Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a letter in the mail yesturday that my insurance will be dropped next week for the reason on the letter saying "The high performance capabilities of your 2001 Yamaha".....I read that and got pissed off right off the bat. I have wrecked or done anything wrong on my bike before. Hell its brand new and only been insured for a month. Not to mention I also have Property and 5 autos under Allstate.

I called my Agent and he said he is confused as well and didn't know what was going one. He said Allstate may have put my bike on a "BAD motorcycle list" and that they will not insure those bikes. He's going to look into it for me....I'll let you guys know...

·
Registered
74 Posts
And you THOUGHT you were in good hands with Allstate.

Tell 'em you're gonna cancel the rest of your policies with them. They'll get right, quick.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I haven't received any such notice form Allstate about my R1...yet. I'll pull all my other policies if they do though. :mad:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Uh oh

I have Allstate too, but I've had nothing but great dealings with them. I hope they dont pull that crap with me....

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My advice to you that have not received any notice from Allsnake is not to rock the boat for now. They would not insure my bike because it is on their "List"!!
When I last looked at their list Ducati's were not on the list,for example!!!:confused:

They won't insure me or my 1991 R/S Camaro either. I have no tickets on my record and am "old"!!
Allstate SUX!!!
The agent told me about cars:" If it has 2 doors and looks fast Allstate will not insure it!"
Screw 'em!
I am with Progressive for the last couple years now and including towing:a 12 month policy full coverage is $245.oo for a year!!:)
I'd be worried,you Allstate policy holders,if you happen to have an accident; if they would be there when you need them!!!:(:( A friend had a car accident and had to sue Allstate to get them to cover him!!
Good luck folks!!!

JIM

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
On the bright side, and in defense of Allstate:

1. Maybe the reason my insurance is, and has been, so low on my F4, 900RR and VFR is because they are cautious about who/what they insure. I say that’s good business! I’m sure happy with the rate and coverage I have :D ($480/year full coverage and it was only $500 on my 900RR)

2. I had owned my 1999 F4 for exactly two months when I totaled it. I had given Allstate the small down payment and ONE payment to follow. They not only paid for the Entire bike and jacket and helmet, they also paid to have the bike towed THREE times just because I didn’t like the shop it got taken to originally. They paid very promptly and with total courtesy. I was on my 900RR 30 days after the accident.

I will never leave Allstate... unless they put my bike on the list

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
HondaNut! said:
1. Maybe the reason my insurance is, and has been, so low on my F4, 900RR and VFR is because they are cautious about who/what they insure. I say that’s good business
I work for an insurance company (have nothing to do with rates, sorry). That's exactly how insurance companies are profitable. The whole idea behind having insurance is that you are "sharing" the risk of a loss with everyone else who holds a policy. "Adverse selection" means that the people who really need insurance (i.e. high-risk) are the ones you don't want to insure, because the premium they pay won't come close to the money you pay out in claims to them. Think about it: if John Doe buys a GSXR1000 on his 16th birthday, do you want to take $50/month from him knowing that in less than two months you'll probably have to write him a check for $10,000? It sucks to pay insurance, but it's a necessary evil. ;)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
katana600 said:
...I'd be worried,you Allstate policy holders,if you happen to have an accident; if they would be there when you need them!!!:(:( A friend had a car accident and had to sue Allstate to get them to cover him!!
Good luck folks!!!

JIM
He is right. Allstate sucks!! They owe me $34,000. I have not seen a penny. On top of that they tried to put the claim on my policy and make me pay a deductible. The accident I was in was not my fault. In fact the F****R left the scene. My medical cost was $130,000.00. They are trying to justify paying a mere $30,000.

I have not recieved any letter either.
As far as Progressive. They suck too. They wanted $7400 to insure my bike. I only paid $7605. Why bother insuring it? :eek:

·
Registered
517 Posts
HondaNut! said:
...1. Maybe the reason my insurance is, and has been, so low on my F4, 900RR and VFR is because they are cautious about who/what they insure. I say that’s good business!...
Sure, make sense, but the original post said he had a clean record and several other policies with the same company. Not so good business to piss off your paying customers.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I know it sucks, I dont deny that, but is the original poster an experineced rider? How long with license? etc.

Plus, we all know that Ins. companies have black lists which sucks too, but if insurance companies just insured anyone, rates would be higher for everyone cuz their costs in claims would be higher right?

Hey, R-sixer, keep us posted on the outcome. The other thing that REALLY sucks about this is that they quoted you an acceptable rate for the bike, so you went and got it, and now they wanna drop you out of the blue?! WTF are you supposed to do with the bike if you cant afford to insure it and its financed? That would burn me

·
Registered
72 Posts
The "man" has his thumbs on everyone's back!

HondaNut! said:
I know it sucks, I dont deny that, but is the original poster an experineced rider? How long with license? etc.

Plus, we all know that Ins. companies have black lists which sucks too, but if insurance companies just insured anyone, rates would be higher for everyone cuz their costs in claims would be higher right?

Hey, R-sixer, keep us posted on the outcome. The other thing that REALLY sucks about this is that they quoted you an acceptable rate for the bike, so you went and got it, and now they wanna drop you out of the blue?! WTF are you supposed to do with the bike if you cant afford to insure it and its financed? That would burn me

Since I have had my TL, I have been with Geico, Progressive and now with USAA. Geico didn't even have a sportbike policy in Hawaii, but they let me ride with the same rates I had with my CB 750, which was 400$$ a year. After my 6 months ran out on my old policy they gave me the "No Vaseline" policy which was 396$ every 3 months. Progressive was just about as bad. Anyways, I now have USAA and I have full coverage on the bike and liability on my car at a whopping $299.05 every 6 months for both. I don't get it. I don't know who under writes their policies, but if you were in the military, check them out....hopefully everything works out. :D :cool:
Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
katana600 said:

The agent told me about cars:" If it has 2 doors and looks fast Allstate will not insure it!"
Screw 'em!

JIM
Don't know about your agent, my Boxter is classified as a 2 door sedan..:confused:

I don't know much about insurance, but I think the way bikes get on the list is by make history and not by comparble models.. I don't think they can really say that a 929 and R1 are one class and F4i and R6 are another.

Case and point.. my 929 is cheaper to insure than my VTX. Reason they told me. They have a "safe" history with the 929 and no history on the VTX, so they went by displacment. My luck, the only 1800cc cruiser :)

I currently pay $600 for the 929 and $700 for the VTX. Full coverage High limits, 28 married 1 ticket. Is this high or fair?

P

·
0 Posts
bumblebeast said:
I currently pay $600 for the 929 and $700 for the VTX. Full coverage High limits, 28 married 1 ticket. Is this high or fair?
High or fair is a very subjective issue, since rates vary greatly from one geographic location to another. Here in Houston, most insurance companies want upwards of $2,000/year for full coverage on a sportbike, whereas the same insurance companies would quote less than $1,000 if I lived in B.F.T. (where RCJohn lives). And that's for a 36 yr. old, married guy with two murder convictions. ;)

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
katana600 said:
......................I'd be worried,you Allstate policy holders,if you happen to have an accident; if they would be there when you need them!!!:(:( A friend had a car accident and had to sue Allstate to get them to cover him!!
Good luck folks!!!

JIM

Here's a true story about Allstate Insurance which should give you all a strong understanding of how "F"ed up Allstate is...

On December 28, 2000 (while driving my car, Thank God not while riding) I was rear-ended while sitting still. (The car that hit me was doing 40mph.) The kid that hit me told the responding police officer that he had his head down while adjusting the radio and never saw me. I hired an attorney to handle the property damage claim. After 5 months, my attorney (who is a rather well-known attorney in New Jersey) had yet to hear back from any Allstate representative despite constant letters, phone calls, filings, threats, etc... It got so bad that while attending a New Jersey BAR Association dinner my attorney had to pull aside a couple attorneys he knew who represented Allstate. He had a little "chat" with them, and I'm sure you'll all be as surprised as I was when you hear the Allstate attorney's response..."Of course you haven't heard back from anybody, it's only been 5 months?!" Only 5 months??? Are they "F"ing kidding me!? A couple weeks later my attorney was contacted by Allstate...finally. The Allstate claims adjuster scheduled an appointment to come by my office where the car was being stored. Problem solved right? WRONG!!! The claims adjuster, who lives 5 minutes from my office, cancelled his appointment TWICE. Well finally, last week (almost 6 months after the accident!) the claims adjuster was able to make it to our THIRD scheduled appointment and came by to settle the claim.

So now I've got an $800 legal bill, a P.O.S. car that has to be replaced, and a really bad taste in my mouth from dealing with Allsnake Insurance. And the simple truth is that, had I not hired such a prominent attorney, my claim would still be unsettled and who knows how long it would have taken to do so?!

-Dan

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am 22 no tickets or violations with basic liability and my ins. on my bandit is $296/yr. If I went with full coverage and some other crap it would jump up to $1500/yr.

Problem with ins. is that everyone HAS to be insured and we all know that half of the poeple on the road shouldn't be there. So skilled drivers/riders have to pay for all the poeple who crash even though they shouldn't even be on the road.

If I were to start my own ins. company I would make everyone take a fairly extensive driving test.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pete said:

And that's for a 36 yr. old, married guy with two murder convictions. ;)
Hmm do those help?? Will they coutner act the ticket I have? That one speeding violation upped it by about 20%.

Would like grand larceny and racketeering bring it down, or is it just the murders that do it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I havnt heard anything back from my agent yet, but someone on another forum did reply that he got the same letter on his Ninja 6R.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bait and switch

HondaNut! said:
The other thing that REALLY sucks about this is that they quoted you an acceptable rate for the bike, so you went and got it, and now they wanna drop you out of the blue?! WTF are you supposed to do with the bike if you cant afford to insure it and its financed? That would burn me
Progressive did something very similar to me. I was thinking about getting a used sport bike, and I was about to turn 25, so I figured it would be pretty cheap. I wasn't going to make the same mistake I did when I was 20 and buy a convertible 2 seater sports car before checking on insurance and end up paying $2400/yr, so I called my ins. company (Met Life). They don't do motorcycles, but they set me up with a policy through Progressive. The quote was $469/yr. I told them everything about the bike including the VIN. I paid the first payment with my VISA to get it put in effect right away. I get the next bill and that month is $553. They upped the premium to $1300!!! Their excuse was it's a high performance motorcycle and they didn't realize that when I first got the quote. I would never have bought the bike if I knew it was going to cost me $1300/yr! BTW: that's with a 5 month winter storage!

Insurance companies piss me off too!

:mad:

·
Registered
546 Posts
HondaNut! said:
On the bright side, and in defense of Allstate:

2. I had owned my 1999 F4 for exactly two months when I totaled it. I had given Allstate the small down payment and ONE payment to follow. They not only paid for the Entire bike and jacket and helmet, they also paid to have the bike towed THREE times just because I didn’t like the shop it got taken to originally. They paid very promptly and with total courtesy. I was on my 900RR 30 days after the accident.

I will never leave Allstate... unless they put my bike on the list

Same here guys they paid for my 2000 zx9r after I paid only the downpayment then I bought a new one got same price on insurance with them.I will say a fiend of mine tried to get insured and because of the bike he had they would not insure him.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts