Sportbike World banner

About to buy a bike, but need answers!

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Dlonam 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm new. I've been reading about bikes and shopping around for a while. I've ridden a few times before, but I'm definately a beginner.

I found a '91 CBR600 in town here, and it has 18,400 miles on the clock. The guy is asking $2,500. A buddy that knows bikes went with me to check it out. The only think that looks like a problem is:
When the handlebars are facing straight ahead, the front wheel is about 3 degrees to the right. I found this problem discussed on this site, but never really found anyone that said they fixed it. Anyone know for sure? New forks are about $100 on ebay. Overall, it's in really good shape for a 14 year old bike.

How much should I offer for this bike, and what's the most anyone thinks I should pay?

#2 ·
If it's noticeable that the front wheel and handlebars are not perfectly aligned, you've got to assume that bike has been down, and been down hard.

If'n I were in your shoes I would completely forget this bike.

If you were to buy it, the most I'd pay is what it's worth parted out.

IMO, steer clear of this thing. Based on your description, it sounds like someone is trying to unload a wrecked out POS on an unsuspecting new rider.:2cents:

#3 ·
This bike sounds like its going to require a good deal of work, trying to fix hidden damage.
The biggest danger is that you might not see some of this damage, untill its too late.

I'd be cautious

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick replies, I really wasn't expecting to be told to stay away from it. Ill tell you a little more about it: The bike has been repainted, but my buddy took off a few of the farings and no repair work had been done on them. The only sign of anything being fixed is on the inside of where the turn signal is on the left. You can only tell that by looking at the unpainted side, which leads me to believe that it was done before the new paint. I didn't look close enough to see if there were any signs of the original paint, but it definately was not just painted over the stickers. Also, it has a few scratches on the crank case. It's starting to sound like the guy that's selling it is either full of s*** or the guy he got it from it.

So could anything else cause the wheel/handlebar misalignment besides a crash?

#5 ·
Coupon said:

A very big vice. Seriously, no not really. I personally wouldnt mind cosmetic crash damage (scratches and such) but bent forks scare me. There is always a chance that the steering head (part of the frame) is bent too, or it could be stress cracked. Scary.

#7 ·
you'll have to take plastics off, but look at where the two spars are welded to the head. If there are any signs of rust/cracks, run away. If there arents, it doesnt mean that they are not there. A frame needs to be x-rayed to be sure.
My general rule is cosmetic damage is ok, but if the crash was severe enough to bend the forks you dont want that bike. We are most likely talking about 60mph into a telephone pole sort of crash here.

#9 ·
Coupon said:
Yes...... but these guys aren't totally wrong in their thoughts and assesments. Be VERY careful.

The front end can be "tweaked", meaning sprung in a direction that can be pretty mis-aligned, but will settle back in after loosening the clamp bolts on both triple clamps that hold the fork tubes. The front end will be at least bound and be sticky operating if it's that badly sprung. It can also be the result of a very sloppy assembly job during a front end installation, tightening things before everything is assembled, including the front axle. Somebody who has REAL experience should look at this and an attempt should be made to settle the front end and attempt to fix that problem. The owner should not object as it will only make the bike more saleable and safer for whoever buys it.

Probably not the problem, but how did you determine the twist? It wouldn't have been as simple as a bent or misaligned handlebar, would it?

#10 ·
Handlebars out of line with front wheel tells you something is wrong & most tend to not paint their bikes for that also leads many into feeling the bike has been damaged as that is one of the tricks of covering up more serious damage.

One of the largest problems on modern sportbikes is the all alloy frame & so often it is damaged of where the steering head is out a bit.

If insurance people even see a scuff mark is on any part of the alloy frame then that bike is TOTALLED.

#11 ·
Dad, a buddy of mine went with me to check the bike out. I trust his judgment so thats why I brought him. He rode the bike and found out that when the handlebars are straight, the wheel aims right a little bit. When you look at the bike from the front, you can see that the front fender doesn't line up exactly with the wheel, either.

The bike is going to be in a shop this week to have the rear break line bled. (not sure why he doesn't just do it himself), so I'm going to stop by and see what they guys there think about it.

Back to my original question, (assuming I just need to loosen a few bolts to align the wheel) what's the most that should be paid for this bike?

#12 ·
If the wheel doesnt line up with the fender than the misaligment is either in the forks or the clamps.
The blue book on the bike is $1800, not counting the fork damage.

#13 ·
Vash said:
If the wheel doesnt line up with the fender than the misaligment is either in the forks or the clamps.
The blue book on the bike is $1800, not counting the fork damage.
So in the worst case senario, how much would it cost to replace/fix the clamps? Is it just a matter of unscrewing them, hitting the tire against a tree until it lines up, and tightening it again? I know forks go for about $100 on ebay. From what i've told you, does it sound like there is any frame damage? Thanks for your help.

Where did you find that its worth 1800? Is that trade in? KBB.com says $2640.

#14 ·
Coupon said:
So in the worst case senario, how much would it cost to replace/fix the clamps? Is it just a matter of unscrewing them, hitting the tire against a tree until it lines up, and tightening it again?...
Man, it's your safety we're talking about here. Imagine what would happen if the whole front end of the bike fell apart while you were moving down the road, even just at 40 mph.

I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything, but man, this is serious stuff. This bike has bent forks or a bent tree, or both. THAT much is fact.
The frame may be bent / cracked as well. (probably is)

You've got to take this seriously, if you do get this totalled out bike, fix it right.

The thing is, maybe you're trying to save money by getting this thing. It's not worth it.
By the time you fix it properly, you'll have more money in it than what it's worth, and if you DON'T fix it properly, you'll be in ICU in no time.
ICU is roughly 2500 bucks a day.

Spend more now, save more (both monetarily and physically) in the end.:2cents:

#15 ·
Im really not trying to justify buying this thing, im just trying to know how severe the damage is. Ill talk to the guys at the shop in a few days. Im just saying that If i can get a deal on it and just fix the forks myself, it would be worth it. If there is more of a problem than that, there are lots of other bikes out there. Let someone else go to the ICU (but hopefully not).

#16 ·
sidewaysducati said:
Man, it's your safety we're talking about here. Imagine what would happen if the whole front end of the bike fell apart while you were moving down the road, even just at 40 mph.

I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything, but man, this is serious stuff. This bike has bent forks or a bent tree, or both. THAT much is fact.
The frame may be bent / cracked as well. (probably is)

You've got to take this seriously, if you do get this totalled out bike, fix it right.

The thing is, maybe you're trying to save money by getting this thing. It's not worth it.
By the time you fix it properly, you'll have more money in it than what it's worth, and if you DON'T fix it properly, you'll be in ICU in no time.
ICU is roughly 2500 bucks a day.

Spend more now, save more (both monetarily and physically) in the end.:2cents:
+1. Frame damage is serious stuff. I'll overlook plastic scratches all day long, but if anything is out of aligment I run.
Do you really want to end up like this guy?

Attachments

#17 ·
You've really asked a question that's impossible to answer accurately over the net. From my response about being tweeked, to the more extreme responses of losing the front end, is the range of possibilities. Without seeing it I can't tell you what it is. That is why I suggested having someone who REALLY knows what they're doing to have a look at it. Further, to FIX it, on the spot, because if it's what I suggested, the fix is just loosening and tightening a few bolts. If that can't be done, walk.:)

#19 ·
Coupon said:
When the handlebars are facing straight ahead, the front wheel is about 3 degrees to the right.
Dude,
You ain't gonna believe this but I had a buddy crash one day while we were out and he took his bike to the shop and they told him that if they fixed it the way it was supposed to be fixed it would cost a hundred dollars or so but if he wanted a free fix bring his bike around back and they would have it fixed in two minutes......

You guessed it , the bike shop fixed it the way we did our bicycles we we were kids.... just banged the front wheel up against the building using the handle bars... 1 year later still fixed and no problems

Dlonam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.