Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a good one for you :)

This is a combination of motorcycle and tank!!
Who produced it , when, how was it called, etc.

Aris

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
It looks like something you'd see put together in that show Junkyard Wars!

Emrah

·
Registered
865 Posts
I guess the drivers were dispensible....:(

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've seen these in World War II movies. They always have the German soldiers riding around on them. So... since everybody knows that movies are always factual, it must be German (or one of the Axis countries) and must from be around that time period.

Am I getting warm? or has Hollywood failed me?

BTW, I've always wondered how these things handle. I wouldn't think that one bike wheel in front would have enough "turning power" to turn that bulky mass and those two big tracks. Tanks usually turn by using the tracks. If this does the same, why have the wheel?

·
Registered
120 Posts
tigertex said:

Am I getting warm? or has Hollywood failed me?
I think I remember seeing Telly Savalas on one in the Dirty Dozen,

Oh and it was made by NSU, who later joined DKW, Auto Union, Wanderer among others to become Audi and create Kraft durch Technik to fool americans into buying overpriced Volkswagons. They also made a cool suoercharged GP racer.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Aris,

The NSU Kettenkrads were produced between 1940 - 1949. A total of 8411 were produced between 1940 - 1945. An additional 550 more were produced between 1945 - 1949.

"Ketten" = "Tracks"

"Krad" is the military short form of "Kraftrad" = "Motorcycle".

So a "Kettenkrad" is a "tracked motorcycle".

Link source: http://www.kettenkrad.de/indexe.htm

Andy

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tigertex you were warm :), but Lt Gustl was hot ;) and finally Andy found everything about it :)

Tigertex, by turning the handlebars, the driver controlled also the clutches of the two tracks, just like the controls of a normal tank do.
There is no way the front wheel would turn the thing otherwise, as you pointed out!

Aris

·
Registered
865 Posts
What was their purpose....:confused:

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They were capable of transporting a few soldiers to off road areas where nothing else would make it.
Here is apicture with the German minister testing it in the mud!

The small print says:
"The minister tests himself! In difficult terrain the minister for armament and ammunition, Speer, tests the latest model of the Kettenkrad, which is because of its capabilities off-road and in the mud excellent for the difficult terrain in the east".

Aris

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently some were also used to tow fighter planes!!

Here it is:

'A Kettenkrad tows a Messerschmidt ME 262 jet fighter on a German airfield (1944 or 1945). To save fuel, the jet fighters didn't taxi with their own engines.'

It seems it was a multi purpose vehicle for the Germans :D

Aris

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
ariszr7 said:
Tigertex you were warm :), but Lt Gustl was hot ;) and finally Andy found everything about it :)

Tigertex, by turning the handlebars, the driver controlled also the clutches of the two tracks, just like the controls of a normal tank do.
There is no way the front wheel would turn the thing otherwise, as you pointed out!

Aris
Yes. On Andy's link there is a pretty detailed description of how the steering works. Wouldn't you know it's under "Frequently Asked Questions"? LOL:D Apparently, if you turn the bars a little, only the front wheel turns (for long sweeping turns) and if you turn the bar a bunch, it activates the track steering.

·
Registered
329 Posts
tigertex said:

Yes. On Andy's link there is a pretty detailed description of how the steering works. Wouldn't you know it's under "Frequently Asked Questions"? LOL:D Apparently, if you turn the bars a little only the front wheel turns (for long sweeping turns) and if you turn the bar a bunch, it activates the track steering.
Tiger,
I bet you took all your toys apart when you were a kid....oops so did I. Sorry:D

·
Registered
309 Posts
kawi jm said:

Tiger,
I bet you took all your toys apart when you were a kid....oops so did I. Sorry:D
LOL! :D Sure Did! NOTHING survived to pass down to my little brother. Taking stuff apart was always so much more fun than putting it back together again!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Re: Why was there a wheel? Why not just a track vehicle?

TK99R1 said:
That's why they lost the war...
HA! Many factors led to the Germans losing the war, but lack of engineering prowess was NOT one of them!:rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I still think it's Harley's newest concept bike in disguise. The "T-Rod". They're a forward thinking company and are preparing for their ever aging customer base. Shown is the "Girder Classic" BUT... counting different wheels, colors, and a tube type front end, is only one of 168 models to choose from! It's better than the average trike 'cause with the metal tracks.... more stuff to chrome!:D

·
Registered
195 Posts
svBob said:
What is the point of the motorcycle front end? Why not make it just a tracked vehicle?
Less wear on the steering clutches, as they weren't used in gentle turns, as well as better vertical obstacle performance (the same reason US halftracks had that funky roller on the front bumper).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts