Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., so I'm fumbling around looking for a used dirtbike, nothing serious, just a beater, something to putt around on. Perusing the issues of Cycle Trader for several months, I see things like a 1983 Suzuki RM250, in good condition...for $2,200.00! What did that thing cost *in* 1983? Porbably not much more than that, I would guess. Is that kind of pricing normal? And then I see a mid-90's RM250, 10 years newer, for just $800 more. Whaddup wit dat shee-ite, ma peeps?

·
Registered
582 Posts
The guy is obviously on dope for asking THAT much!!!I can give a ballpark on what a 1990 yz125 in fair shape goes for: anywhere between 1200 and 1800 depending on condition.....I found a page that had dirtbike bluebook values, but I can't seem to find it again... :-(
It's amazing just how well they do hold their value...Just like aluminum rowboats and trailers!!!Check out ebay motors just for pricing estimates....personally, I would stick with something 1990 and newer, just for parts availability, and performance...You Do want things like power disc brakes, front and rear...Just keep doing searches on yahoo for dirtbikes and that bluebook page will pop up "somewhere"...I hope you find you bike Pete!!I is really fun to goof around in the dirt....BTW, I'm still scared $hitless of my bike...I hit the powerband, and almost pooped my self!!!HAHAHAHA Jimmy G

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yuo may be right Dan, but that was just one example of a host of such ads.

Thanks Jimmy. Hearing you talk about your YZ makes me want it that much more. My 6 year old son is likely to get a dirtbike for his b-day in May, and I don't wanna just sit there *watching* him ride. ;)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Don't be a wuss, Pete.

2000 KAWASAKI, KX500 DEMO Was $5,399 Now $3,999 DLR., (407)-299-9191.

I picked-up my 2K KX500 for $3K, so you know they're out there.

"Do my balls look big on this KX500?" :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
Pete, have you gone with him looking at bikes???Let him sit on all of em' and see what fits him best...If it's going to be a surprise, you guys can still go out "looking"...Make sure the bike isn't too big, or too complicated...Some 50s have shifters...Some aren't adjustable, (speed limiters)....My friend tried to get his boy into bikes, and he wiped out, because the bike wasn't well suited for him...Ended his career, BEFORE it even started..Even when my guy wiped out, wasn't his fault, my stupid nephew ran IN FRONT OF HIM while he was going about 30mph....It took about 6 months before he would even go near the bike!!!Thank God, he was wearing FULL gear.....Some other tips I picked up, are to let him pick out his own helmet/goggles/boots/gloves...He'll be even MORE into the whole scene!!!NOT that you needed any of MY advice, but I figured I'd share it anyway, incase someone else might be skimming through!!!!Keep me posted!!!!!...Jimmy G

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul, the two-stroke Supermotard can wait. Did you forget that RCJohn is building me that Super Retard QA50?

Jimmy, that's all very good advice. He has spent many an hour in the shops with me, sitting on just about everything there is in his size range, Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Husqvarna, etc. Will do on keeping you posted.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pete,

Why are you looking at 2-strokes ? Why not a 4-stroke ? A klr250, dr350,(great bike)!! .... I think they are cheaper too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're looking at used bikes, look for one that's been raced by a halfway decent local racer. That sounds backwards, I know, but ANY bike will have been wrecked--it's the nature of dirt bikes--and racers are way better than the average spode about maintenance--ie, top ends, tires, greasing linkages, high-quality tires, chains, filters, oils & fluids, etc.

A mid 90s 250 should be in the $2-3k range depending on your area market and its condition. Depending on what type of riding you might want to do, 4-strokes are a safer buy; if they've been neglected, they can take a beating better. But they're heavy, and not NEARLY as responsive, and lack the finely tuned suspension of the mx bikes. But: they are way more forgiving, and especially if you are going to be on trails a lot, and maintenance is not as ciritcal. XR250s and 400s depending on your size and thirst for power are great, reliable bikes with lots of go-fast goodies available. And they're cheaper, last longer, and hold their value better.

That said, I'm getting ready to sell my XR200 (the Spode Chariot) and buy a KDX 200, which is a trail-oriented 2-stroke. I LIKE the 2-stroke hit but I don't want a pipey little 125 and a 250 is just too much at this point in my race career. And KDXs are cheap.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adam, I'm not looking exclusively at 2-stroke bikes. Actually, I'm looking much harder at 4-strokes, just using the RM250 ads as an example that applies to all dirtbikes in my area.

Firecracker, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Pete said:
...I'm not looking exclusively at 2-stroke bikes. Actually, I'm looking much harder at 4-strokes...
wussy.

Want the open-class, feel the open-class, be the open-class. C'mon, Pete, stop being a "one ball." Check out the 2-stroke 500's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
748_abuser said:
So does that apply to YZ 426s, KTM 520s, XR 650Rs? I rode a YZ 250F and that is NOT a wussy bike at all. Even the XR 400s and 250s rip with a headpipe and muffler, some jetting and if you really want to spend $$, a big bore 416 or 442 kit. A-loop, white brothers, powroll, thumper industries, fmf, pro-circuit, and many others make lots of cool thumper stuff to go fast. It's not LESS power, it's just DIFFERENT power. Look at Tim Ferry in the 250 class and Fonseca in the 125 class on Yamaha 4-strokes. I just can't afford one! I like both though. That 250F is a sweet bike. However, a friend has a 00 CR250 that I ride sometimes and nothing makes me grin like cracking that throttle . . . but it won't be long until 2-strokes are illegal. So 4-strokes are the wave of the future.

Speaking of the open class, anybody seen one of those CR500AFs that Service Honda builds? They're a 500 engine in a 250 aluminum frame. I rode with a couple guys in Reno who have them and wow, what power.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
firecracker22 said:

So does that apply to YZ 426s, KTM 520s, XR 650Rs? I rode a YZ 250F and that is NOT a wussy bike at all.
Firecracker, stick around SBW a while and you'll see that there is a LOT of good-natured teasing that goes on between a few of us. Paul's post was a prime example. I was going to say "good-natured ribbing between us," but that would have prompted one of Squidwannabe's sexually deviant comments. As it is, I am sure that he'll have something to say. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know it was good-natured--I just like to argue. :) I post a LOT on DirtRider.Net and we have the same type of crowd. It's a lot of fun and the 2-stroke/4-stroke argument is always a good one, kind of like Ford vs. Chevy. I keep getting the "you're going over to the dark side" jokes since I am selling my thumper and buying a smoker. Oh well, I tell them, I will smoke you! Then, of course, there's the BBR bikes, which I would own if I could afford one. As it is, I'm lucky enough to be friends with the guys so they let me borrow one if I want to. Those things scream.

Of course, thumpers are good "girl" bikes, so what would I do with a 2-stroke? :p

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Ok, enough already, I can't take it anymore. Firecracker, you rock!!! I thought the idea of a woman on a sportbike was about the sexiest thing imaginable-you proved me wrong :D .

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pete said:

Firecracker, stick around SBW a while and you'll see that there is a LOT of good-natured teasing that goes on between a few of us. Paul's post was a prime example. I was going to say "good-natured ribbing between us,"
but that would have prompted one of Squidwannabe's sexually deviant comments. As it is, I am sure that he'll have something to say. ;)
Don't wink at me .....

Firecracker, You tell him .... That 748_abuser is a wussy... My friend has a klr650 and its a bad boy. Im going home soon to ride it, on the road, in a foot of snow ... stay tuned tommorow for pictures :D:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hear all the time that men think women who are into any kind of motorsport are sexy. Well, here's something to think about: we're 5 times more expensive. The natural female urge to shop is still present, but we also want cool stuff for our bikes. So between racing dirt bikes and getting into street bikes and thinking about lifting my truck, I'm pretty much broke.

Oh well. Mom says I should start saving for a down payment on a house, but I'm having too much fun. What else is money good for except to enjoy? I'm going to order a new set of Troy Lee riding gear out of my next paycheck and I'm picking up my street bike coat and gloves too . . .

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hey Paul- did you get the KX to convert to motard or just dirt ride? It's one of the bikes on my short list. Either way, let me know about your experiences with it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Tristan said:
Hey Paul- did you get the KX to convert to motard or just dirt ride? It's one of the bikes on my short list. Either way, let me know about your experiences with it.
Tristan,

Bought it off a neighbor for $3K. Only had around 4 hours on it. Anyway, went with a 17" rear and a 19" front. Just mounted the Dunlop K591's a couple of weeks ago (one of the few decent street tires available in a 19"). Probably not one of the smarter things I've done in a while, but I've had it on the street a few times now. I have a friend who is helping me with electrics, so I can get it legalized for the street (I hope...maybe).

Riding Evaluation: Holy Mother of Jesus! It's scary fast. Short-shifting is the hot tip of the day. It will do 4th gear roll-on wheelies with ease. I haven't tried them in 5th, but I don't think it will be a problem! Turns are an absolute riot, I can literally power slide all the way through. I'm not really comfortable with it yet, due to the fact that I haven't had much seat time. The 500's (2-stroke) are probably overkill for a Supermotard, but if you have the balls, and lack half a brain, I HIGHLY recommend it! It's more fun than any sportbike I've ever ridden. The pucker marks on the seat are evidence of that! I see myself getting in LOTS of trouble in the near future. Email me if you want/need additional info.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My CR 500 can stand up in any gear at almost any RPM. The power is so addictive, I love it. I know I'm a little werd but I think it's easier to ride big bores than the little bikes. You don't have to shift all the time, your not always faning the clutch just twist the loud switch and go. It's also fun to watch the smaller bikes strugle to get up a hill and then start at the bottom at a stand still in second, hit third half way up and then have to let up at the top.

mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts