Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its midnight, and I just got home from work / friends house... Now you know its cold when you have to scrape frost off of your seat! I love warm weather, especially for riding, but before the bike i was a winter guy so I dont mind the cold. It makes you think though when the fog on your face shield freezes.

It was amusing though, all the looks I got from people in their cars... people around here are wimps, I just hope the bike is ok in temps this cold. Oh and for future refernce... Pirelli Diablos DO NOT like cold weather, which is another possible benefit of really cold riding: learning how to control slides. Bundle up.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I can imagine the looks. They're probably worse than the one's i get when i ride in a monsoon.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
The further below 60 you get, the more you have to be cautious of the grip. 30's aren't good.:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
v65rider said:
There is a guy that rode into work last night, the temp is about 29 degrees. That is way beyond my comfort zone.
He may be like me, I don't have a car, if I go anywhere it is one two wheels. The only thing that bothers me with cold weather riding is ice, ice sucks big time, snow is no big deal, but ice really sucks. Can you tell I've crashed on ice?

James.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the main reasons i ride this cold, besides not minding it, is the parking situation here at my school. It is 100x's easier, less stresful, and cheaper to ride a motorcycle then it is to drive. Parking permits for cars=$300+/semester Motorcycle=$50/year
Always open motorcycle spaces at almost EVERY building. Cops are reluctant to give bikes tickets. And the biggie: Towing companies won't touch you (or at least i would hope). Towing is a huge industry here in newark, and so far ive parked in spots that would have gotten my car towed in minutes.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
My season is very limited at this time & really I should be out riding to-day for while below freezing in the morning it is above it right now while to-morrow might be dull & hair warmer when I take off.

Still as Dad says traction is questionable when close to freezing temp. Also with snow at higher altitudes, of these mtn roads, though it will be melted off(?) there is a possibility I will encounter sand/salt to give cages traction or it might be sand/gravel/salt & this will ruin a good ride.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Now I really feel like a wuss. I rode to work, 2nd shift, 4 of 5 days this week. Wednesday night, on the ride home, it was about 52 degrees, and despite being dressed for it, I was quite chilled by the end of my 12 mile ride. I couldn't ride Thursday for non-weather reasons, but did ride again on Friday in similar temps. It didn't seem as cold, though. I certainly didn't feel the chill tonight when I arrived home.

Anyway, I was just saying to my wife a little while ago that I probably wouldn't be riding to to work any next week with highs only in the mid-50s and lows in the 30s. I don't mind the cold, I've always loved winter. But it looks like it's gonna be daytime rides only for at least the next week. Besides, they are calling for rain as well next week, and I don't like riding in the rain, especially a cold rain.

That's okay though, cause we'll have at least another month of off and on good riding days around here. Maybe even into early December.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re: Tires for the cold?

Shyryder said:
What tires do you find work well in the cold? Or do you really learn to handle slides?;)
I run avon's on my BMW, they do pretty good in the winter, but it is a heavy bike, and I do take it easy. Even then you still get in a little sliding practice from time to time.

James.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Do any of you ride snowmobiles? I remeber last year when the season was just starting, I was working ad advace I think guy must of just to got the bike or something casued he was dress in a full snowmobile suit out on his R6 or R1 Don't remember it was a nice day about mid 40's with sun. But it flet cold. Yesterday it was about 45 degrees here I had mom's 93 saab convertiable which I don't always get to drive. It is a blast to drive. I had my jacket on. Top went down and heat came on I loved it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Note to self: Don`t take the long way home from work when its 40º out and your pant legs are soaking wet:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts