Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ehehehheh....so I finally got my cycle today! 2002 Ninja 500R. And boy...you were all right. It is fun. Boy o boy is it fun :) I can't take it above 4000 rpm for the first 500 miles, but I took it up Empire Grade (as seen on pashnit.com!) with a newfound friend, and man...it looks like it's gonna be worth every penny I spent on it. So....to everyone even thinking about getting a bike. Do it. You won't regret it :)

And to those pessimists, yes, I did almost drop it. I was at a small intersection, and I guess I put one foot down before the other or something and the bike started leaning *very* slowly to the left, and I kind of managed to catch it so it didn't toally drop, and some guy helped me put it back up. Small scratch to the bottom of the exhaust, but you have to get under the bike to see it. So...heh...hopefully that'll be my "one drop" ;)

Happy to finally be a real member of Sportbikeworld.com!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Heh, Heh, welcome to the darkside:D
Now when your not riding it, it'll be all you can think about.
Don't be too strict about run in either, giving it the odd blast can help it seat better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

I saw a guy getting on a Ninja 500 earlier today, looked pretty good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Congrats on the ride. Yea, the feeling is incredible. I get antsy when I don't ride for a couple of days. But cool!!! About the drop. Don't trip, EVERYONE drops once in a while. It makes you a better rider!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!!

Isn't Empire Grade a blast?!?!? For the time being, though, beware of Jamison Creek (at the end of Empire Grade heading down to Boulder Creek). It's newly repaved with LOTS of gravel toward the bottom. Like riding on marbles I'm told.

You'd be surprised how strong you get when you see your bike lying on the ground.:eek:

Have fun and ride safe!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congratulations Banpei. As a new rider with a 96 Ninja 500, I share your exhuberance. Last weekend while on my way back from Jersey, I hit 1,000 miles after 2 1/2 months. I'm glad I started with a 500. Between 7,000 and 8,500 rpm it sings a nice song but not one that's scary. I did however drop it once on my steeply sloped driveway. Just a slight nick on the right fairing about the size of a pinhead and some scrapes on the turn signal stalk. Minor but still kind of upsetting after the weight of the bike got away from me. I 'm dreading the time when I put it down for the winter so I'm getting in as much riding time as I can. Question for the more experienced riders: is it better to stay in the center lane or the right when on the highway( like route 80)? Center lane riding forces you to deal with cars on both sides of you while the right lane has cars on your left but a lane with merging traffic every so often. Just wanted to hear the opinions out there. Enjoy the ride and be safe. PS: something else in common with you. I also have an Integra(98 GS-R). Love that too. Take care.

Brian.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! I just got my first bike about 3 months ago. 2002 CBR600F4i. Oh boy do i love it. So much so that I already have almost 5000 miles on it! I have been to the track. If there is one near you and you feel confident enough, do it, you will learn so much more there than you can on the street. For anyone in the PA, WVa, OH, Maryland area, hit up route 50 and surround roads in WVa. There are just some amazing stretches.

I don't know about that whole, "dropping it makes you a better rider" thing. Just the thought of dropping mine encourages me to be a better rider, that's all the motivation I need!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Liggy11 said:
Congrats on the new bike! I just got my first bike about 3 months ago. 2002 CBR600F4i. Oh boy do i love it. So much so that I already have almost 5000 miles on it! I have been to the track. If there is one near you and you feel confident enough, do it, you will learn so much more there than you can on the street. For anyone in the PA, WVa, OH, Maryland area, hit up route 50 and surround roads in WVa. There are just some amazing stretches.

I don't know about that whole, "dropping it makes you a better rider" thing. Just the thought of dropping mine encourages me to be a better rider, that's all the motivation I need!
I'm not a new rider, but i'm new to the F4i. Its a fantastic bike. I don't have that many miles yet, but i know i'm gonna really like owning this bike.

Hey,,just curious,,how much tire you got left at 5K miles?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have no idea how much tire I have left! Still looks ok I guess. It is a little squared off from all the crap traffic you get behind that makes for slow, boring riding, but I rounded it off again on my Sunday ride. I am guessing there is about half it's life, maybe less left??? I don't really know how to judge it.

In the meantime, I need a GP undertail, clip ons, rearsets to put the footpegs higher, a full exhaust system, flush mounts..... :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tuffguy said:

I'm not a new rider, but i'm new to the F4i. Its a fantastic bike. I don't have that many miles yet, but i know i'm gonna really like owning this bike.

Hey,,just curious,,how much tire you got left at 5K miles?
The tires last as long as you don't do burn out. My tires went after 3000 miles. My friend with an F4 got his to last close to 8K. It is all a matter of how you treat you tires. My brother and his friend likes to do smokey burnout, therefore I pay the price of getting a new tire.
Now that I have a new tire, I plan to keep this for at least 7K miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts