Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what age can you start riding a sports bike? im VERY intrested in riding as my father did, aswell as many others in my family. i already know a good starter bike (ninja 250) and i personaly cant wait to get started on riding even if it means waiting a little while :)

Edit: i have read the stickys and tryed to find out myself b4 asking.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Legally? 16 in most states i believe. But unless you have experience on dirt bikes or some other form of 2 wheel vehicle, I'd recommend giving it a little more time.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Personally, I don't think anyone should get near a road bike before they've had 12 month's experience on the roads in a cage. You wanna learn "how roads and traffic work" before throwing "how do bikes work" into the mix. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Get theeself unto the dirt right away.

No age limit on dirtbike riding and you can learn a lot about the basic mechanics of riding a street motorcycle- shifting, brakes, balance, etc.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I have a somewhat different opinion. It would seem possible you could be riding very early on the track. If I'm not mistaken nearly all these really young riders start on dirt and then progress to track, but it would seem possible to simply start at the track with a smaller ride.

As for street, I agree with the others.

·
Registered
227 Posts
In Az you can start riding at 16. But I would say beware of the streets as well because there are tons of horrible drivers. I started riding at 18 and I have been riding the past three years and have learned a ton! Best of luck to you and stay safe!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Riding Age

i started riding on the road when I was 15. it was a yamaha enduro bike. but i have been riding since I was 3 years old. I got a bike before my first car. my first sporbike was at age 18. my daughter started at 3 also. she now has a rm65 suzuki and could run thru all 6 gears like a pro at the age of 7.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts