Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since I'm a new rider and I wanted to get a little road experience, so I figured I'd wake up bright and early on a Sunday morning and take the bike out for a little spin around the neighborhood where there's no traffic. I'm at a four way stop with my buddy, I'm about to get started, then I pop the clutch too fast and stall...normally I wouldn't panic but there was a vehicle behind me waiting. got a little nervous and couldn't get going. finally when I do get it I forget I'm supposed to be turning left, make the turn too late, panic, and instead of closing the throttle to slow down I open it- before I know it I'm zooming straight towards a scary looking stucco house. finally hit the brakes, come to a stop on this persons front lawn about 7 feet away from the front window... :rolleyes: I keep thinking if I hadn't gotten my head back on straight and braked I could quite possibly have met with the stucco...
My buddy came rolling up a couple seconds later, got a good laugh out of that one...I would pay money to see what I looked like :D . anyway thought i'd share my newbie learning experience with everyone. ride safe, and don't hit no houses...:twofinger

·
Registered
925 Posts
I almost hit a car straight on, because the dickwad was completely in my lane (not just two of his tires, he was COMPLETELY in my lane), on a back road, in broad day light, going about 25mph around a bend. Luckily I know that corner ALWAYS has gravel in it, so I was slowed way down, or else I quite possibly wouldn`t be here typing this. He took his time to get back into his own lane, and I gave him the finger, he replied with a smile... It took all I had in me to not turn around and put a nice size dent in his quarter panel:mad: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Was the owner home? That would have been great if he would have turned the sprinklers on you:D

·
Registered
251 Posts
do they have msf classes in canada????

aprilia, i would of fuked his shite up!! lol but good job cause im stupid but you did the right thing!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing the person was either sleeping or wasn't home. I was just glad nobody came out to laugh at me while I was rolling off the lawn. As for MSF classes, we do have safety courses here, which I will be enrolling in as soon as spring time rolls around. the courses are over for this year as we're on the brink of winter :crying: . damn Canada and its snow!!!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
felix: This is in the middle of the two best riding months of the year for us m/cists. September & October are the times of colour in the leaves. Do not give up riding or taking a safety course at this time of year. Your bit of a scare is good enough reason for the latter.

Back around '50 I was scooting back to the shop with 100% Matchless 500 scrambler (now called MX), from practicing, when a darn dog & I nearly collided. I jumped the curb in trying to duck the stupid dog, into & through this high shrub fence, left hand toren off the clutch lever side & I am up against an OLD all shingle house nearly running into this elderly woman down on her knees working of the flowers only by this time I am with my elbow into the shingle sidings & hands on the clutch & brake levers. Greatly apoligized to the lady & she came up with something "Yes isn't that dog simply awfull". I looked back at the damaged shrub fence & said I would see to have this corrected & she told me that happend by a car coming through the shrub fence due to the same dog. Contacted driver, as I knew him & he said he would take care of the shrub fence & really wanted to take care of the dog as well.

Oh yes you have not had any problems with dogs yet have you!!!!!!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
School parking lot

Fexlix . . . Do not ride on the street. Go to a local school parking lot and spend enough time there to become intimately familiar with your bike's controls. Then and only venture out onto the street.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been practicing for awhile in a parking lot and will continue to, but since there's absolute minimal traffic in my area in the morning I thought it would be a good opportunity to practice on somewhat real roads. I'm not planning on getting into any traffic areas until after i've taken the course. and Smitty, I don't plan on giving up riding until the first snow falls, but courses here are extremely limited and the last course was offered in early september...now I must wait till the new year...:( oh well.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey man, we talked before about a month or so ago. I moved to Stoon for school now, and I've got my scoot here so if you ever want a little help or anything let me know. Schedule isn't too demanding, but this week is supposed to be some kinda 'adopted binging' week.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
welcome to the city. how's stoon treatin ya? don't see too many bikes out nowadays...must be the cooler weather :( .

·
Registered
352 Posts
I love it here man, what a great city. The university is awesome too, I'm living on res, so campus is home and it's a beautiful place to be. I'm still out there as often as I can, but I really haven't found anywhere great to bike around here. Just go up and down Spadina every few days to enjoy the river. Made the mistake of going at 5:00pm last time though, man my clutch hand hurt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts