Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm a first time buyer and I was hoping to get some advice before I make a purchase. I found a bike on Ebay that's going for about 1000 bucks. It's a 94 Yamaha FZR 600. Apparently it's in great shape. Just tuned up, new rubber, sparks, and battery. 14741 miles on it. It's all stock except for the paint job. It's all gloss black now and the pictures of it are just beautiful. According to the ad, the only thing wrong with it is the tach will not work over 6k. Do you guys think this bike would be a wise investment? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I don't know about the that year but I bought a 91 fzr 600. It is very hard to access the transmission for work, cause that is what i needed fixed. Also, again I don't know about that year, but I know around the 91s 1st and 2nd gear are week and have a tendency to break, and its pretty costly to get the work done to it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I know this is probably too late, but the reason for the shiny paint job and the tach not working is the same: it's been wrecked. You're taking a big chance buying something like that off eBay without seeing it in person.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I honestely don't know why anyone would buy a bike off ebay, unless it was actually close enough such that you could take a ride over to see it.

You generally have no recourse, and it's a real easy way to get screwed. Imagine taking someone to small claims court 1,000 miles away...

Aside from my personal opinion :twofinger , honestly, it strikes me as a little fishy. 11 year old bike with 14k on the clock, supposedly in great shape for a grand??? Hmmm... I would, "approach with caution"...

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I acatually just spend the good part of the last hr lookin on ebay.

What's tempting is the price. Brand new '05 R6 for $7400, '05 R6's and ZX6R with >400miles on the odometer for ~$5900.

These are all sellers with >99% positive transaction comments.

I'm very tempted...but very paranoid when it comes to my hard earned money. But the savings are hard to ignore.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Every time i go to the track, one of the honda dealers s always there, last time they had three R6's with zero miles, slight crate damage, i think they were about $5500-$6000, the damage was slight rash on tail, slight ras on head fiaring, and maybe scratch or to on tank.

When they get these bikes with crate damage, honda pays them for new fairing, tail, and tank, and labor to replace. Instaed of fixing, they sell at a reduced price. cheaper way to get a brand new bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts