Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
---

Attn:

AZ Track Day Photos below are by Cecil Walker, stop by and take a look and if you see your photo, buy a hard copy from Cecil!

http://www.cecilwalker.com/PhotoSite/motorsports.html

---

Who the hell is this guy, and why does he have someone elses name on the back of his leathers? ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a black jacket, an orange Pascal Picotte Shoei, and a Lime green 6R.................No wonder my girlfriend has to dress me when we go out....:D

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knight of Ni said:
I have a black jacket, an orange Pascal Picotte Shoei, and a Lime green 6R.................No wonder my girlfriend has to dress me when we go out....:D
I feel your pain bro, I have blue/white leathers, a blue helmet with a gold shield, red boots, and a white and green bike.

Can you say "Christmas Tree"? ;)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
FZR400Tony said:
oh please, NO ONE has worse leathers than me. they don't even match themselves.
They still match the tail of your bike and your helmet :)

Aris

·
Registered
11 Posts
I usually lurk in the background on most of these forums, but the time has come to post.

First-
Tony, you're right. Those have got to be the WORST leathers I have ever seen! And if the picture is accurate, the look like they're a little big for you besides (us fat guys don't have to worry too much about loose fitting leathers) :D

Next-
Robert, Those are some pretty good photos, huh? I would like to ask you a favor. The photographer is Cecil Walker, a buddy of mine, and I would like to see him get credit for the images you post. Would you do that for me in the future? He's not trying to make a living at it, he's doing it for the enjoyment, but wouldn't mind making a few extra bucks for his efforts (like the rest of us!)

Here's his motorsports photo site:

http://www.cecilwalker.com/motorsports

Last-
Mike, I have a similar request of you. Who took the pic of you while you were riding? Wouldn't be Cecil Walker by chance, would it? ;-)

After looking at your site and seeing that you seem to represent yourself as a semi- professional photographer, I would expect you to have the courtesy to give credit where credit is due. Especially since he is nice enough to resist mutilating the image by pasting his copyright across the middle of it.

Just my 2 cents,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey, i hear you about giving credit where credit is due. No prob. Thanks CECIL for taking some pics of me.

Now about my posting stuff across my pics. if cecil doesnt want to do that thats his prerogative. Besides, I only do that with photos i feel are sellable. There was a far better picture Cecil took of me but i didnt post it here. The one i posted in my opinion is not a very good picture. No fault of Cecil's, i was riding like a wimp and my form is terrible. I wouldn't by that photo from Cecil or anyone else.

Now, as far as that goes i don't see the problem within this forum. I haven't posted any of Cecil's photos on my own website. And the photos i have used from others, have been with permission, from a photographer i know in California, Gary Rather, (www.garyratherphoto.com) and his material is pretty impressive. The guy is good!

I think, given the context of the use here in this thread, Cecil isnt losing any sales. As a matter of fact, its free PR for him.
www.cecilwalker.com

Cecil is a good guy and deserves all the best. I don'y think anyone would disagree.

I saw several of his pictures posted here, and only after no one complained did i post one myself. One way or another Cecil gets publicity. Anyone who was at the track day should know who he is. (The cool guy with the big camera)

Personally, though, i've yet to be impressed with digital photos. Sure, they're convienient, but the quality still doesnt compare.
Not to mention the profit on a digital photo sale is astronomical.

If people want to by my photos they do. I really don't go out of my way trying to sell stuff like others do (you should have seen the vultures at the CCS races 2 weeks ago!). I'm pretty selective who i shoot, and only show my proofs when they are exceptionally good. (not very often!)

:eek:

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
steveracer619 said:
I usually lurk in the background on most of these forums, but the time has come to post.

First-
Tony, you're right. Those have got to be the WORST leathers I have ever seen! And if the picture is accurate, the look like they're a little big for you besides (us fat guys don't have to worry too much about loose fitting leathers) :D
i'm not fat, that's my lunch!!! :rolleyes: :)

actually, the leathers are looser than what most people would wear from a safety stand-point. but i like my leathers to fit a bit loose. tight leathers are very difficult for me (long story).

the sad part is the dainese v-storm suit came in two color combo's.

the black, white, aqua, pink and purple i have (all on one suit)

and the black, white, yellow, orange, and red, which a guy i know from nyc has.

we are both quite proud of our purchases. he paid 499 and i paid 465 for race-quality dainese leathers. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
All,

First let me start by thanking DryHeat and Mike for their kind words. I'd also like to say that Steve is my best friend and always looking out for me, which I'm always grateful for!

I do enjoy taking photos of you guys (and girls) and love to share them with the community. I also enjoy the credit and links back to my site where other people can hopefully find photos of themselves.

Totally agree that putting "watermarks" across images is a personal choice and doesn't reflect negatively on anyone doing it. I choose not to as the images posted are far inferior than the original image and I would hope that someone would ask me for a better copy even if they only wanted to use it as a screen image. My prints are dramatically better than the ones posted as they are hi-res and have post-production processing applied to them. Another reason I don't do put "tags" on my images is due to the sheer volume. This past weekend I shot over 2000 photos. Threw away a lot of them and kept ones that I thought people might be interested in, not necessarily purchase. Some are included to show the rider their technique or a sequence that they can use to evaluate their line.

I would disagree that the digital images don't compare with 35mm images. The don't compare at the 72dpi I use to post images on the web, but they stack up nicely on prints of 11x14 and smaller. So much so that I sold a Minolta Maxxum 7 system in December to make the switch.

As for "profit on a digital photo sale" being astronomical, the cost of my photo gear alone will never put me in the black with my meager sales. Also the time spent shooting (usually a half to full-day) and time spent in post-processing work to make sure the print is high-quality, usually results in a product at a good value. I don't think $10 for an 8x10 is "raping" anyone.

I do appreciate the support you guys give me and hope you feel the same way about my service to you. I do sell quite a few prints, and sometimes a few digital images, but I have also given away many of my digital shots to riders that I've become friends with. I also try and support the racers just getting started with their own web sites and donate photos for them to use.

I hope this is taken constructively and that you come away with the message that:
- I like doing what I'm doing
- Many of you like what I'm doing
- I like the friendships that this "hobby" has built
- It's great getting to know more of you!

Hopefully, many of you will agree...
Cecil

...peace out

·
Registered
44 Posts
YellowVifferGuy said:
Totally agree that putting "watermarks" across images is a personal choice and doesn't reflect negatively on anyone doing it.

Thanks.

Another reason I don't do put "tags" on my images is due to the sheer volume. This past weekend I shot over 2000 photos. Threw away a lot of them and kept ones that I thought people might be interested in, not necessarily purchase. Some are included to show the rider their technique or a sequence that they can use to evaluate their line.
And that is one thing that makes what Cecil does so valuable. Where i shoot maybe 60 frames on a weekend, maybe 15 or 20 come out "good" and perhaps 5 come out "great", Cecil can take hundreds of frames. Some are good and some are great, but the sheer number of images makes his odds much better.

I really do appreciate the "terrible" pictures of me that Cecil took. When I compare the pictures of me with the pictures of other (more accomplished) riders, I really learn quite abit about what i was doing (doing wrong) while out on the track. Although i dont want to buy them, they are still valuable. I'm not so sure my work falls into that same category of being so useful. I just don't shoot enough frames to allow it.

Thanks for that Cecil.

I would disagree that the digital images don't compare with 35mm images. The don't compare at the 72dpi I use to post images on the web, but they stack up nicely on prints of 11x14 and smaller. So much so that I sold a Minolta Maxxum 7 system in December to make the switch.
This is a great point of debate in the photographer circles right now. Frankly, I'll tell you, I'm a bit bitter regarding digital...yet at the same time i think there is a difference, depending on some variables. Sometimes digital yields a better shot, simply through the sheer number of shots taken and the law of averages. Sometimes film results are better. Most people may not really care, who knows.

As for "profit on a digital photo sale" being astronomical, the cost of my photo gear alone will never put me in the black with my meager sales. Also the time spent shooting (usually a half to full-day) and time spent in post-processing work to make sure the print is high-quality, usually results in a product at a good value. I don't think $10 for an 8x10 is "raping" anyone.
Cecil, if you are selling 8x10's for $10.00 than i need to shake your hand. That is truly noble. If you are, i would feel obligated to apologize.

The digital guys at the CCS Firebird Race were selling dozens of generic looking 11x14's for $40.00 each. They were acting like door-to-door salesman. (All smiles of course, for that kinda cash who wouldn't smile) But the color was pasty, the graphics they threw into the pictures were a bit cheesy, and everyone looked like racing statues. I felt that was not a very good value to the racers, and took advantage of the fact that many racers come to the races with some extra cash in hand for emergencies.

I do appreciate the support you guys give me and hope you feel the same way about my service to you. I do sell quite a few prints, and sometimes a few digital images, but I have also given away many of my digital shots to riders that I've become friends with. I also try and support the racers just getting started with their own web sites and donate photos for them to use.

I just want to let everyone know that Cecil was more than willing to lend me advice on www.photo.net forums regarding technique when shooting bikes and without his help my photos would not be near as good. He deserves another thankyou for that.

;)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
dryheat said:
Thought I would add to the matching leathers discussion...

One thing I would like to say, alot of credit should go to Cecil Walker who took the photos everyone is enjoying. I know I appreciate his efforts.

Thanks Cecil-great job!

Oh here's his website where alot more can be found http://www.cecilwalker.com/PhotoSite/motorsports.html
DRYHEAT! Where the hell ya been?? You sure got that Duck leaned waaay over. Did you scrape any hard parts???:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guys-
I'm overwhelmed by the response to Patrick's, Cecil's, and my posts. I don't know about Cecil, but a tag line under future pics giving him credit was what I hoped to see come from my post. You guys went above and beyond. Thanks.

I just wanted to make sure he got a little recognition for what he does for us, and a little exposure (no pun intended) so others can take advantage of his labors, and keep him motivated with their response.

Now you've gone and given him a big ego. He may not associate with the group of us that's going to WSB in July at Laguna. We're just mere mortals. He'll probably be hanging out with the pro photographers and camera crews at the track. I can see the print prices rising already........(just kidding!).

As for the "friend" thing, say what you will. I can always bribe other unsuspecting motorcycle racing enthusiasts to hang around with me.... :(

So Wayne, this one's for you, babe: :twofinger (just kidding!)

And Tony- I wasn't implying YOU were fat, actually just the opposite. But if you are, welcome to the fat racer's club! :D

Later,

1 - 20 of 42 Posts