Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was discussing whether or not to put a full system or just a slip-on onto my 2006 yamaha R6 with a friend the other day. I was telling him that I didn't want to modify my bike too much (because i just got it) and that getting a full system would require a power commander and blah blah blah.

that's when he interupted me and got really upset that i was changing the pipe at all. he then lectured me about how the r6 was designed by engineers who put that stock exhaust on my bike because that's the exhaust that would help it "breathe the most correctly." he said "who are you to change that pipe. all you're gonna do is fuck up the technology and balance that went into designing that bike." He also informed me about the O2 sensors and what not on my Ca bike that would not be compatible with exhaust systems.

Overall, he made some valid (or maybe not so valid) points that scared me into believing that maybe changing my pipe isn't the way to go. I love the look and sound of an aftermarket pipe, but i don't wanna fuck my bike up.

will adding a pipe damage my bike in any way? what exactly do i need to add along with an aftermarket exhaust system to make it function correctly? what do you guys think? keep it stock? what about the O2 sensors?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
its good to see that someone is approaching the pipe subject from an intelligent stand point. Your friend is only partly correct. Yes, slapping a cheap pipe will ruin the performance of your engine. But at the same time, you dont see factory race bikes run stock exhaust. The stock pipe wasnt simply designed for the best performance, it was designed to meet emmision noise regulations. For this reason performance gets sacrificed some.
A quality full exhaust will almost certainly boost your performance. Bikes (most, with very few exceptions) dont have O2 sensors, they run on an open loop. for that reason it is necessary to use a power commander to adjust the fuel ratios.
With a quality slip on and proper programming you are looking at loosing a touch of low end in exhange for 3-4hp at the top. Just the PC itself is likely to even out the mid range, that if often retarded in stock form via ignition. Other benefits include sound and looks. Obviously a full exhaust is necessary for maximum gains.
When looking for a slip on, look for one that does not remove the exhaust butterfly valve. Almost all full systems remove the device, but that almost always costs you the low end. In addition look for a company that has racing expirience. Muzzy, yoshi, akrapovic, leo vance, arata, micron are good candidates. Avoid the places that concetrate on just looks (hotbodies) or just sound (DnD). And seriously consider a power commander (in fact I'm contemplating using a pcIII with a stock pipe to clean up the low end)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will getting a slip-on without a PC be ok? and by ok, i mean not damaging to the engine? i read searched about this topic last night and came across a good discussion, but unfortunately, everyone's feelings were mixed and there was no straight answer. i'm not really sure why i don't want to get a PC, but i think it has to do with the fact that it involves tuning fuel maps and a lot of intricate stuff that i don't want to mess up. i'm not looking to race the bike. i ride i mainly to work and around the local lake on the weekends.

this is the slip on i was looking at. i think it looks cool.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
slip on's for the 06 R6 are essentially a waste. i mean look at what you are actually buying....its a piece of tubing. tell ya what...do this...keep your stock exhaust and buy a PC3. Map your bike to run like a raped ape as a factory bike. or go with a full system (headers & all). you will have to get a PC3 to tune properly for the a/f balance. there are accomodations for the O2 sensor, yes the 06 R6 has one. Another benefit not yet realized to you is the weight loss you just achieved without even knowing it. As for the EXUP (butterfly valve) its there for nothing more than emissions. to add to Vash's comments, All slip ons for the 06 R6 retain the valve, and he is mistaken...you dont need it, you dont want it.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
yup, utter complete shit.

California has had some stiff emissions laws for bikes at least since early 90's and more and more laws are following suite to the rest of the states. A few 06 bikes already have Cat converters and expect 07 to have even stiffer emission laws.

You can buy emission ready aftermarket exhaust systems from a few vendors (I believe Yosh has them) Doing performance mods and not getting your bike tuned correctly using a fuel management system such as PCIII, could lead to damaging your valves.

And I agree, your friend is talking out of his ass.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
On the street I'd leave it stock. The noise is the main reason to do it and that just attracts all of the wrong kind of attention, making everything you do seem twenty MPH faster than it actually is. Announcing to the world what traffic laws you just broke or worse yet, leaving that impression when in fact, nothing was done that was wrong.

The performance gains are marginal at best and the potential to screw it up is very real. I'd leave it alone and spend that money on tires, gear, and riding it, preferrably including track time. Before to look for a couple of percent in HP, learn to use what you've already got.

Obviously, JMO.:)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
^true

But I like the sound of an aftermarket exhaust, specially one that has a low tone/rumble.

And I love it how people bitch and moan about how we sound going fast when in fact I'd be stuck in 1st gear at 5500rpm only going 25mph... :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dad said:
On the street I'd leave it stock. The noise is the main reason to do it and that just attracts all of the wrong kind of attention, making everything you do seem twenty MPH faster than it actually is. Announcing to the world what traffic laws you just broke or worse yet, leaving that impression when in fact, nothing was done that was wrong.

The performance gains are marginal at best and the potential to screw it up is very real. I'd leave it alone and spend that money on tires, gear, and riding it, preferrably including track time. Before to look for a couple of percent in HP, learn to use what you've already got.

Obviously, JMO.:)

Loud pipes save lives.....or it helps in some cases at least. unfortunate that it does attract negative attention by police. I personally havent had any issues with cops and my exhaust, however it has saved me from being hit by a car...and all i had to do was rev it a bit.

only a few bikes have full emissions on them, the R6 is what we are talkin about in particular. if you take off the Ti canister that is on there right now, that is literally the equivalent of the akrapovic slip on that is pictured in this thread, the main bulk of the exhaust is upstream of that, there is the header/collector, into the catlytic (sp?) then the EXUP valve, after that is nothing more than a slip on pipe that is whisper quiet at idle, and loud at WOT....there is no in between exhausts on this bike, its either leave it stock or go full. Either way I think you should get a PC3 and some dyno time....you will be happy with your results.

·
Registered
699 Posts
baliwas said:
will getting a slip-on without a PC be ok? and by ok, i mean not damaging to the engine? i read searched about this topic last night and came across a good discussion, but unfortunately, everyone's feelings were mixed and there was no straight answer. i'm not really sure why i don't want to get a PC, but i think it has to do with the fact that it involves tuning fuel maps and a lot of intricate stuff that i don't want to mess up. i'm not looking to race the bike. i ride i mainly to work and around the local lake on the weekends.

this is the slip on i was looking at. i think it looks cool.

what do you guys think?
That is really an exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
YZFr6-TX said:
That is really an exhaust pipe?
Essentially, its an exhaust tip. The muffler is under the engine

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have my own Dyno and have tested hundreds of bikes and installed truckloads of pipes. I can't add much to what Vash and Dad have said (great job) except to give a warning about power gains. You hear and read all sorts of outrageous claims of 5, 10, 15, or more horsepower by simply bolting on high dollar header system. Pure nonsense. You have to understand human nature here. When a shop sells and install a new pipe, they have a vested interest in documenting a gain in power. Manufacturers also like to hear impressive claims. Even the owners tend to exaggerate the numbers. When a tuner is trying to be honest, the test will still never be totally fair. Just one example: nearly all Dyno tests consist of three ‘before’ runs but have you ever looked to see how many 'after’ runs are made. I saw a Muzzy Dyno test the other day where the number of runs indicated 165. That’s 165 to 3. Not exactly fair. Here again the tuner often resorts to doing all sorts of things to squeeze a little more from the new stuff. They never, never make any real effort to get everything they can from the original parts. With this kind of unfair testing, it is safe to assume that if you started with the new header (3 runs) and than installed the OEM pipe and made dozens of runs tweaking everything in sight, this will also result in a power gain, every time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Aftermarket Exhaust

On my ZX10R I went with a full Two Brothers single exhaust and a power commander and had them installed at the dealer where I bought the bike. On my wifes 07 ZZR600 I went with a slip on (bolt on) RS-3 Yoshimara. My wife is only looking for a better sound. I went to the dealer I bought from and asked the service manager if I needed to rejet or shim the exsisting needles and he advised me NO. ONLY if the bike is backfiring (which it doesn't) on de acceleration would we need to make any changes.

The pipe looks better (I put the stainless steel version on) and sounds much better than the huge stock can that came with the bike.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm afraid he gave some rather poor advice. To be precise, you may or may not need some adjustment. He was correct in that your bike probably won't be way off the mark by adding a slip on, however, the bike may have already been on the lean or rich side and the pipe may have made things worse. There's a awful lot of 'may's' above and that's just the point. It's always a good idea to put your bike on a Dyno and have the fuel/air ratios checked. Everyone assumes that their bike is perfectly mapped or jetted prior to adding a pipe or whatever. I have seen bikes that needed some adjustment and the new pipe helped to correct the jetting. It can go either way.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
DaveL said:
I'm afraid he gave some rather poor advice. To be precise, you may or may not need some adjustment. He was correct in that your bike probably won't be way off the mark by adding a slip on, however, the bike may have already been on the lean or rich side and the pipe may have made things worse. There's a awful lot of 'may's' above and that's just the point. It's always a good idea to put your bike on a Dyno and have the fuel/air ratios checked. Everyone assumes that their bike is perfectly mapped or jetted prior to adding a pipe or whatever. I have seen bikes that needed some adjustment and the new pipe helped to correct the jetting. It can go either way.
What about fuel injected models? Are they any more consistent in your expirience?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Vash, we've actually found that certain injected models tend to have characteristics that are common among bikes of the same make and model. For example, all ZX-12's are dangerously lean at the bottom end while Hayabusa's are typically mapped right on the button. Consequently, most reasonably stock Busa’s don't even need a Power Commander, as there's nothing to fix.

Also, as a general rule nearly all injected bikes are too lean on the bottom and little on the rich side on top. The manufacturers know that guys like you and me are going to be installed aftermarket pipes and K&N filters all making the bike run a little leaner.

I really like the Flo-Commander for all carbureted bikes. It makes them run as if they were fuel injected and it also provides for minor fuel/air adjustments in the future. Check their website: www.flo-commander.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
So if you buy a yoshimura slip on and ride, it technically is slip-on then do a bunch of other crap first?

Would it hurt the bike at all to put on a muffler tip slip on and leave the rest of the exhaust alone?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Kio25.
Sorry, I just can't figure out your first question. The answer to your second question is maybe, but probably not. Simply installing a slip-on / bolt-on cannister will have very little effect on anything. A slip-on will tend to lean out every bike a little and for those bikes that are already on the lean side, (somewhere along the power curve) the change might be a step in the wrong direction. Only the Dyno can tell for sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry, I meant like on a car you can go out and buy a muffler tip and throw it on without having to do anything besides attaching it. With a bike can you buy a slip on cannister and that's all you need to do? I saw someone say they needed to buy a power commander?

If the answer is yes thats all you need to do with a slip on, won't that improve the sound of the exhaust?
Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts