Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's great to see that we are getting some real representation in MotoGP.
Of course there is
KRjr-Suzuki GSV-R, Suzuki Grand Prix Team
Colin Edwards-Honda RC211V, Telefonica Movistar Honda
Nicky Hayden-Honda RC211V, Repsol Honda
John Hopkins-Suzuki GSV-R, Suzuki Grand Prix Team
Whiney Kurtis Roberts -Proton KR5, Proton Team KR

·
Registered
271 Posts
So when will Moto GP invade the USA :rolleyes:

I think it's about time for a US race at Indy just like F1 or Daytona like the AMA.

I can't figure out what are they waiting for :dunno:

Those freaken people in charge are a bunch of idiots. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the US the Biggest Sportbike market in the world ?

I guess they think people may not go watch it like some AMA races but I think Moto GP will be different and way more exciting to watch. People will go to see the Moto GP race, especially with 5 America riders :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Drei, have you ever seen the amount of people that show up for a MotoGP race? It's more than an NFL game. Bike races are huge there. The US turnout wouldn't be near as great as it would there.

I'm not being a dick. I just read an article on this and this is one of the issues they pointed out. Personally, I think it sucks and I think we should have at least one MotoGP race here. I would fly anywhere in the continental US to see Rossi race in person. I don't think there will ever be another like him and it sure would be nice to see him.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I know the amount of crowd that a Moto GP race brings in over seas. It's just like F1. I watch both on TV religiously. That's why I said have it at Indy or Daytona that way it would be unbelievable and like no other place to see then go around the entire track.

That's why I said that they think that people wont go but I think they are wrong and underestimating. I sure people from all over the US would go including Canada and true enthusiast from around the world. I'm sure I would go with a bunch of friends just like you.

I think it would work, they just have to make it special and different and Moto GP at Indy or Daytona would be the key. :2cents:

Robert wow that's crazy Thanks. Europe as a whole bunch of Countries not just one would out sale the US but not separated by country alone.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've also heard that the racetracks arent up to " MotoGP Spec ". There was rumor or a GP race in Atlanta or at Barber, can't remember which one, but they said the facilities weren't ready or capable of handling a World Class event such as GP. If I'm wrong please correct me in this. I too would love to watch the likes of Rossi and the rest of GP mix it up on us soil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
From the owner of Daytona when asked if there would ever be a GP event at Daytona:

It would cost so much money to get them to let us have it that we wouldn't make any money.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read in the AMA magazine that they were planning a US GP at Barber but they decided that they want one season of hosting events under their belt before bringing the big boys over. As they say every year ...It looks like they are planning for next year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Drei said:
I know the amount of crowd that a Moto GP race brings in over seas. It's just like F1. I watch both on TV religiously. That's why I said have it at Indy or Daytona that way it would be unbelievable and like no other place to see then go around the entire track.

That's why I said that they think that people wont go but I think they are wrong and underestimating. I sure people from all over the US would go including Canada and true enthusiast from around the world. I'm sure I would go with a bunch of friends just like you.

I think it would work, they just have to make it special and different and Moto GP at Indy or Daytona would be the key. :2cents:

Robert wow that's crazy Thanks. Europe as a whole bunch of Countries not just one would out sale the US but not separated by country alone.

Man I am amazed no one called you an idiot. Do you have a clue what's going on outside of your own country? I can asure you it's not some hicks going around in circles in stupid oversized cars that's for sure. The Americans are not doing to well in GP but I think things should go half decent for Edwards. I also think Hayden will have at least one win and will show up more and more often on the podium. The all American Suzuki team who, knows if they will sort out their situation. I am calling that Rossi will be ridding hard and well like usual but get thrown off the M1 because of set up/tuning factors/new bike and that will place him second in the chapionship because of fierce competition from Sete Gibernau keeping the #1 plate with Honda. I see Caparossi and Hayden battling for third and if Biaggi doesn't do well from the start I see Baylis taking Biaggi for fourth or fifth. As for Moto Gp in North America I am sure what everyones saying about Barber having a stop on the calander for the 2005 season will happen, if not they will have some new course built so moto gp will be here before the end of the decade.

·
Registered
925 Posts
WRC is finally comming to this side of the pond so its only a matter of time before GP gets here I think. :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Jason, no need to call anyone an idiot. Remember that Drei is from another country and if anything, he is just passionate about motorcycling. Try not to call others names, man.

I disagree about MotoGP: Vale will probably win again next year, but he needed to switch bikes to give the competition a fair chance. He is just too good. Hayden will do much better and I agree that he will gain some podiums next year. He just needed/needs some time to learn what MotoGP is all about and time to learn the machine.

Just my :2cents: .

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn't say he was I just said I am amazed no one called him an idiot in regards to this comment." Those freaken people in charge are a bunch of (idiots). Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the US the Biggest Sportbike market in the world ?" I am not trying to be a total ass, just a little. A couple other things I was thinking about today were although I don't like Nascar and commented on that, I do like the fact that they do keep it controled so much to keep competition fair. Anyways back to bikes I forgot that Edwards is off the Aprillia so I figure one more head pushin past Biaggi. How ever it ends it should make for a more interesting season of watching. WRC on this side of the water? That's super cool to, I gota start following that more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MOTO GP

I'm station overseas about 15 vminutes from the Jerez track and let me tell you i don't think anyone does it like the spanish i've been to several bike ralleys state-side and they are awesome but here in spain i couldn't believe it this will be my third moto gp and i can't wait and as for as the riders the americans are doing it big props to hayden and the suzuki boys they need more horses to be competive now valentino i think he would win if he was riding my bike i mean this guy (valentino) after the 5th or 6th lap people are ready to go home but i'm looking forwar to the season and new M-1.

·
Registered
860 Posts
i really beleive if they hyped it up enough used the right kinda of marketing and were smart about it they could have one race a year in the US and make money...im not talking a killing i mean come out ahead.....i mean come on people went to see XFL

·
Registered
418 Posts
yea MotoGP will be coming to Barbar motorsports park here in the US but I'm not sure if they're planning for 04 or 05. That track is pretty nice, designed specifically for motorcycles, and finally up to par with the many great european tracks.

How about that Nicky Hayden too. I heard he got a lot of coaching from rossi last season and you can really see him improve as the season progressed. He was consistently placing higher every race, I think he might have even made the podium on the last one. He'll likely be showing up often in the front pack next year.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think a large part of the reason the USA struggles with a gig is fitting it into the calendar. Aussie, Malaysia, South Africa etc are southern hemisphere so we get our rounds when the weather in Europe is a bit crappy. Like right now here its around 30-40c while you guys are freezing.

In order to squeeze in the US they would have to add another round, or drop one in Spain, Holland, Italy or some such...and that will never happen. In Spain they have 3 rounds and get 200,000 people each round, plus the TV audience.

And I can't see (yet) why everyone raves about Hayden. He still rides the thing like a superbike and on technical (rather than fast) tracks is miles off the pace of the other Honda guys. Get behind a guy like Hopkins. Same bike and he is quicker than the ex world champ. Hopkins on a decent bike would be a sensation.

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts