Sportbike World banner

Aaron Yates Incident @ The Daytona 200

7K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  Tippmann 
#1 ·
.....just wondering what others are thinking....................

1. The other team would be justified in pressing assault charges.
2.Let the AMA handle the situation.
3.Ignore the whole mess.
4. Or????

What are your thoughts?????

JIM

#5 ·
Yates, about two laps from the finish, clipped a privateer backmarker. After the wreck, Yates drop-kicked him, then started to walk away, returned, and shoulder-butted him. The guy told Yates he was a jerkoff with a pretty graphic motion on TV...

Yates caused the wreck, the backmarker was running wider on the corner to let people pass on the inside.

cdma2k

#6 ·
I do not see the races as I will not pay for Speed as they have screwed it up so badly. Reading a detailed report when I come across "Yates collides with a lapped rider, Anthony Fania, and both crash entering the west horseshoe. Yates goes over to Fania, who is standing up, drop-kicks him and then head-butts him.".

Well I will be danged for he has pulled another one of his stints for most of us remember him laying down on a circuit to stop the race last yr & some other incidents.

We might not like Mladin's words or outlooks, but really Yates needs to see a shrink or politely step out of racing for there is something wrong with him when it comes to the mind area-----possibly he has had to many conussions.

#7 ·
I sat on my ass today infront of the TV and watched Speed all day long.

Yates acted like a classless dick. It was his fault. He drop kicked the guy then gave him a head butt. AMA racing is not NASCAR or the WWE. WHat;s with these Suzuke guys?? They should start doing some pre-hire testing to screen out the A holes.

In my opinon the AMA is on the spot. They need to put an end to this now. He should be severely reprimanded. A lot of people watched the race live and saw what we did. Not cool at all and less than professional.

#8 ·
needless to say, this subject is all over the net...Anyway, I was a big fan of Aaron's, until today...As for who's fault it was, there is video, from a couple angles....Sorry, I have no links to them..

As for Yate's punishment...I'm bettin he gets, points deducted, and at least a 1 or 2 race susupension...

As for the privateer, I wonder if he will really go through with pressing charges against Aaron..

And what about the fighting it self..? Ever watch circle track racing..? man, them car drivers get into some real Fights..I'm not excusing what Aaron did, but some people are making such a Major deal out of it..but not here....:D

#10 ·
WWE/AMA

The AMA definately should suspend Yates for at least one race and a fine would not be out of line either.
I wonder how his sponsors feel having him represent their products?? Would this be enough for some of them to pull their sponsorship of Yates??
Sheesh, the guy certainly needs anger management classes!!! ;).

JIM

#11 ·
No one & I man NO ONE should go after a fellow downed rider. After all the dust had not settled when Yates pulled his nit-wit stunt & not the first time in his racing life.

I to have got up after a m/c comp accident & that is NOT when one should charge into a fellow competitor & take them down for often one is still dazed, possibly with some fractured bone, toren tendion, muscle, or ligament.

Most downed riders will get up or try to get up even while injured, it is the human nature or us.

This is ALSO why they have some strong men at some of the flag corners to haul off an injured rider & to often calm them down, like sit down & wait for the ambulance for their arm is broken & they do no know it---or to stop one from trying to get in a fight with the other downed rider.

Lord the number of dramatic pile-ups at the first few corners in MX & road racing is a prize example for often some of the downed riders are injured.

#13 ·
Yates took out 6 other riders at the 98 Laguna Seca race when he ran into Aaron Slight during a restart. They had to stop the race to bring in a helicopter to take out the injured.
Last year he took out Eric Bostrom at the SBK Laguna Seca race. Injuring Bostrom and ending his very good AMA championship chances.
At VIR last year, after crashing he ran back and layed down in the middle of the lane, stopping the race in which he was allowed to restart in after. These are just a few examples.

This year he takes a guy out and attacks him before he is even able to stand up. Your absolutly right about not knowing if he was already hurt.

Yates should be banned from all racing for a year.

#15 ·
Yates incident

Yates should be banned from all AMA races for life. This guy is obviously a danger to himself and other riders. His conduct is also very unprofessional. Any idea what the AMA will do with him?

#16 ·
Yates was being a dick and he deserves to be held accountable for what he did.

first off, as an experienced rider, he should have known better than to have tried to pass on the outside in a corner. secondly, as an experienced rider, he should have known the risks of passing on the outside and when he got whiped out, he should have just chalked it up as a stupid mistake instead of attacking the Fania. Thirdly, as an experienced rider he should have known that if you pass on the outside, stay in your lline or go FURTHER outside to prevent what happened. NEITHER RIDER stayed in their lines and thats one main reason that the accident happened. and it WAS an ACCIDENT!

when i saw the crash i noticed that Yates immediately went after Fania and kicked him. not that any of our opinions really matter but i am not sure what i think should happen. he really had no regard for whether or not Fania was o.k. though racers can get pissed when opportunities go awry, i definately feel that he had blatent disregard for Fania and his welfare and should be held accountable by fines AND suspension.

comparisons can not be made between NASCAR and the AMA becuase there is more talent necessary to ride a bike at 180MPH than there is a car. there's two less wheels and its more dangerous. in no way should it be "let go".

with all that said, i will say (with all due respect to the family), i said the same thing i used to say about Dale Earnhart and now say about Jeff Gordon..."it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy".

#17 ·
Not only did the get drop kicked and a headbutt, but he also got an interesting ride between yates' back tire and fender. That must have caused some serious heat in the leathers. I don't think you could act anyless professional, jumping up and down like an idiot, then doing what he did. Even though I like Yates, I think he is due for a suspension.:2cents:

#18 ·
I was shocked to see an adult, "professional," motorcycle racer acting like a small child after this wreck. Not only did Yates cause Fania to crash, he then attacks the downed rider without any knowledge of his condition. At least it was funny when Fania pointed to his crotch and then gave Yates the jacking-off motion. :D

Since I'm new to the motorcycling community and watching motorcycle racing, I didn't know that Yates has a history of taking out other riders. Hopefully the AMA punishes him appropriately.

#19 ·
Yates actions were no class mindless aggression,and very dangerous had the other rider had more serious injurys.Until now I was a Yates fan,no longer,the man needs mental help,no excuses,no bs.

#20 · (Edited)
Yates is an assmonkey (no offense monkey). This is a little surreal, as I went to college and worked with his wife Heather.

What Yates did was not only uncalled for and unprofessional, but he could have potentially ended that guys life if the guy had been severly injured or had a concussion. I just don't understand this shitty behavior. Here is a guy at the pinnacle of his sport, acting like a 5 year-old in KMart having a tantrum. Jumping up and down? C'mon, man.....take your Midol and go to the pits.

The personal side of me wants Yates to get a visit from someone and show him what a real thrashing feels like, as he clearly picked on a much smaller rider. That's a bully and I do not like bullies. :finger:

He was in the wrong for running outside, as the other rider was clearly allowing the faster riders berth on the inside. This wasn't good enough for Aaron and he had to try something stupid.

Realistically he needs to get fined, get a 3-race suspension, and attend anger management courses.

I can't help but get fired up about this because the rider that Yates attacked could have been seriously injured and Yates let his factory ride, advertisements, endorsements, and Fan Days go to his head. Aaron, I think you are a tool and if you had tried that on me, you would be eating out of a straw for the next 8 weeks. :cool: Get some help, Yates, you need it.

#22 ·
I think Suzuki fined him $25,000, not the AMA. If that's so, then that's $50,000 out of pocket for a 5-second tantrum and his best WCW impersonation. What a maroon.

In all honesty: what an embarassment. :rolleyes:

#23 ·
Following is how it looked like on the other board:

BREA, Calif. (March 8, 2004) - American Suzuki Motor Corporation (ASMC) today announced that Team Yoshimura Suzuki factory rider Aaron Yates will be sanctioned for his actions at the season-opening round of the AMA/Chevy Trucks Superbike Championship Series in Daytona Beach, Fla., on Saturday, March 6, 2004.

According to ASMC, Yates acted in an unsportsman-like manner while representing Team Yoshimura Suzuki. His personal conduct has resulted in ASMC levying a $25,000 fine against Yates.

"I understand the frustration that Aaron was feeling," said Mel Harris, vice president of ASMC's Motorcycle/ATV Operations. "This was the second consecutive year where he would have had a podium finish at the Daytona 200 if circumstances hadn't intervened. Despite that frustration, cooler heads must prevail in professional racing situations. We at Suzuki feel that the fine is appropriate for the conditions."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.