Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it almost happened. I went to class tonight, decided to take the bike. I put my BRIGHT ORANGE disc lock on with the little magnet reminder over the ignition. I went to class and not even 20 minutes in to it a counselor came in and asked if anyone owned a red motorcycle. At this point I stopped breathing. I rose up and said that I did. She said to follow her. I met her outside and she said that someone tried to take off with the bike. I guess someone scared them away. I went out and my baby was on her left side. I could of cried :(. One of the security guards (or lack there of) helped me pick it up. I looked at the fairings, scratches, no major damage. I guess they rested it slowly on the ground. That was nice of the bastards at least. I noticed that the bike was away from the curb by about 1-2 feet. I looked at the disc lock, yup, the slapnuts pushed the bike forward breaking the right caliper. Now I was pissed. I am surprised that they did not see the disc lock being orange and all. I took off the lock and turned it on, not starting it. I rolled it back and forth to see if the brake even worked. It did...barely. Since I did not live that far I limped it home. Just to be safe I pulled a Flintstones and used my feet and rear brake. I got it home and tried to see if there was any more damage. Only damage:
Caliper
Disc itself chipper
Minorly Scratched left fairing
My pride!
I am going to call my insurance and see what my deductible is. Hopefully it won't be that much.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Dude, that really sucks. But at least the bike was there. Hope it isn't to bad. Remember one thing, some companies will increase your rates if you make a claim, so the damage had better cost a lot of money to repair to make up for the deductable and the potential rate increase. By your description, sounds as if you would be better off paying out of pocket.

·
Registered
938 Posts
That does suck!

A shop here in Cinci. sells these 1' x 2" vinyl signs that attach to the disc lock itself. They say "Remove before Takeoff" and the vinyl itself is a very bright orange. Therefore, it is almost impossible to miss. This may or may not have helped in your case, since they missed/ignored your bright orange disc lock. It may be worth the $2 the sign costs, if it helps "slapnuts" notice the lock.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
You are going to be even more pissed when you price that caliper bracket. :eek:

I broke the bracket on my '96 VFR by rolling the disc lock. Boy what a dumbass I was. ;) The bracket was very expensive.

Good luck and I'm glad the damage was minimal. :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That really sucks. Just wondering if anyone uses one of those locks that goes over the grip and engages the front brake? Might have helped in this case.

S

·
0 Posts
RRDon said:
It may be worth the $2 the sign costs, if it helps "slapnuts" notice the lock.
Yes I agree with Don, Make it noticable to the Theif that he has to remove the lock first ;) :D :p

I don't know how easy it is to remove a disc lock, but if the theif wants it he's gonna get it.

Did you Guys see the picture of his bike ? Really nice ... Sorry man :(

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Insurance

Well, I contacted the insurance company last night about it. They said my Deductable is $100!! I almost fell out of my chair when they said that. I thought I had a $250 or more. What pisses me off even more is the fast that it is supposed to be 70 the next 7 days if not longer. But oh well, life goes on. I will let you know what the total damage will be as soon as I find out.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No body came forward at least to say if they saw it happen. I doubt that the counselor did it though. THe faculty lot is on the other side of the campus.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I have NO patience for a thief. Sorry to hear what happened.

On another note, based on the stories of accidentally leaving the disc lock on, you aren't the only ones. I think everyone does it eventually. I have suggested to people who use them to tie a rawhide shoelace to the lock and a loop in the other end. Place the loop up around the throttle/brake lever as a reminder that the lock's still on.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Parts

I called the bike shop. From what I told them they figure that I need a new mounting bracket, which is the only that broke, and more than likely a new rotor. Over $400 in just parts. I should know more this weekend when I take it in.

BUT I WANT TO RIDE NOW!!!!!!!! :mad: :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Jester, but at least they didn't get the bike.

Dad, I hate thieves, too. Nothing worse than someone screwing with the stuff that you worked your ass off for. :mad:

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$$$

Well, Progressive met me at my house on my lunch, looked at the damage and cut me a check. They think that I should replace the left fairing, it only has 3 little scratches on it. They said that I don't have to have that fixed if I don't want too. I might invest in some engine work instead. I will see this weekend, the bike place said they could work with me on parts and stuff, i get a 10% discount since I "belong" to a club. Not really, I just hang with them. www.quartermileclub.org if anyone is interested. I made the site. I will let everyone know what happens. Thanks for your support, it is greatly appreciated. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thieves, gotta hate'em

That sucks, but it sucks even worse to come home after being gone a few days and the bike being gone....and no sign of it for a week...and no insurance. Got lucky and got it back though.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Rug Burn said:
That really sucks. Just wondering if anyone uses one of those locks that goes over the grip and engages the front brake? Might have helped in this case.
I use one. For the fear of doing the damage to the caliper. I have seen and know people who put schruchies on the grip and brake lever to remind them about the rotor lock. A schrunchy (spelling?) is the rubber band thingy girls (and people with mullets like squidwannabe) put in their hair to hold it up.
The only thing about the lever locks is the lever can be cut and the lock dangle while the thief rides off with a one finger long brake lever. But if someone wants your bike they will get it no matter what. I am just trying to keep the honest people honest.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
$$$

Well, I took the bike to the shop today. I opted to not get the fairing repalced. A 1 inch scratch is hardly worth replacing the whole thing. Instead I got the factory manual for it and a K&N Air Filter. Should get her back friday, just in time for a weekend ride. :D

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I took a small binder clip from my office and attached it to a small ring that the lock will go through. When the lock is not installed it holds the clip and ring. When the lock is installed the binder clip is place on the starter button. It has yellow tape on it as an extra precaution. Never forgot the lock again. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts