Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering this for a long time but what are the differences between the MotoGP bikes and the AMA bikes? Why don't the manufacturers sell the MotoGP bikes?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Because they put out 260 RWHP @ ~300 lbs out of a 990 CC V-4/I-4/V-5 motor. All the stuff that's used to make one is best of the best, the least expensive bike is about 1/2 million bucks I belive. They constantly fight for performance and traction with these bikes. The AMA bikes are basically show room bikes that are tweaked with aftermarket parts. Superstocks and Supersports are very close to stock bikes, while Superbikes are little more modified for power, putting out about 190-210 hp at rear wheel.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thats like asking how come they dont sell F1 cars to the public. No matter how nasty litre bikes are, GP is a whole different planet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
its a different engine design too..."growler engines"

plus the fact that people of normal size cant really fit on them because they're so small. for example...a lot of people say ben spies will never get to motogp because he's too big, but he can still fit on an AMA bike.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
conrice:
Whats a growler engine?

MotoGP also prohibits the manufacturers from using production parts in their bikes. Everything has to be a prototype. A few years ago suzi got fined for using the connecting rod ends...

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I had read somewhere that the MotoGP bikes if you include all the R&D, the mechanics, and stuff their bikes are valued around 2 to 3 million each.

·
Registered
217 Posts
VASH:

they're also called big-bang engines. from what i understand (which isnt much) the engines are 4 cylinders, but the 2 inners fire simultaneously and the 2 outter ones fire simultaneously. they're too much for the street to be made reliable.

i read about it on speedzilla. if you want, you can go there and search growler engines and it'll take you to 2 threads on them. the $80,000 ducati coming out in a few years has this technology.

i guess it just makes more torque along with high revs and higher horsepower. not sure though.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Gotcha. I've heard of big bangs, just never heard of them refered to as growler.
I think the switched to firing the two inners at once, and the outer sequentially. The idea is to give the rear tire more "idle" time between power pulses to regain traction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts