Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you give the brand, model and specifications of this gorgeous looking little sportbike?

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smeghead said:
Is it a Yamaha SD/SR or something 200 ?
Smeg is that an answer or a question? :D

Anyway, you re right but can you try to be more specific?
There is no SD, the SR is 4 stroke, but you re very very close!
And what about the specs? It's easy really, it's 200cc water cooled, and it came of another Yamaha that wasn't a road bike.

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ve never heard of this ATV (not my speciality :)), but probably the engine is the same.
Try to think simpler, like a very popular Yamaha on-off 200cc 2 stroke ;)
BTW , this bike in the picture looks even better from close, it's very small and I hear that it is perfect for tight mountain roads :)
It has 35 hp and weighs only 105 kg!

Aris

·
Registered
128 Posts
titomike said:
Not sure of the model, but the engine could have come from the Yamaha Blaster 200cc quad. :)
Nope, the Blaster is/was always air-cooled only, so I don't think that could be the same engine.
I'll guess the engine would have to be a DT200(W)R, as far as I see, that's the only 200cc 2-stroke water cooled engine that Yamaha has.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FrankieG said:

I'll guess the engine would have to be a DT200(W)R, as far as I see, that's the only 200cc 2-stroke water cooled engine that Yamaha has.
FrankieG you got it right. The engine of the SDR200 is from the DT200.

Here is another nice pic of this little sportbike:

Aris

·
Registered
373 Posts
Cool motorcycle Aris...

Hard to beleive that is a 1987. Were they only available in Japan, or do you see them in Europe?

Andy

·
Registered
128 Posts
Alright, now I really want one of these!! That is an absolutely beautiful bike. I agree with Andy, if not for the mirrors and the cast wheels, it looks like it could have been made last year. I found one website that said they were Japan only and strangely enough, only 4-speed tranny!?

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's true that it was for the Japanese market only. I knew about this bike from a someone who bought it in Greece. Until recently (when EEC laws forbid direct imports from Japan) there was a big number of used Japanese bikes imported directly.

I did a little research and finally found something I could read about the bike.
On the link below you can see almost everything about the SDR.
It's in Japanese but the table with specs is clear and you can see that it has 6 speed gearbox(from the DT actually) and even the ratios and everything else.
I doubt that you can buy such a bike though, except if in your country the laws about 'approval' is really lacking.

http://www3.tok2.com/home/SDR/catalog/sdr/sdr-1b.jpg

I just wanted to add that in the flesh it's even better than in the pics, but it's very small in size.
Aris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts