Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Just got a new 2005 SV650S. I have 1200 miles on it already and i'm lovin it. But I have a couple of newb questions hoping someone can answer them.

1. This may be hard to explain but......when I go to get gas for my bike, i usually put the kickstand down and let it sit on the stand. BUt this means the bike is leaning, meaning when I fill the tank, it isn't "technically" full. I was wondering if its ok to sit on my bike so it's level with the surface instead of being on an angle and fill it to the top of the tank?

2. Many people have asked me the horsepower and torque of my bike. I looked online and throughout the manual and can't find it. Does anyone know the maximum horsepower (doesnt matter at what revs...) and torque on a 2005 SV650S?

Thanks guys, thats all.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
1. I wouldn't suggest sitting on it. If you accidentally overflow the tank, you'll wear a sh*tload of fuel. I just live with a not-quite-full tank myself. I try to park so that the bike leans 'uphill'.

2. 69hp / 45ft.lbs (According to www.totalmotorcycle.com)

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I sit on the bike while refueling. All it takes is a small amount of attention to avoid the dreaded petrol-crotch cookeetree spoke of.

As far as hp/torque the numbers I found were for an 03 SV650S, but it puts it at 72.5 hp @ 8750 rpm; 47.2 ft.lbs @ 7250 rpm; and 12.53 sec @ 104.76 mph in the quarter mile.

http://motorcyclistonline.com/performancedata/

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I just lean the bike over on the kickstand and fill it up. I don't really care about the 0.05 gallons in my tank that's still empty.. I usually stop before I hit reserve anyway. And I always lean the bike so the kickstand side is facing the gas pump. Also.. this is hard to explain.. but be careful when you first put the gas handle thing in your tank.. sometimes there's still a little gas left over in the hose and it'll spill out without you squeezing the handle.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
there's an automatic shut-off valve in my SV, much like a car, still I push it sometimes to even out that $5.94 to $6.00.

·
Registered
892 Posts
hey i'm curious about the horsepower on my '05 cbr600f4i.....i found the '01 models, should the 05 be in the same?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
hey i'm curious about the horsepower on my '05 cbr600f4i.....i found the '01 models, should the 05 be in the same?
It's probably pretty close. Close enough that you'll never know the difference. The '05 may have a few more ponies though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
there's an automatic shut-off valve in my SV, much like a car, still I push it sometimes to even out that $5.94 to $6.00.
Shut-off value in your SV?

Doesn't that have to do with the pump and not the vehicle?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
After a few month of riding one will only refuel to the highest level with the bike on its prop stand, for trying to get in those few more drops can be a disaster in dropping the bike, spilling the fuel on yourself, if you are seated on the bike & lord knows what else.

When m/cing is new many a rider come up with sort of childish like desires to making their bike look childish due to decals all over, trying to add new electronical components & such. Find a rider with 10 or more yrs riding experience & you will see his ways are so different to beginners for his main concern is RIDING.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Smitty said:

Find a rider with 10 or more yrs riding experience & you will see his ways are so different to beginners for his main concern is RIDING.
:D You spoke some truth there, Smitty.:D

It is funny how so much of the desire to "individualize" a bike results in conformity. At a sportbike gathering, my bike is the one that's different because it's sooo stock appearing. Every factory sticker intact, even have the big mudflap of the early '90's rides, totally intact. :) I've had some ask me why I don't take the dremel to it but they are all of the same ones who would rather be behind me on a wet road.;)

And when I put on my turn signals, you can see them and recognize my intention to turn. It doesn't look like a malfuntioning tailight or a lightning bug hitching a ride.:D

The only mods are to the front end, where I had to make a spacer to get the sag right and raised the fork oil level to stop bottoming on hard braking, and shimmed the needles to smooth out the mid-range.:thumb:

As far as straddling the bike gassing it up, I wouldn't do it. It's not an absolute thing but mistakes can be made and a crotchful of gasoline isn't a pleasant thing. It will burn like crazy for a few days afterwards and if the worst happens, like something lights up, I'd rather be on the ground, feet ready to do their thing.:)

Good luck with the bike. They're pretty sweet rides.:thumb:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Dad said:
:D You spoke some truth there, Smitty.:D

It is funny how so much of the desire to "individualize" a bike results in conformity. At a sportbike gathering, my bike is the one that's different because it's sooo stock appearing. Every factory sticker intact, even have the big mudflap of the early '90's rides, totally intact. :) I've had some ask me why I don't take the dremel to it but they are all of the same ones who would rather be behind me on a wet road.;)

And when I put on my turn signals, you can see them and recognize my intention to turn. It doesn't look like a malfuntioning tailight or a lightning bug hitching a ride.:D

The only mods are to the front end, where I had to make a spacer to get the sag right and raised the fork oil level to stop bottoming on hard braking, and shimmed the needles to smooth out the mid-range.:thumb:

As far as straddling the bike gassing it up, I wouldn't do it. It's not an absolute thing but mistakes can be made and a crotchful of gasoline isn't a pleasant thing. It will burn like crazy for a few days afterwards and if the worst happens, like something lights up, I'd rather be on the ground, feet ready to do their thing.:)

Good luck with the bike. They're pretty sweet rides.:thumb:
Like Dad, I like to keep my bike different, stock. I may add a tank protector, or a double-bubble windscreen, but the mods I do are meant to be more functional than aesthetic.

As far as straddling the bike while refueling, do people really pay so little attention that they spray gas all over themselves? I've never even been close to having that problem. I just squeeze the lever to about half and fill the bike nice and slow, and leave a small amount of room at the top. It's really not that hard. It's all about personal comfort, so obviously do what you want. I would advise though that if you are a person who pays so little attention to things or are just really twitchy that you dowse yourself in gas, perhaps riding sportbikes isn't your bag in the first place. :D

·
Registered
892 Posts
agreed spicersh, that should be part of the MSF test. If you can't pay attention long enough to fill ur bike while straddleing it then u got no business on the road, now that being said, i do normally fill while on the stand cause i like a nice stretch at the gas pump :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
TMH213 said:
1. This may be hard to explain but......when I go to get gas for my bike, i usually put the kickstand down and let it sit on the stand. BUt this means the bike is leaning, meaning when I fill the tank, it isn't "technically" full. I was wondering if its ok to sit on my bike so it's level with the surface instead of being on an angle and fill it to the top of the tank?
im JW but, isnt this why the older bikes had their fill holes on the right side of the tank, so the fill cap was on the "high side" of the tank? im just curious.
-rOOster-

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
rooster you must be thinking of the HD & Indian bikes with the oil on the left side while petrol went in sort of on the right.

All other makes had the fuel tank opening basically where we have them now.

------------------------------

Spicer in this very town a few yrs back some 4 to 6 chaps in their late 30s or mid 40s actually sat on their bikes to spill the fuel onto themselves. Oh I should put that correct in saying just 4 out of the 6 made this error.

Sensible mods make sense such as Dad & yourself. Mine are very mild in all three bikes are with Kevlar front brakes lines, one has a tank bra, all three share the same tank bag, while two have rotary steering head dampers.

Like Dad I leave the big mud flap on the rear mudguard for it does rain here & lot of crap gets flying plus my signal lights are not sunk in little things that are hard for some cage drivers to see & lastly all three bikes have more power then I can ever possibly use so the stock cans are on them. No decals, for the new rider, are left on the bikes & no addition new ones are added though I have a desk drawer full of them. I do NOT have to look different to others for I know who I am & know my bike no matter where it is amongst others, but then I do not get in with many riders as I ride along all the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
actually i was thinking of the triumph i was looking at on ebay..and it was just off to the right "corner" lol. and i thought of it like this, the bike is tilted to clutch side, so with the gas fill on the throttle side, then it would make a different plane, there fore filling all the way to the cap.

like that.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
I just lean the bike over on the kickstand and fill it up. I don't really care about the 0.05 gallons in my tank that's still empty.. I usually stop before I hit reserve anyway. And I always lean the bike so the kickstand side is facing the gas pump. Also.. this is hard to explain.. but be careful when you first put the gas handle thing in your tank.. sometimes there's still a little gas left over in the hose and it'll spill out without you squeezing the handle.
What he said.

The rationalizations I read about why sitting on the bike to fill the tank is obviously acceptable reminds me of an alcoholic who just was told they have a problem. The fact remains that it probably is smarter to leave the bike on the side stand and not obsess over the 0.05 gallons you couldn't get in the tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts