Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid one, but what advantages is there to using synthetic oil as opposed to regular say Pro honda oil? I now have 5,000 miles on my bike and i am ready to do another oil change should I use synthetic? why? Any info greatly appreciated thanks!

------------------

G

·
Yes you can use a synthetic in your bike.
I would first start with a semi-synthetic, but if you already have, jump to a full synthetic.
(i am not a mechanic, do not sue me :))

In short oil is used to seal,lube,cool,clean ect.. Synthetics use man-made chems to become an "Ideal Lubricant" . They perform these task better. they have a broader operating range .. oh go here ... All you want to know about synthetics.... http://www.soslube.com/allyouwanttoknow.html

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
IMO - Synthetics fall under the law of diminshing
returns. By this I mean for the little gain
you get out of using synthetic (IE a couple
more thousand mile per change) you spend
way too much. I run regular everyday gastrol
20/50 weight in the R1, I change it every
2000 - 3000 miles and I have no problems.
Mind you I do beat the living hell out of this
bike too. I have run in the past all types
of synthetics from Honda Pro to Silkolene to
Golden Spectro.. Other than a very little shifting
difference (Smoother with Synthetics) I have
found no real gains. There was no more wear
with the regular petroleum based as opposed
to the synthetics.

FWIW

Chris

------------------
"The common thread here is insanity."

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1:
IMO - Synthetics fall under the law of diminshing returns. . . . . There was no more wear with the regular petroleum based as opposed to the synthetics.

chris_y2k_r1,
Everybody is entitled to an opinion :D but did you read Squidwannabe's post and look at the web-page he referred before you posted your comment? :confused: :) This stuff is really true, it's not just a advertizing gimick :) I can't tell you what to believe, but if you plan on keeping your bike or have respect for the next owner of it, you will benifit from the use of today's synthetic's. :) It's marvel's of the era, and BTW if you are not using a specific Motorcycle oil (even if it's not synthetic) your clutch will not last! :eek:

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
275 Posts
My .02 but semi-synthetics aren't worth the money. If your going synthetic go all the way. The whole oil issue has as many sides as there are manufacturers of synthetic oils. I believe there is enough data to support the use of synthetic. I suppose a lot of it is personal preference as well. I switched to a synthetic after breaking in my engine (this is very important) My personal preference Motul 300V a very good Ester based Synthetic, probably a little over kill but the little extra money is definitely worth it to me.

------------------
RLJ3RD
"Those whom the gods would destroy they first make proud"

·
Registered
292 Posts
Synthetics are far superior. Especially if you go to track days. When you run high RPM's for long periods of time, your oil can easily get to 300 degrees and above. This will FRY standard oil while the synths can take it. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic for motorcycles. It's much more expensive than mineral oil but it's not that big of a deal since you don't change your oil all that often.

Chris:
Send a sample of your just changed oil in for analysis. You might be surprised at the results. C'mon, you spent over 10K for the R1. Spend the extra occasional 10-20 measley dollars and treat your bike right! You can get arthritis from pinching pennies so damn hard. :D

------------------
"You must be fast 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you"

1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves
2000 NBM/Lt Oak int/Blk top C5 Convertible - MN6, Z51, Vortex Rammer, A&A Exhaust, C/R X-pipe, Corsa tips, !CAGS

[This message has been edited by mashuri (edited September 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
186 Posts
I heard from more than one R1 owner that Mobil 1 full synth 10w-30 is really good. I don't get it? I've tried it twice now and it does shift nice. I change my oil every 2000 miles anyway (it's fun). Any thoughts?

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

[This message has been edited by iowazx6r (edited September 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Run Full synthetic after your Petroluem breakin. Its not so important on something like a car or a Hog, but when youre pushin 10-12K rpms on a regular basis there is ALOT of stress on the lubricants. Petroleum based lubricants just do not hold up nearly as well under these conditions.

All the research and facts ARE out there.

Do you feel lucky?

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
IMO, Synthetics are worth every penny if you plan on keeping the bike and want to give it as much TLC as I do. But, I use semi-synth. either Motul or HP4. I use HP4 in my RR since it is specifically mentioned in the manual as ok to use.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens

1 - 9 of 9 Posts