Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering selling my YZF and want to go with a twin this time around. It will be for some commuting, twisties and some two-up riding. The Ducs and Mille are out d/t price. The RC is supposedly tough to commute on and that so-called pass. seat :eek: . The SV is too small physically. Whats left?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know if it is a twin.....but the Triumph 955i has got the same type of power range that you are talking about, and its comfortable. As far as price: it was pretty close to the RC.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The SH would be out as well d/t poor mileage. I ride about 100 mi. roundtrip to work so I would make it one time barely on a tank. The Falco is definately nice as is the TL. Dont care for the Trumpet. Thanks for the info so far...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tristan said:
I vote Falco. You can probably find one for less than an RC costs.
besides, ya hafta be a tennessee hick to ride one of them RC's... :D

unfortunately there aren't many twins out there available. :( kawi doesn't make one, and the only decent twin yamaha makes is the V-Max, which obviously ain't the greatest in the twisties. either way, hope yer two-up partner doesn't mind scrunching up in the back...the nice thing about two-upping on an SV is, much easier to wheelie :drool:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I like the Falco as well for the number 1 vote. But there is also the Aprilia Futura. Newer and a bit more unique but harder to find parts etc etc and the price may be a bit high.
I would say a 900SS since I loved mine. BUT, I wish it had more power (@15-25 more HP).
I am going to try to get a TL for next race season since I know I would also use it for street riding.
My .02.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tristan said:
Sorry dear, the Vmax is a V-4.
I know if I were in Tennessee right now I'd either be riding or drinking, not on the damn internet!
DOH! i knew better than that. thanks lil piggy for correcting me on the boo boo. :D we made sure we were back before dark so :twofinger on you. i can't see worth a crap at night, especially down here. we only did about 200 miles today. but that was enough. we're waiting to do the REALLY long days when don gets down here. :D

the duc 750 and 900SS are very beautiful bikes, and can find them fairly cheap used. but having to wait 6 months on parts sometimes is a little much...unless you've got more time than anything (and money. cha-ching!)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Aprilia Falco

funksouljon said:
I like the Falco as well for the number 1 vote. But there is also the Aprilia Futura. Newer and a bit more unique but harder to find parts etc etc and the price may be a bit high.
Rob,

I vote for the Falco as the #1 choice, too. But then I'm biased. :D

As for the Futura, it's nice but bigger than the Falco and much more of a touring bike, pricier too. The Falco is more of a sport bike and a more compact but it's still good for commuting and two-up riding. It comes with both a cowl for solo riding (which looks good) and a seat for two up. The Falco will be more comfortable and refined than a TL but the engine not as strong right out of the box. But once you derestrict, put in a chip and add some rowdier pipes, trust me - you'll like it.

:D :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Falco

I was able to get a good deal on a 2000.5 Falco that my local dealer still had sitting in the showroom after all this time. Nothing significant has changed up to the 02 model. The bike is absolutely fantastic. Coming off a Ducati, which I loved, It has almost as much character in the motor, but with the smooth power delivery, superior gearbox and extra ponies that I always wanted. I also love the stock riding position and the look of the bike. Check out www.apriliaridersite.com for knowledgable folks with good info.

As was mentioned before, when I was shopping around, I also test drove some of the Triumph Triples. Very cool bikes as well and definately worth considering. I like the Speed Triple and the Sprint RS, which can be had for a good price.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mille leftover?

I got an awesome deal on a 2000 Mille last year....after the deregulations (absolutely necessary) the only mod was a set of heli bars. The bike just plain rocks. I actually went to the dealer with the intention of picking up the Falco...but I just couldn't pass on the deal for the Mille. Aprilia's are becoming more popular, so they may be difficult to find, but a leftover is certainly worth looking into!!!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
My vote would have to be Falco also, based on your plans. TL being second. :)

TRIPLE, if you call the TLR the best looking twin available one more time then we will be forced to smack you around. :rolleyes:

:D :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
RCjohn said:
TRIPLE, if you call the TLR the best looking twin available one more time then we will be forced to smack you around. :rolleyes:

:D :p [/B]
:D :D :D

I'd have to rank the TL-R dead last in a beauty contest of the faired twins. To my eyes at least, it looks ponderous. Great engine hiding in there though.

·
Registered
860 Posts
why not try a buell. I know most every one here hates them but, for the daily wear and tear on a bike id rather work on my buell than anything else and i have still have yet to encounter any problems with mine and cutting thru the twisties is a blast( no pun intended) plus the price tag is pretty low, but if you want top end speed look elsewhere plus your not all hunched over the gas tank and riding double is no problem. Granted i love my buell and will never part with it, but im still looking for a genuine race bike. i dont think you can get more v-twin than a buell. I also realy like the falco, but as always it's your money and my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 28 Posts