Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive been thinking about getting a little more power to my 96 ZX-6r, was thinking about adding a turbo, but as hard as it was adding it to my ls1, i think i might try something easier.
I think an extra 30 horses would be good for now, since i can only pull a throttle wheelie in first, and thats yanking on it.

i looked at some of the bike kits from NX, and there a bit pricy about $1k. i think they were all wet kits too.
is there any other nitrous companies that make kits for bike.
i checked NOS and didnt see any, what about TNT, compcar, venom or any other brand do they make kits.

do they make dry kits, or do you have to use a wet cause of the carbs. Im running a little rich cause im jetted, would that help.

DO they come in small shot sizes, like a 30 shot. do they have 2 stages so i can spray more in high gears?

what are the prices of these kits?

just want a little boost so i can keep up with the 1100's at the track.

·
Registered
157 Posts
smokinHawk,

I can't answer your questions but I wanted in on this link. I too was considering nitrous but never got much response to my post a few months back. Maybe this time..

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a NOS kit on my 1984 FJ600 and what a hoot it is. I can perhaps give you a little insight.

The kit that I have is a generic 4-cylinder, 4-stroke, under 750cc kit. It is probably the one you would use. I don't believe any kits will come specific to any bike unless you own a Harley.

The kit that you would get would have 1 fuel pump, 2 solinoids, 4 fogger nozzles, some wiring, some hoses and some brackets. The kits are not that complicated and neither is the theory behind them. If you take the time to install the kit correctly, you should have no problems.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wet" and "dry" systems. If you mean do they inject fuel with the nitrous, then the answer is yes. The fogger nozzle has two lines going into them - one for fuel, one for nitrous. I don't think you would ever want to inject nitrous without additional fuel.

The amount of hp that you make is totally dependent on the size of the jets inside the fogger nozzles. The nitrous adds 40hp on my bike on a model 150 Dynojet Dyno.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions that you care to post here...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Turbofj6

Where to begin...

Did you install it yourself?

Was it a single kit you purchased or did you source the parts from multiple locations?

Who was the manufacturer?

Do you still have the installation instructions? Could you scan/fax, mail, or email them to me (I'd be happy to cover any costs)?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I bought the kit, I had the luxury of working in a motorcycle shop and had some help from some pretty knowledgeable coworkers. However, I did do 95% of the work myself.

I bought the kit complete from NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) for around $700CDN. That was a few years ago though.

I don't have the instructions and once you understand how everything is supposed to go together, you really don't need them except for the wiring diagrams. I could probably reproduce those for you.

To be honest, the kit that you can buy is a good starting point, but the brackets they supply, the electrical connectors etc. are of pretty low quality. I had brackets welded to my frame for the solinoids and fuel pump and machined some intake tubes to go between my cylinder head and carbs. The stock intakes were made of rubber and couldn't handle that much pressure. You may also want to investigate changing carbs as there is a good chance that you could cause damage to CV carbs. I am running Mikuni RS34 flatslides.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Turbo kits.

I think you might want to take another look at the bike turbo kits. Supposedly they are much easier to install than the car kits. The few I looked at were complete bolt on systems with snap in wiring, easy computer set up and everything.

But they also say that the turbo kits totally screw your bike up in the twisties because of turbo lag and the way the power hits the rear wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The only problem with the turbo kits is the expense and availability. I don't think there would be a bolt on kit for anything less than 1000cc and if you do find a kit, the minimum cost will be around $3000.

·
Registered
866 Posts
well not like this will help but the bike I learned to ride on was a 998 with both a turbo and nos. the turbo was not from a kit but a rebuilt turbo we originally got from a junkyard that we got for like $35, the tubing was easy the only problem was making it so it fit behind the fairing and making heat shielding for the plastic parts. it was along time ago so don't kill me if Ican't remember the particulars. I believe the turbo was an ihi we got off some jap car that was wrecked, it may have been off of the chevy sprint/geo metro turbo, I remember the engine was so small I could palm it. as for the nitrous, well it was a kit from nos, it was a pain to install. and the biggest problem with it was the bottle being so small it was only good for 4-5 short shots, so forget the second stage if it made it far enough through the first we were happy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the info. I need to find the nos kit on there web sight. The nx street kit was $800 though.

I dont want to go turbo on the bike, i like a high compression motor, just crack the throttle and go. need to keep it simple, as of right now my bike is my daily driver, rain or shine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know quite abit about forced induction on cars and I'm sure it's not much different for bikes, just a different application. For anyone that thinks it's about strapping on a turbo and going.....YOUR TOTALLY WRONG. There are many,many things that are involved with turbocharging a naturally aspirated engine and making it run safely and properly. IMOP it is not worth it on a bike. If you want more speed get more CC's:)

cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
very true cbrx7. I changed my TA over to the alteredatmosphere world, and it was not eaisy. But it was the cheapest way to get over 520 to the wheels.
now since i just want an eaisy extra 30 hp at times im thinkin about the squeze, dont need the power all the time so it fits.. but i do like the high reving 600cc so big power on a high reving bike appeals to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm actually in the middle of installing a turbo on my FJ600 and am interested to know what some of the pitfalls are that you have run into. Here is what I have so far.

I located the turbo unit as well as the fuel pump, the boost guage, intake plenum, various sensors, etc from a 1982 Seca Turbo. I chose this because the engine is very similar to the FJ600 and it happened to be available.

I modified the intake plenum so that the intake was fed over the engine instead of under it and modified it so that it would work with my carbs. I contacted Mikuni and they told me that the RS carbs will work with a turbo as long as the float bowls are vented to the plenum. No biggee.

I had the turbo mounted in front of the engine and had some headers made. I need to modify the stock Seca wastegate so that it works correctly. Again no biggee.

Fortunately for me, the Seca plenum has a popoff valve and reed valve already so that too much boost should not be a problem and so that it runs like a normally aspirated bike at low RPMs. The fuel pump runs at 3 PSI above the plenum boost so that shouldn't be a problem.

I will be running the oil lines for the turbo off of the main oil gallery which is high pressure.

Did I miss anything?

MMMMmmm.....Turbo Nitrous....

·
Registered
866 Posts
wheres the cooler? are you just blowing hot air into the engine, can you do that with more then just 3-4 pounds of boost?

on the duc that was the biggest problem, the cooler was so small it didn't do much, so we didn't run the boost very high.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The stock seca Turbo did not have an inter-cooler and was run at 7-8 psi from the factory. I was not planning on using an inter-cooler right away and wasn't planning to use more boost than stock.

·
Registered
866 Posts
ok, well good luck. was the seca engine set up any different from a normal seca?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The turbo seca and non-turbo seca shared many parts. I believe the crank was a little sturdier on the turbo and the compression ratio was lower to prevent detonation.

Other than that they are very, very similar engine wise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts