Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 19 years old, and just bought my first streetbike, my main concern is trying to explain my thought process which led to this purchase to my parents of which have never owned a motorcycle. I have ridden quite a bit on dirt bikes, and am enrolled in the rider safety course, do you think this will show enough responsibility, or should I prepare for WWIII.

P

·
0 Posts
What's the whole story? Are you living at home, under their roof, on their grocery tab? Or out on your own? Either way, be a mature adult (or, at least, pretend to be one) when explaining it to them. Don't resort to the "I'm 19, I can do whatever I want!" crap. Tell them you appreciate their concern, and you love them enough to do everything within your power to ensure that they don't lose you. Tell them about the safety course, tell them you are always going to wear the proper safety gear (helmet, boots, gloves, armored jacket/pants - you are going to, right?), just be respectful.

And be safe, the R6 is not a toy.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Be sure to call your parents ahead of time before going over to talk to them. That way, they can be standing in the front yard when you pull-up and do a big rolling stoppie in front of the house. :D

Seriously though, Pete is right. Have a "mature" conversation with them.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I like Petes approach, thats about the best you can do, but alot of how it will turn out depends on how your parents are and their willingness to accept things like this....

Good luck brotha! :eek:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Pete put it beautifully. No matter how upset you might get, stay on subject! I can assure you that their ONLY concern is your well-being. Act accordingly. If you don't think their concerns have any basis, then you're denying the facts. If you're denying the facts, then you're a good candidate for EXACTLY what they're worried about. It's up to you to show the maturity and exercise the good judgement to make it a good experience for yourself and not a bad one for them. Take the safety courses, read all you can on safe riding practices, and above all, don't EVER let your balls, or anyone elses for that matter, get in the way of your brain.

Good luck! It's a lot of fun... but a big responsibility, too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone, to answer a few quetions yes I do still live at home but, but I support myself to the best of my ability. (car, insurance, food, gas etc.) I do understand why they will be concerned, but I have tried to prove myself as a responsible kid. I have never wanted anything more than, how much i wanted a motorcycle. I hope this goes well, thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
advice

Here is a little saying my father told my wife when she expressed concern about me riding motorcycles....."a motorcycle is only as dangerous as the rider."

·
Registered
85 Posts
You know, I have the same problem, only I'm lucky enough to live 3 hours away from my parents! So, I think I will just conveniently 'forget' to tell them about my new purchase and if they find out that's fine. I've also purchased extra life insurance, since I am a single mommy.

Good luck with your parents!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts