Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a question for all you kawasaki guys out there. I have some riding experience with dirt bikes when I was younger and I ride my some of my friends bikes often. I am also enrolled and will be taking the motorcycle saftey course in a couple of weeks. I want to buy a bike this summer and was wondering if I could get some advice on anything with the 98-00 model zx6r's. Any helpful info on prices, performane, and especially if this bike will fit me okay. I am about 6'4 and weigh around 210. The most comfortable bike I have ridden is a 98 F3, but I like the zx6r's way more. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hey, Dude, here's what you want.
MSRP - 8099USD
Top speed - close onto 170mph
Wet weight - 434lbs.
HP ~98
The Kaw is known for being real-world comfortable. You'll want to get the next heavier grade of fork oil before you really start pushing it. I have sat on one, and they fit me fairly well, at 6'2" and 210lbs.
In a recently published comparision, the Kaw established a best lap time less than one second off the pace of the first-place Yamaha, and better than a second ahead of the f4 Honda. It is also a repeat champion of the Supersport 600cc drags.
Hope this helps you in deciding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dudeman,

What can I say? I own one ('00 ZX-6R), and I love it!!! I've only had it now for about a month, but there are
several reasons I went it in the first place. It has (according to the mags) the smoothest, most powerful engines
of the current 600s, it has the best mix of performance/comfort, and hey! It won Cycle World's "Best Middleweight" for 2000! I don't think you can go wrong with the ZX-6R. I depends on what you want out of it.

Ron

·
Registered
103 Posts
6r is an awesome bike..pretty comfortable for a fast bike..plenty of power to keep you interested for a long time....Congrats on making the decision to take the Motorcycle Safety Course. They will teach you many useful tips for riding safely among the crazy car drivers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had mine about a month and love it, it's the best move I made buying it, and Kawasaki has deals on them right now, I saved 1100.00 on mine. Only one problem now, my husband just bought a new Hayabusa, I'm In trouble with a capital T.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thaks to everybody you read this and gave me some advice. It was much appreciated. I now can not wait till I can get my bike. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dude, I cant stay off of my 99 6R. Its a blast to ride, its fast as hell, its comfortable for longer rides, & I think its the best looking 600 out there. The new 2 headlight design is just plain mean looking. I was thinking of trying to get the new design for my bike but its $$$$ expensive. Oh well. You cant go wrong w/ the 6R.
Later,
Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Look for a late 98 model.

Stunning bike with good all round performance.

One point to look out for is paint jobs on older 96-97 models. I have read reports by owners claiming poor paint work at the front of the bike. However I have no problem with my GR 98 6R.

Oh, don't forget to check insurance prices!

·
Registered
134 Posts
dudeman7 said:
I am about 6'4 and weigh around 210.
Damn, you tall mofo.

The weight won't be a problem, the engine is just video nasty - it's the gift that keeps on giving, and (unlike the Suzuki 6, for instance) will give down low as well as giving you a slap up top.

About the only thing I'd be concerned about is the height. The bike's a real comfortable ride, and I fit fine - but I'm just a little under 6' (we use the metric system here, so I can't be more precise right now). :) My suspicion is that you'll be fine, but have a sit on one first. The fairing works fairly well (hey, it's a Kawasaki, they make planes so it best work).

Unfortunately you'll probably find us a bit of a biased bunch here :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
harmony said:

Unfortunately you'll probably find us a bit of a biased bunch here :D
When you're right, you're right, and hey, there's nothing wrong with telling the truth though.....right harmony???
:):D:):D:):D

Ron

·
Registered
134 Posts
MADKAW said:
...hey, there's nothing wrong with telling the truth though.....right harmony???
:) Indeed :)

I can't believe how much I like my Ninja. It handles, it stops, and it goes, and keeps going, and going, and goes some more.

The pillion likes it, it's comfortable to ride, it's got a schweet engine note, and it takes some _hard_ abusing and loves it.

<beat me hard>
It doesn't blow headlamps like Suzukis, it's got better aerodynamics than the latest Rx from Yamaha. It's a bit spicier than anything Honda have made recently :D
</beat me hard>

Why would you want anything else?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im surprised no Honda boys jumped in here to ruin the Kawi Party.. :)

For ur questions.. these guys got it all covered. I LOVE my 00' 6R, wouldnt trade it for a F4(i), and I like it as much as a R6. I'll be honest here.. I do like the R6. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tall guys on ZX-6Rs

I am 6-5 and 240 (ex-college athlete, lol), and ride a 2000 ZX-6R. It is a great bike for big guys, wheelies and stoppies with ease and does everything else, up to and including antics that will destroy your chance to ever hope to keep your liscense. Buy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ZX-6R--buy it

It's a great all-around ride, fast when you want it to be and not so hard to tweak for the little things.

There's also a ton of aftermarket stuff to customize. Good luck. I've had my 2000 6R since January and I still dream about it when I'm not on it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts