Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another good reason to join the AMA if you have not already done so. The AMA (American Motorcycle Association) their mantra is Rights. Riding. Racing. Well we support Riding and Racing that is for sure. We all ride and most of us follow the AMA circuit. We had around 20 people associated with Redline go to Mid-Ohio, an AMA Sanctioned Race. Well now is the time to get into the Rights part of it. Follow this link to see what the latest and greatest is for our riding rights. See if you can help if you can.

The "An Justice For All Campaign" is a good thing for penaltys to people who are neglegent driving and only get slapped with a fine rather than prison for killing a motorcyclist.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/justice/index.asp

Check it out...the AMA is here for us.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Kevlar7R said:
In addition to the Justice for All campaign, the AMA has finally begun to take a stance on loud pipes, and the negative effect it has on ALL motorcylists.

Support the AMA!!!!
Yeah those Sound & Fury articles on loud exhaust are really interesting.

Another victory is the approval of bike-crash research in congress.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Couldnt find the loud pipes article... linky?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Loud pipes BS

Several reports lend support to this claim as they suggest that virtually two thirds of all accidents involving a motorcycle and another motor vehicle are a direct result of a motorist in the car turning into the lane of a motorcycle and violating the motorcyclist’s right of way.
Motorcycle Safety foundation

When I hear the BULL SHIT that Loud Pipes saves lives, I have to snicker. It's just a justification for the V2 crowd for there loud and obnoxious exhaust.

If over 60% of motorcycle accidents happen directly in front of the motorcycle, what direction is the sound going from said motorcycle boys and girls?

Maybe directly away from the on-coming vehicle?

So the moral of the story is visibility. Riding with your bright lights on during the day is one, but it has also been proven that a bright colored helmet also works. Your helmet will be seen better cause of the height of your helmet is closer to eye level to the cagers.

Steven

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
so you are saying that people in front of motorcycles cant hear them?

just because exhaust is expelled out the back of a bike doesnt mean that the sound is too

im not saying i support super loud exhausts...but i really do think it comes down to rider responsibility...just dont do stupid shit in places where people will be irritated, it just brings out the "bad ass rebel" stereotype that everybody hates and doesnt want to see around, and it hurts the whole motorcycle community. i like loud exhausts, i had aftermarkets on every motorcycle, every dirtbike, the quad i bought has one, my car, everything. but im respectful and responsible with it. theres a time and a place for people to hear your exhaust, and its not in neighborhoods or through populated towns.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Neller,

The AMA article speaks to the points you are making. Its impossible for the public to distinguish between someone being responsible with an aftermarket pipe, and the Harley guys who get off on blowing eardrums.

I live half a mile from one of the largest Harley Dealership in the state, so I am very aware of the throttle behaviors of your loud pipe guys. I must add, I have yet to be awaken by a sportbike, regardless of stock or aftermarket exhaust.

Maybe if Harleys were fast, the sound wouldn't be so painful. They pin these things to the stop, and just sit there, well, I guess they are technically accelerating. If they actually accelerated, the source of the sound would be gone much sooner.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Kevlar7R said:
Maybe if Harleys were fast, the sound wouldn't be so painful. They pin these things to the stop, and just sit there, well, I guess they are technically accelerating. If they actually accelerated, the source of the sound would be gone much sooner.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Maybe this comes from living in a small town, but I really dont see what the big deal is. Yeah, there are loud bikes, loud trucks, and cars with loud stereos. So long as they dont sit in the parking lots in the middle of the night making as much noise as possible, I really dont care. I wouldnt say that either of those categories is any more annoying then the other... You want to see something that gives us a bad image, read all the "I broke his mirror off" thread...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts