Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a concept motorcycle was displayed by a major manufacturer. What was the year, make, and name?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very good everyone! I thought I would make it a little easier then the last one Aris did!! :D

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Ok, so here's a dumb question from someone who isn't very mechanically inclined:

WHy haven't any manufacturers released a bike with the front swing arm (for lack of a better term)? Does it just totally screw up the handling? Or will it work, but forks are just a lot better?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
spicersh said:
Ok, so here's a dumb question from someone who isn't very mechanically inclined:

WHy haven't any manufacturers released a bike with the front swing arm (for lack of a better term)? Does it just totally screw up the handling? Or will it work, but forks are just a lot better?

All the different front end types have advantages and disadvantages. Forks end up being the best comprimise of everything. Bikes have been released with different front ends, but they have been less then successful.

One of the BMW cruisers has a front swingarm, which makes for a very plush highway ride. That front end does not handle well when leaned over. Thats the comprimse on front ends, is upright handling vs. Leaned handling.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kevlar7R said:
All the different front end types have advantages and disadvantages. Forks end up being the best comprimise of everything. Bikes have been released with different front ends, but they have been less then successful.

One of the BMW cruisers has a front swingarm, which makes for a very plush highway ride. That front end does not handle well when leaned over. Thats the comprimse on front ends, is upright handling vs. Leaned handling.
Very well said Kevlar. One other consideration is weight. Some riders like to wheelie their bikes and "forks" are the lightest. I like to wheelie to keep the front tire wear to a minimum. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts