Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, does anyone else have this problem, or is it just my screwy f***in' computer???

Generally, when I'm typing out a post, I'll get done with it, and then I'll go back and re-read it to see if everything's correct, and to see if I want to change anything. (It's called "proofreading". Some people should look into it...)

Anyway, what happens is this:

I'll see something I want to change, a word or phrase, and I'll insert the cursor into the text, and start to backspace to erase the words... Usually this is no problem, but sometimes, as soon as I hit the backspace button, all of a sudden the "hourglass" icon comes on next to the pointer, and my page goes back to the previous page, AND I LOSE MY ENTIRE REPLY!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's as though my computer interprets the backspace button to be a "back" command. :rolleyes:

If I then click "forward", it goes back to the reply form, but now it's blank!

This has happened to me several times now! So my question is, is it something I'm doing wrong? Or is my computer just a piece of sh*t with a mind of its own??? (Actually, I already know the answer to that question, but is this yet another thing that it screws up?)

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

(Before you ask: Gateway 450 Meg, 10 Gig HD, Windows 98, I.E. 5.0, 2 years old. So it should be able to handle anything!)

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

------------------
"If you want to keep working here, Son --- stay off the drugs..."

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Well,
IE normally interprets the backspace key as a Go Back command. Just try it on any webpage. However it is not supposed to interepret it when your cursor is in a form field.
So:
Either your browser is f'd up,
Or your accidentally clicking out of the box and then hitting the backspace key.

Just some thoughts.

will

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
<A HREF="http://redninja.sportbikeworld.com" TARGET=_blank>
http://redninja.sportbikeworld.com</A>
99ZX-6e

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Scott,

Funny -Sounds like you and I have the same exact computer bought at the same time! :) I got the 19" monitor, voodoo2 and 128 ram for game play. Im very happy with this Gateway compared to my previous Acer craptop.

I use IE5 and have never experienced that problem. My only problem is that sometimes I look into a thread and when I go back to the main forum directory all the yellow lights are gone.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IE normally interprets the backspace key as a Go Back command. Just try it on any webpage.

Well, that sucks! I never knew that. Sure enough, that's exactly the effect I'm getting. However, I am sure I was clicking inside the form field, so I think you're right about my browser being screwed up.

In fact, this seems to always happen when I've clicked something outside the form, and then clicked back in to make corrections. What's weird is, the first correction I'll make works okay, and then as I move the cursor to a different line of text, to make another correction, and that's when I lose the page!

I guess I'll just have to be careful with it until I end up throwing my computer out the window! (Which may happen any minute, now...) :mad:

Since there's about 5 other ways to go forward and back between web pages, does anyone know a way to disable the backspace button from doing that?

------------------

[This message has been edited by AZ Scott (edited June 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, I've done that before too. It is VERY annoying. I wish there was some way to remap the keyboard shortcuts, but alas, it's Microsoft...

Only advice is that which was given - make sure your cursor is really in the form field before using the backaspace.

------------------
- Dan

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried clicking "forward", and I think it may have worked a couple of times, but usually when it goes back to the form, everything's gone...

------------------

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Mine does this as well (IE 5.5 beta). All I have to do is hit the forward button on top of the toolbar to go back to my reply and finish editing. Have you tried just simply hitting the forward button to recover your info? I know it sounds really basic, but it works for me. Try it out!

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Might be a 5.5 feature. i know in my 5.0 and 5.01 versions, if you "forward back" the form entries are all blanked out.

------------------
- Dan

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, that makes sense, but that's not what happens in my case. There's definitely a blinking cursor in the text box when I'm editing, and since it usually happens after typing out a long post, there's no way everything hasn't loaded by then.

It's gotten to the point that I'm leery of ever hitting the backspace key any more! Every time I hit it, I hold my breath...

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

G

·
HEY GUYS,

You have to wait for the page to load fully or the object in focus will loose focus! It has to do with when the page half loads you can see most objects on the screen but there are still little picture's that have not loaded and have a higher TAB ORDER.

This means if I have a page and it has >>>>

1. picture
2. picture
3. picture
4. TEXT BOX
5. picture
99.picture

The whole page must load then the tab order is initiated..

TIP :Double check that there is blinking cursor inside the text box before you hit the backspace key. :)

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

G

·
I guess you can try to download netscape ?

STUPID MICROSOFT!

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts