Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am coming down the interstate doing about 80 or so in a 75 on a soft left turn. Suddenly, the steering gets wicked stiff. I lean over the side of the bike and notice that my front tire pressure is rapidly decreasing. I muscle her over to the median. Down to about 45 or so now, the handlebars start trying to go in to a tank slapper. I tell myself over and over and over, and (did I say over enough?) over soft hands, ease on the rear brake. As I tried to ease my weight back and continue with the soft hands drag the rear chant, she slowed down to about 10 miles per hour and leveled out. Quite the bitch to try and steer, but somehow I made it safely to a gas station and called in for a pickup. Once at the gas station, I realized that I had run over a nail. Guess who's getting new tires! Damn those nails in the road, but thank God for 12 years of riding under my belt. Honestly, that was the first time I have ever blown a tire while riding.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Wow, mate, sounds like a serious a**e-pucker moment! :eek:

Glad you were able to put your expertise to good use and make a safe "landing". :thumb:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I might be able to take a dump by Friday. I was kind of surprised that I kept myself together, but somehow I got through there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Goes to show how experience pays off. How many newbies would have freaked and slammed on the brakes?

But, they all want that brand new RR and they'll take it "easy". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Vipes said:
Goes to show how experience pays off. How many newbies would have freaked and slammed on the brakes?...
I see your point but, to be fair, a newb on a 250 would still likely panic and do the same thing,

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out of instinct to slow down, I almost grabbed the front brake. The hardest part was trying to control the bars when they started shaking. I ended up straining my bicep and shoulder a bit. As for the tire, yeah, I only had about 800 miles on it, so that kind of sucks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that most of all, I am extremely glad that I came out of it with no scratches or dents to myself or my bike and am able to share this experience so maybe someone else can learn from it without having any severe consequences.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Is not experience an amazing thing when it ccomes to situations line the one you just had? I would have probably done the same thing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
MSMYTH said:
As for the tire, yeah, I only had about 800 miles on it, so that kind of sucks.
that was my first question. lol. that sucks!

But good to hear you got it under control and didnt have to buy new plastics AND underwear

·
Registered
265 Posts
cookeetree said:
I see your point but, to be fair, a newb on a 250 would still likely panic and do the same thing,
My original comment was regarding to experience all together. The second comment was an "in addition to". That's why they were 2 seperate paragraphs. Sorry, should have been more specific. :D

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
MSMYTH said:
I think that most of all, I am extremely glad that I came out of it with no scratches or dents to myself or my bike and am able to share this experience so maybe someone else can learn from it without having any severe consequences.
Good work :thumb:

·
Registered
892 Posts
MSMYTH said:
Yeah. I might be able to take a dump by Friday. I was kind of surprised that I kept myself together, but somehow I got through there.
ya i didnt shit for almost 2 days after my wreck. a combination of pain killers and trauma will do that to you. your body just has better things to do :p

i had 900 miles on my very first tire when i go my nail. it never happens when you've run the rubber so far you cant see the wear marks....where i currently am lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts