Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well all the controversy about the 954 steering stem, is sumed up right here, as today in the mail i received a letter from HONDA, quoting exactly this....

" American Honda's motorcycle division is conducting a product update campaign to replace the steering stem components on 2002 model/year CBR954RR's. Our records indicate that you own one of these motorcycles.

Repalcement components are now available to enhance handling during high-speed use such as as closed-course competition on a racetrack.

If you use your motorcycle at high-speeds such as a closed-course competition use, please contact your nearest authorized Honda Motorcycle dealer and make an appointment to have the steering stem components replaced. The dealer will replace the parts at no cost to you. Please plan to leave your motorcycle at the dealer for at least half a day for dealer scheduling.

THIS PRODUCT CAMPAIGN UPDATE ENDS JUNE 3, 2004. YOu must have your CBR954RR updated prior to tihs date; after this date your motorcycle will no longer be eligible to have this update performed free of charge.

If you no longer have moved or no longer own your 20002 CBR954RR, please take a moment to complete and mail the enclosed information change card so we can update our records.

If you have questions about this campaign, please call Motorcycle customer service at (310)-532-9811.

We apologize for any inconveinience this may cause you.

Thank you for your CBR954RR purchase "

Sincerley,
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.
MOTORCYLE DIVISION

After reading this, personally I thought it was Fuggin B.S. basically they saying if your not going to be racing then it is ok..Well all of us may not be track riders on a regular basis, however who the hell doesnt ride there bike @ high speeds..Im not saying, its on a daily basis,,but even the most law obiding cruiser type driver, opens it up once in a while..Me, i ride my bike fairly hard, I dont beat the piss out of it,, but my 954 does get a workout...It seems to me that HONDA is advertising a recall, from all the controversy about this issue, however maybe the are trying to avoid getting out of replacing all the beat parts that were installed on some of these 954..Dunno....Anyway mayb its just me over reacting,, but this is the letter word for word, so let me know what you think?? You paid $9-$10000.oo for your bike too,unless ya stole it..HoLLA BAKK
:( :(

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ruff-rida said:
After reading this, personally I thought it was Fuggin B.S. basically they saying if your not going to be racing then it is ok. Well all of us may not be track riders on a regular basis, however who the hell doesnt ride their bike @ high speeds?
The description "to enhance handling during high-speed use such as as closed-course competition on a racetrack" reads as if it were written for the benefit of a jury--and I'd guess it was. It's very likely that every funkwit stunt monkey who ends up in a wheelchair after crashing his 954 will try to blame it on the motorcycle rather than on his own limited skill and more-limited intellectual capacity. His attorney will introduce Honda's own letter as evidence of a flaw. Upon reading it, the jury will note that Honda admits no defect whatsoever and offers only a racing enhancement.

They're offering to upgrade the steering stem and bearings [I now have a copy of the Service Bulletin from American Honda] at no charge to you. Nowhere do they limit availability of the modification to racing applications, only mentioning that as an example of high-speed use.

It sounds to me like Honda is doing the right thing and trying to avoid the "no good deed goes unpunished" effect.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Agas,
im not making thus chyyt up to scar people...Im not positive if it was all 954's, or just a certain group out of production...You can interpret the letter as you desire...Just because you didnt receive a letter doesnt mean you wont..I would presume that Honda is going down a list, so depending on when you purchased your bike, you may not get one right away or if your bike wasnt affected, you may not get one @ all...Also,. like i said im not sure if its all the 954's or just a certain block that came out of production, the letter doesnt indicate...

But lastly, if you think i have nothing better todo then make this type of chyt up, to piss people off, when then :finger: ..I simply posted this as a an awareness message, out of respect for other riders..., especially the ones that are dedicated members to this forum. Finally why dont you call the customer service # posted in this original thread & speak to someone directly, so you can ascertain that this isnt' a pharce....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ruff-rida said:
Im not making thus chyyt up to scar people...Im not positive if it was all 954's, or just a certain group out of production.
From the Service Bulletin mentioned in my previous post:

AFFECTED UNITS:
2002 CBR954RR models as follows:

49 state:
JH2SC500*2M000001 to JH2SC500*2M008723

CA model:
JH2SC501*2M000001 to JH2SC501*2M001587

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dan, is there a site that I can go to to read this service bulletin? I tried to do a search for technical service bulletins on Hondas, but couldn't find anything.

I'd like to read up a bit on this. I have not gotten anything from Honda yet. My serial number/VIN falls within the ones you posted.

Any help would be much appreciated.........JB

·
Registered
152 Posts
On the 954RR.com

A while back there were photos on this website from Germany that showed DRASTIC scarring on the fork tube slider from the bearings installed as original equipment. I would not consider this an optional service work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: On the 954RR.com

DIRTYCURTYD said:
A while back there were photos on this website from Germany that showed DRASTIC scarring on the fork tube slider from the bearings installed as original equipment. I would not consider this an optional service work.
DirtyCurtyD, what exactly do you mean by that? Are you saying that you (me?) should not consider having this taken care of? Or are you saying this should not be considered an OPTIONAL fix, but rather a MANDATORY fix? I'm not sure, but I took it as the latter.

Just checking.....JB

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check Photos

I am saying check out the photos. There were some writers on one of the 954 webs that talked about "I am just going to keep on riding" and that this change in bearings and races was a "downgrade". I think if there are photos showing damaged fork uppers from these OME bearings it could lead to problems steering. Lots of new models have initial problems after theyr'e out in the market awhile. Honda is probably calling it a service bulletin instead of a recall to limit liability. That way they say the bike was fine when sold but they are recommending this service for track and high speed (illegal??) use.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check out 954RR.com

Latest post has an actual guy who upon removing his fork from the steering head had a bunch of aluminum shavings drop out the bottom. The top races and bearings were in fine shape, but bottoms were trashed.:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
You folks need to learn to use your head! If there is a problem as the above mention! Dont you think it would have to do with the quality of technician work, when he/she swap the steering stem components! Metal shavings means the bearing were not torgue and lock per mfg specs! Secondly how can the bearing score the forks? Dont you think that has to do with loose fork clamps!

I dont remember Yamaha making an offer back in 98-99, for the R1 that had nasty head shakes! Some of you people as so ungreatful!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts