Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding home from class just a few minutes ago...

I see a cute girl on a bicycle riding on the sidewalk. She slows down at a driveway cause a guy in a car was creepin' out, and looking the other way. She was nearly at a stop as I passed infront of the car. I immediately look in my mirror as I pass, and watch, HORRIFIED, as she begins to move infront of the car, and he floors it. He nails her, she goes up on the hood, and flies out to the second lane of traffic. I grab my brakes, check for traffic, and flip a U-turn, pull up on the sidewalk, and jump off my bike. By this time she has picked up her bicycle, and stumpled out of the street.

I'm pissed. I tap the guy on the shoulder, and tell him to get his insurance information out, and starts coping an attitude. "Don't touch me!!!!" he says. "You just hit a chick!!! Get your paperwork!!" The asshole just stands there giving me attitude.

In the end, she decided she was gonna be late for class, so we both gave her our phone Numbers, and left. Me GLARING at the guy, and him GLARING back. I was wearing my Carbon Fiber gloves.... good thing I had a little restraint. Her arm and hip are roadrashed, and she'll probably be feeling more pain by this afternoon.

Why is it that when people start their car, they turn off their brain?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Was she riding with trafficor against it?
Also, I'm sorry to say this but if the guy was obviously looking to pull out and not looking and she went in front of him anyway, well, that was rather short sighted of her.

Nobody should be a prick after almost mowing down a bicyclist, but it kinda sounds like she was at fault too...

Don't get me wrong Kevlar. You were very cool to go and help and right to be angry. But it might not be all his fault.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She was riding against traffic, yes... but...

this is an area with a LARGE amount of bicycle traffic. Also, she did stop, and decided to go around the car. I'm assuming she made eye contact with him or something. I used to ride a bicycle the same route she was taking. And I dealt with this day after day. Anyone who drives in this area should be acutely aware of bicycles and pedestrians. There are just too many around here to ignore.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Agreed. But the fact that she was riding against traffic puts her at fault, unfortunately.

Trust me. I got a ticket on Apache and Rural on my bicycle for exactly that reason. :mad: But the law is on the books to help prevent this sort of thing.

Regardless, the driver didn't have to be a dick about it.

I sure hope she's okay though. :(

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got one a few years ago in the exact same spot she got hit for riding against traffic....

I ran from the cop on my bicycle, he's all "Come here" I just stared straight ahead and kept riding.... he caught me on foot. That dude was fast. I pretended like I just didn't see or hear him... LOL. Then I took the Bicycle Defensive Riding class. How lame was that?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree. Should have been riding WITH traffic and not on the side walk. If you are on the side walk, you need to be walking. That's what bike lanes are for. If there are no bike lanes, then you share the road with traffic. Despite the protest of many cagers.
I race bicycles and I get pissed when I pass some one while training that is riding on the wrong side of the road. It's dangerous because you come at traffic much faster.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Shrub, out here the law states that bicycles are required to ride on the roads with motorized vehicles, unless the cyclist feels it is too dangerous. The cop who taught the bike school (and yes, it was very lame but I learned a lot), even admitted that he doesn't ride on the street around ASU. People are just too crazy. As long as you ride your bicycle WITH traffic, you're safer on the sidewalk.

This accident sounds about 50-50 to me, it just sucks extra for the chick because she got hurt.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hey THOTHSCRIBE,
Dark Angel rocks.........:D:p :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have never heard of it being ok if the cyclist thinks it's unsafe to ride on the road. I don't deny that I take that liberty myself sometimes and ride on the sidewalk but 99% of the time I am on the roads. I have a little different perspective though because I mainly stay on roads where traffic goes between 30 and 40 mph. If I am averaging 25 mph then the difference isn't quite so great (i.e. the cars have more time to see me). I can understand why it would be more dangerous being in the street if you are traveling at 10 mph. I have just been told that at 25 mph on sidewalks, I am endangering the pedestrians quite a bit too.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I learned my lesson riding my bicycle against the traffic... yes I did that so I can see who was coming and hopefull they see me...

But this driver who was pulling out of a parking lot never looked right before going all out... it was a close call...

Reminder to all... look right also!:)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Regardless of who's at fault, the driver should not have been an asshole. And that girl should sue him for being that way. She's the one who got road rash. And you can be her witness.

I had something similar happen except my wife was driving the car. This kid on a bike just pulled out in front of us as we where driving down the street at less than 25 mph. We were not at fault whatsoever. But the well being of that kid was foremost on our minds. We took him home. Called the police. Had them check the boy out to make sure everything was okay. We talked to the parents and told them exactly what happened. I call all that taking responsibility for ones actions.

The driver of that car needs to get dragged on the street by a bike....okay, I take that back. He doesn't. But somebody needed to kick his ass anyway! You did the right thing by at least letting him know he was an ass and helping out that girl.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts