Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very strange angles and positions....

Might want to add a little bit of background to the pictures....

very clean bike though...

Anyone wants to clean my bike in exchange for photography lessons ? =)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was having major problems getting them up...it started out as a quick picture of the bike for myspace or something and it turned into a hour long photoshoot, lol!

Now what do you think?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The 1st picture is an interesting angle but its boring; probably the better of the three. Widen the aperture to blur the ground a bit so its not so definitive. The 2nd picture, not sure what your composure was. The 3rd picture, try to find an interesting background instead of a tree. Remember, the background is just as important as the foreground.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I totally agree with the background advice. Perhaps something a little less cluttered to really bring out the bike. However, aside from the crookedness from the first shot, I think the ground is so uniform that it creates a sort of blunt contrast between smooth plastic and corse asphault. Now, if it were cracked and dirty it would make much more sense to blur it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
JBaz said:
...Widen the aperture to blur the ground a bit so its not so definitive...
One of the reasons I prefer my big lens when I use my old SLR. Puts the subject in sharp focus and blurs everything in front and behind. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Nah, the 1st picture asphalt is very detailed to the point that it looks like noise/grain, specially on a black and white. It's very distracting. If your going with straight edges in composure, you want to make sure that it gets their attentions easier and having a distracting asphalt/background doesn't help one bit in a straight/boring frame. It might of helped if you had a helmet and/or gloves on the ground on the asphalt, but other then that, it would be useless to have it in the DOF.

The 2nd shot, I would have probably used a subject standing in the background posing. Doesn't have to be a girl, could be just you or your friend hold a helmet, walking toward the bike or standing still either posing or doing a candid shot. And having more of the rear rim in the frame would definitely help. Think lower either including more or less of the bike sideways (taking up the frame) and then including the subject in the negative space (background). Try one with a wide aperture focused on the bike and one focused on the subject. I probably would guess focusing on the subject would make for a better composure.

While black and white is a nice feature, it should be only used sparingly on portrait pictures with high contrast (values between the darkest and the lightest spots in your picture). The GSXR closeup is better in color.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts