Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am brand new to sportsbikes and I am contemplating buying an '03 954. I live in Buffalo NY any suggestions on a good dealer to buy from, price to pay, good riding education either practical or books, equipment to purchase and any thing else that might be useful.
I don't ask a lot do I? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rookie.

·
Registered
150 Posts
OK, I'll bite and assume you are serious.

How old are you? When you say you are brand new to "sportbikes", does that mean you have ridden cruisers or dirt bikes? Or have no motorcycle experience whatsoever?

If you have never ridden a mc before,
DON'T BUY A 900!!!
NOT EVEN A 600!!!

Good starter bikes:
Suzuki 650SV
Ninja 500
Ninja 250

There are plenty of threads in here that explain why so I am not going to.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, what he said! You'll be scared shitless and that would be with only using about 2% of the bike. Start ALOT smaller. You'll be much happier down the road. Literally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am serious, I am 30 years old and have experience on a 125 street bike in england about 9 years ago. I realize that jumping right into the 954 is ill-advised but to be honest i am likely to do it anyway so if there is any advice you could share in regards to driver education courses or books or equipment or anything else that may help it would be greatly appreciated.
Rookie

·
Registered
150 Posts
-MSF Course
-Keith Code Books
-Check Honda's website for a price. Knock a few hundred $ off because it is Winter. In the Spring add a few hundred $ because the 954 is a relatively new bike and I am sure Honda is proud of them.
Check the "gear" forum for more detail on gloves, boots, etc.

Please spend ALOT of money on gear. Something tells me you are going to NEED it. :twofinger

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Rookie, we all are only trying to help. The 954 is a stupendous machine and is only about 1/2 step from a full race bike. If some one has not ridden any big modern sportbike you can have no clue whatsoever how powerful and BLINDINGLY fast/quick they are. Riding a 125 years ago or even yesterday means nothing in this context. Take the classes and then see about a more user friendly bike to start on assuming you are planning to ride motorcycles for years and aren't just making this the new toy/hobby of the month. These things are so fast that in 4 or 5 seconds you can be way over your head and climbing. We don't like reading about crashes and deaths.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One more thing. If you find a salesman that will sell you a 954 without a long talk, let the forum know. Might be fun to find out what shit-for-brains is out there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Larry Kahn said:
One more thing. If you find a salesman that will sell you a 954 without a long talk, let the forum know. Might be fun to find out what shit-for-brains is out there.

I only have three suggestions....

1. 03' R6
2. 03' 600RR
3. 03' ZX 6R

;)

You'll thank everyone that replied to this post as soon as you jump on a new bike and realize what it is like when you loose it for the first time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Execelent choice, sweet bike.

However, You want a New 03' bike In the beginning of the year.

You will at the very least pay sticker plus tax, title, maybe set up fee.

Get what you want!

·
Registered
231 Posts
954 = Potential pain

Don't buy what you want. Buy what the majority of people on this post tell you to buy. They know. You don't.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Make sure your LIFE INSURANCE is paid up....in fact, get more! If you are in deed serious....God help you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok so you have at least given me pause to think.
However it seems that I will therefore be buying a (different)bike because i know there is a good chance a will lay it down. Nobody ever buys a car with that in mind do they? You dont not buy a sportscar because you might crash it. INcidently both my local dealers were going to sell me 02 954's and no mention of a talk or even a hint that it might not be the bike for me.
Thanks for you continued input.
Rookie

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not to keep on busting your chops dude but there is a huge difference in a "sportscar" and a 400 lb sportsbike.... a HUGE difference....

Just start small man, I think that's what everyone is suggesting..... You'll be just as happy with a new 600 or even a 750....

Then when you get some time in the mountains, or even in the city riding and feel comfortable making the jump to a big bike, you'll see exactly what everyone is talking about....

I ride with a lot of racers from N.C. and Tenn... I don't race myself but when I get in the twisties with them they'd be the first to tell me ....... "ride at your own pace bro, don't get caught up in everyone else around you" ....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Listen...we would rather not read about you in the paper as another fatality. You can't compare bikes to cars....bikes are WAY more dangerous...period. I wouldn't recommend that a 17 yr old buy a Ferrari either, but that's another discussion. The fact is that, with limited riding experience, a 954 will get you into trouble much faster than you can get out of. Be patient and learn to ride WELL on a smaller displacement bike (600 cc MAXIMIM in my opinion), then you can always step up. I know quite a few good riders that can outride liter bike guys, on their 600's!! Some even choose that their 600's are all they want or need. Don't write them off....they're pretty damn potent these days!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was going to get an r6, but even that I've been told is too much, so I'm going with the sv650s, listen to these guys, they've ridden a while.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am glad too see you are starting to listen. :thumb:

Consider this to help put in in perspective. I assume you know what a Dodge Viper is. Just in case you don't know, it is one of the fastest production cars made.

A Doge Viper:
0-60 4 secs
1/4 mile 12.5 secs

The "newer" 600's:
0-60 3 secs
1/4 mile in about 11 secs.

Still think you need more than a 600 to start with?

IMO, a 600 is still too fast to start on. You shouldn't even be considering something bigger.

Like some others here have said, it is not our intention to make you feel stupid. But we always get posers in here that ask questions that sound like your orginal post. They want the biggest baddest bike they saw in some movie and they end up hurting themselves. That is why people in here may have been a little harsh with you. We just don't like reading R.I.P posts.

Take the MSF Course, surf these boards looking for info and feel free to ask questions. Good Luck, and let us know what you decide. :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Vroom Vroom SPLAT! I've seen it many times. (I have a mechanic buddy that works for the local dealer). Someone with too much money and not enough brains buys a limited addition super fast sportbike, then raps it around something a couple of days later.
Usually trades the bike in on a smaller one or quits riding altogether.

Don't be stupid! Get something you can handle or your're going to kill yourself!

Try a 500-650. You'll probably have a better time on a smaller bike anyway.

Do a MSF course, and get some good riding gear.

Just my two cents!

Meantime try to keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
As HalfChuck put is "-- listen to these guys, they've ridden a while-- & the interesting this is we are still alive
with most of us not starting off with rocket power m/cs.
Just a small tip ------ you have to balance these darn two wheeled things from start to finish, what the road is like on the surface means a great deal in the battle to keep the bike upright.
You have a fender bender with a carge drive & your cage then it is a cost factor & who will pay--------- you have the same with a cage driver (we know 50% are blind to m/cists on the same road) & even though he/she is in the wrong, your bike is down with around a grand in damage to being totalled & you are probably on the way to the hospital with extensive injuries, you might ride again, but in some cases many never do. True you could have survived with not to much in injuries & you safety riding gear, by chance, did the right job.
By the way after a 954 what have you got to look up for in your next bike? Not much after that is there bar possibly a few HP more, but then who in the 'ell can even cruise a 954 at revs it likes WITHOUT obtaining speeding tickets. True I only have a 929 & a 600, but then I have been at this game of TRYING TO SURVICE for 50+ yrs.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts