike in the other trivia from Andy? Now that is the only one I couldn't solve so far :crying:

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
jj2f1 said:

I hear that. I read these quizes from time to time and it just seems like these two keep trading punches :D.
And don't forget about Titomike :D
He is also on a ZR7!

Aris

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct Aris!

In 1933, Triumph's chief designer was Val Page. Page's 'flagship' model - and his last great effort for Triumph - was the 6/1- 25bhp, four-speed, four-stroke 650 vertical twin, designed primarily for the sidecar market. It had a 360-degree crankshaft. The 6/1 soon won speed awards, lapping in tests at Brooklands at 100 mph. However exciting the concept, it proved a commercial failure in a conservative market. Other companies' twins at this time were all V-twins, so the vertical/parallel twin was an oddity. Triumph struggled along for a few more years, concentrating mostly on the booming car industry, but in 1936 it split the car division into a separate company. Ariel founder Jack Sangster bought the motorcycle division and appointed a new designer, the young Edward Turner, who had developed the Ariel Square Four. Val Page left Triumph to work for BSA.

link source: http://www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/w650/history.html

Andy

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
ariszr7 said:

P.S. Did you see the picture of the bike in the other trivia from Andy? Now that is the only one I couldn't solve so far :crying:

Aris
i saw it and i can't even think of a half-assed guess.

i'm still not sure about the royal rumble of trivia with you zr7 owners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts