Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some feed back on this..97 gixxer 600, cut out the exsisting opening to allow more air to reach the carbs, this would also require a rejet, and a needle adjustment. I nned more toure, and more midrang hp..So anyone done this ? Also I plan on going 2 up on the rear sprocket, from stock, and do a 520 conversion.:D

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Hammer, at Border's, in the same section that has the Code books is a book titled something like Sportbike Performance, author's last name Cameron. It's similar in size to the Code books, has a ZX-11 on the front cover. That book explains a lot of the principles of operation and performance mods for sportbike engines, suspensions, etc. It might be worth a look to help with the background if you're going to start making changes. I don't own it but have glanced through it and it appeared to have some good basic info.

As far as the airbox mods go, I'd be very slow to touch that in any way unless you have a very specific mod that's tried and proven. Most air boxes are an extension of the whole intake system and what may look to be a problem or an insignificant looking part, may in fact be critical to good performance. As I recall, there was some detail on that subject in that book. Good Luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hammer
ive heard of people trying to open up their air box only to end up putting tape over the holes they drilled. It looks like it would be easy to open up your gixxer air box, but as you know, if its too good to be true, it probably is. I think i would leave it alone!! If you convert to a 520, would you be interested in selling your stock stuff??

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
biggie said:
Hammer
ive heard of people trying to open up their air box only to end up putting tape over the holes they drilled. It looks like it would be easy to open up your gixxer air box, but as you know, if its too good to be true, it probably is. I think i would leave it alone!! If you convert to a 520, would you be interested in selling your stock stuff??
Hey biggie, appreciate the input, but I've talked to lots of people bout the airbox mod, including guys that have done it, and my mechanic, who..as I've said before..use to wrench for a well known race team..so I plan on gettin that done, I'll post the results asap..as for the 520 conv..well I/we decided to retain the 525, I just upgraded to a gold DID X ring, and stayed with the steel sprockets.did go up 2 in the rear though .for the lasting factor..so I'll be keeping the stock stuff, which was in great shape..:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry for misinforming you:( Just what i had heard. Let me know what kind of results you have. I might just have to give it a try myself, but ill let you give it a shot first!:D

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
biggie said:
Sorry for misinforming you:( Just what i had heard. Let me know what kind of results you have. I might just have to give it a try myself, but ill let you give it a shot first!:D
hey no prob bro, I always welcome input..:D The one area that's kinda sticky..is the rejetting part, sometimes requires a few tries to get it right. have you changed your gearing yet ? if not go up 2 or 3 in the rear, keep the countshaft sprocket stock..maybe add a slip on??

And yeah..I'l let ya know what happens:D

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PJ1 said:
Hammer- want to go faster? Get a R6!!:eek:
What is it with you guys..just like to rag on the ol man here, or what ? Hmmm what's that sayin..90% rider 10% bike :D

Anyway..got nuthin against Yams, use to race em... Also HP isn't the main focus here, it's to try and get more midrange, and more tourqe..
have a nice day...:D :twofinger

·
Registered
76 Posts
not much goin on tonight, so I was just tryin to get a little rise out of ya. I cut the air filter on my 90 gsx600, not much difference. What about the K&N for your bike? Does it come with the center already cut?

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PJ1 said:
not much goin on tonight, so I was just tryin to get a little rise out of ya. I cut the air filter on my 90 gsx600, not much difference. What about the K&N for your bike? Does it come with the center already cut?
I know, other wise, I'd torn into ya..JK:D is kinda dead huh?

You cut the air filter, or the airbox ? the pic you see, has the K&N, it's the bottom of the airbox that's been cut out, stock there's like a much smaller oval duct that kinda sticks up, and around that duct, is a ridge, that seals the filter..sorta, so you cut the inside of that ridge, which opens the area, and allows more air in, but still lets the filter seal it self..kinda hard for me to explain it.. anywho, once that's done, then there's the matter of rejetting, and I've heard from some that it's a pain, but with FI it's easy with a PC remap. The K&N filter you see here, is the way it comes, no mods to it, mine looks the same way..

So..did you rejett your gixxer after the mod?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hammer- my suzuki was jetted, sounds like cutting the air box will increase air flow. Always remember, more air + more fuel=more ponies!:D

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PJ1 said:
Hammer- my suzuki was jetted, sounds like cutting the air box will increase air flow. Always remember, more air + more fuel=more ponies!:D
Exactly...maybe ya outta try it on that R6, so you can stay up with the Gixxer's:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts