Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody use or have used an AGV helment?

I'm looking at getting a new lid (AGV X-Vent) but would have to order it online as my dealer doesn't carry AGV.

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
Giovanni,

I would never buy a helmet without being able to try one on for size first.

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course not, but since I can only mail order this thing I'll have to take my chances. If I have to send it back, I have to send it back.

That is why I'm looking for some feeback before I venture into the unknown.

------------------

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I looked at the AGVs because they were cheap and had cool graphics, but the ones I tried on had more pressure points than any helmet I've tried. The Bells were pretty bad too. My faves are Arai,Shoei, and HJC.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've had an AGV for about 6 years and I love it. best helmet I ever owned. I would definately consider buying another.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had an AGV Q3 for about three years and have been very satisfied. I will probably replace it with another AGV. It comfortable (on my head, at least) and quiet. I think AGV compares well with Shoei and Arai and usually costs a few dollars less.

------------------

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Q-3R professional, got it from the AGV website. $339 delivered, with gloves and tear-offs! I'm very happy with it. Fits very snug (at first), but you don't even notice it when you ride. The cheek pads are snug against your face and it's hard to get off, but unlike other helmets, it does not smash against your face when you're at speed. It took a little getting used to at first (this is the first helmet that I've owned that actually fits correctly), but now I'm hooked. The quality is excellent, and they have some cool graphics (I have the venom helmet). I don't think you'll be disappointed! Here's a link: http://www.agv.com

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i crash tested my agv r1 helmet and it worked well. i now have an agv q3r replica helmet. i paid 299+ shipping for it, and 59 for my blue reflective shield. you can try www.1888fastlap.com, they seem cool about taking stuff back that not the right size (but that was on gloves).

agv also doesn't just use the s,m,l,xl,xxl sizes. i have a small medium for example. i like this sizing technique, you can get a precise fit this way.

if you haven't worn an agv helmet, i'd would talk to people about the shape of your head vs. helmet manufacturers. i'd try on all kinds of helmets from any manufacturer you can, find the best fit and see if agv is a similairly shaped helmet. the agv helmet may not fit you well at all, ask tristan.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the bargin AGV helmet is the R3 - I wear one. The orginally sold for $200-$255 but the line has been closed out and now they are selling for $125-$150. Good quality though and a great bargin I think. When shoppping for a helmet try different sizes and brands (friends, dealers) on because they all fit different. Once you pick a brand and size its generally cheaper to mail order. Hope this helps.

------------------
Dave

600 Bandit

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
my first agv helmet was an r1 (which was replaced by the r3 a year later). the problem is the shield got kind of crappy after a couple of years. agv didn't make replacement shields for the helmet when they discontinued it and the r3 shield didn't fit it. so i had a good helmet i hated wearing. i'd suggest buying a current model helmet for that reason.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
873 Posts
I ordered an AGV Q3Pro (L) and it should be arriving tommorrow via 2nd Day air. For $339.00 PLUS a FREE set of AGV Gloves and free ground shipping (i paid $11.00 extra for 2nd day air, though) It was a great value for a new helmet from the AGV US Distributor (www.agv.com) and my only concern will be the fit on my head. If it doesnt fit it will be a bit unfortunate :( but if it does i will be very happy i am sure. :D The problem isnt the size it is the "roundness" of a helmet.

My head size is 23.5" and this calls for a just plain Large, and as has been stated they have many sizing increments, i.e. ss, s, sl, ms, m, ml, ls, l, ll, xls, xl, xll, etc etc etc

The worksmanship is supposed to be *VERY* good on these italian helmets, but I will let you know what i find out!!

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited July 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Got my AGV Helmet today!

SWEET !!!!!

I got the deal with a free set of AGV Sport Gloves and some extra decals (for after i get the helmet custom painted) I got the helmet in plain white (cuz its gonne be green) :p

FIT: I first put the helmet on and oops, damn it will barely go over my head, :( , but once past my ears (no im not dumbo) the helmet fit VERY snug. Once it is sitting properly on head the pressure points are non existent. :) It may take some getting used to or some break in cuz the padding is VERY snug.

Compared to my HJC however it is a definate upgrade. The HJC was like wearing a pillow on my head, too big-ish and loose fitting padding. (Not to mention an abundance of exposed open cell foam padding on the HJC. The AGV is made with much higher quality Dupont honeycomb fabric material.. VERY plush.

We'll see how it turns out on the "quietness" scales!

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
873 Posts
After letting the new paint catalyze for a week on my AGV I rode with it for the first time yesterday.

MUCH quieter then the old HJC. No comparison at all. I cant say it is the quietest helmet out there (the ventilation system, while VERY effective, adds some faint whistling and wind noise, although it is still 100% quieter than the HJC) the helmet is the absolute BEST fitting helmet i have ever had or put on. I rode across phoenix (40+ miles each way) in 107 degree heat at freeway speeds and at local speeds and overall i am VERY happy. The fit is so good that there is no more eardrum trauma (noticable) like the HJC (although i still may buy earplugs for any extended road trips)

Once again, this is a great helmet (Q3Pro), is relatively quiet, and fits beyond belief with a great ventilation system.

Pictures of the helmet with my new paint job will follow somewhere in the forums.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I really like the way the Venom looks but I want to see what the back of it looks like. I was kinda hoping the back was almost entirely gold like the dragon so that it would be easily seen for safety reasons. Can anyone comment on what the back of the helmet looks like? Any pics?

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ill look through my AGV Catalogs... also you may want to go to the website and order a free catalog for yourself.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My two cents says to go try on as many brands as possible. Luckily we have a dealer here that carries a very large selection and it provided me the opportunity to try on many helmets. I can honestly say that the Arai helmets are noticeably more comfortable than any other brand. I forked over the dough for a new Quantum/F replica and it is the cadillac of helmets. After trying it on I couldn't wear a Shoei, AGV or HJC.

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts