Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wuz up fellaz, wanted to know if any one started out on a 954 or r1 for first bike, right after a completing a msf course or something, just curious cause (maybe for obvious reasons) have never heard of anyone starting out on such a strong bike, hit me back with details of anyones experience with a liter for first bike.

·
Registered
515 Posts
my 1st real street bike was a ...

93 gixxer 750...i now have a 98...theres no problem with starting out on a bigger bike, as long as you have respect for the power..

get the bike YOU want, put a million miles on it and have fun..this is what its all about..
if your gona get into trouble on a 750 or bigger bike, you would have also done it on something smaller..:D

·
Registered
865 Posts
I changed my mind on a response....do a search for "first bike"
threads or something...its been beat to death.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Yes, this subject HAS been beaten to death... and into the afterlife.

But to add something to the dead horse, if this is your first bike, you should also think about insurance rates. I think the brackets go something like:

- 450-599cc
- 600-899cc
- 900+cc

The rates will be different from company to company, but as I mentioned, if this is your first bike, and you go with a 900+cc, you'll be in for a shock.

My street bike is a ZX9R which is technically 899cc, so I fall into the next lower bracket.

954 or R1... there's no ducking under.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Big first bike.

My first bike was (and still is) a cbr 900rr with a pipe and jet kit. So it puts out about 110 hp. However I rode constantly as a kid (5 years on a kawa 125cc hey don't laugh) and I've raced my car on lapping days and autocrosses for the past 3 years so I know how to respect speed and required breaking distances.

If you do not allready have "race skills" you will very easily kill yourself, it's way too easy to just open it up and bang before you know it your going 100+ mph and whoops theres a corner and your dead.

So no race knowledge = buy a small bike to start with so you can learn without death like a ninja 250 or 500. You can probably sell it the next year for the same you bought it for if you buy used.. If you do allready have race knowledge then buy whatever you want.

You make think I'm overstating the dying or being paralyzed thing. But you woulden't believe the ammount of threads I've read since I joined this website about people dying, usually because they overestemated cornering speeds went off the road and hit a guardrail or tree.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Of course you can start out on a literbike for a first bike. But that will not make you a better rider as you'll probably spend more time worrying about "respecting the power" than learning good skills.

·
Registered
241 Posts
All I can say is watch out for that first step, in case of a R1, it is a very big one and so is that first fall. I learned on dirt bike 100cc, then 250 enduro then 250/Open MX then Street 1000 (which was totaled in 2 months). I learned how a motorcycle works off road first. The dirt experiance allowed me to pick the spot to land if I had no choice but to crash. If you ride a street bike, crashing is certain and just a matter of time. My point is with little or no prior motorcycle experiance, get a 600F2 or similar, no bigger. If you have a level head and are good off road, a big bike should not be a problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
well, i dont have a 954 or R1 but i recently got a Ninja ZX-9R for my first bike. i took the MSF course.

although i read somewhere that Kawasakis are heavier than other bikes, i was very surprised by how easy it was to handle it. yes, the bike is kinda heavy when i'm trying to park it backing up or turning, but genrally riding it, it was same like the Honda Rebel 250 i used when taking the MSF course.

of course, when i first took it out on the street and pulled the throttle, i was scared as shit. but i learned to respect her power and now i'm very comfortable with it.

so go ahead and buy whatever you want. just remember not to do anything stupid to prove that you are immature.

good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't have my bike yet but I started out on a dirtbike. I was already getting bored with the Honda Rebel in the MSF course but I also try to avoid altercations with the police. A 500 would probably make me happy forever.

As for starting out on a liter bike, I've been playing Superbike 2001 on my PC and noticed that "tiny bit too fast = major nasty slide" or worse "superman impersonation into a distant wall"

If you accidently blip the throttle in a turn your much more likely to break loose with that much HP than if you have something more user friendly. Aslo when you put the bike down you're also going to pay more to fix it and are more likely to cause more seriuos injuries.

If you do go with a bigger bike I'd recommend looking into a twin as it will have friendly power characeristics than a I4 for a beginner.

It will take years to gain the skill to squeeze all the performance out of an old 600 much less a newer liter bike. Mainly what your are going to get is a less forgiving bike that's more expensive and not as easy or fun to ride at legal speeds.

This isn't anything that hasn't been said before but it's all good advice. I'm just saving you from having to do a search ;)

Whatever you get, be safe and have fun!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Black-Snowman

Pretty good reply coming from somebody that does not even
own a bike yet....;) :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Black-Snowman

Cam McFarland said:
Pretty good reply coming from somebody that does not even
own a bike yet....;) :D
Thanks, I try :D Really it's just extensive use of the rarest of abilities: Common Sense ;)

For the beginner riders I think it lends more creditbillity to what the experianced riders are saying if a n00b agrees with them. Because OBVIOUSLY you guys don't know what your talking about :rolleyes:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I started on a 954, and switched in less then a week to a 95 900RR, no i didn't wreck the 954, just changed... i haven't had any problems yet, however i will agree with the guy who started on the zx9r, the first time i twisted my wrist holy freaking god, after that it was fine, i knew what to expect and haven't had many problems, i however am everyone on this sites worst nightmare, my first bike was a 900, i ride in a helmet, tshirt, and khakis, and i've never taken the MSF course... muahahahha.. i am walking death!... however i give myself credit for learning very quickly, being extremely intelligent, and knowing when i've gotten into something i can't handle - hence why i've been able to keep myself more or less out of trouble. just respect whatever bike you get, a 125cc bike deserves just as much respect as a 1300cc hayabusa, both bikes can kill you, both bikes can be a jolly good time, just respect it.

[edit] i kinda forgot this part until i hit "submit reply", also - stay on boards like these, and talk to people that own motorcycles and have been doing it for a while, they know more then you, and they will tell you things that will keep you from making small mistakes that costs lots of time and money, chances are 99% of people on these boards know WAY more then you, and 50% of them always will. knowledge is power, this site is Mount Olympus, bow to the Sport Bike Gods. [/edit]

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Black-Snowman

DaDuck748 said:

You don't wanna give away ALL our secrets... :eek:

LOL

·
Registered
379 Posts
Re: Big first bike.

krsteen said:

If you do not allready have "race skills" you will very easily kill yourself, it's way too easy to just open it up and bang before you know it your going 100+ mph and whoops theres a corner and your dead.

This ain't no sh*t (Robert, can I say "shit" in here, or will I get in trouble? I curse like a sailor,......'cause I was one:D :confused: )

Seriously, save yourself some misery and get a "sissy 600" (sarcasm). Learn to ride the piss out of it, and then get a bigger bike. By the time you learn to ride the wheels off of it, you should be able to slap some tires on it, sell it, maybe make a few $$ to a newbie squid wanting a bike....THEN go get a liter bike.

AND, save yourself some $$ too. (b/c $$ always seems to be more effective than "You'll kill yourself quicker than goose shit"). I guarantee you, for a good year or so (depending on how much you ride) you'll get your R1/954, go riding with a local group and get smoked all day by someone on a 600. Why? Because they can ride.

Seriously, i"m not being an ass, but i was in your shoes about a year ago. For a 1st streetbike, a 600 will be plenty. And I seriously doubt you'll milk it's potential anytime soon unless you're hitten some track days. Get a 600, and put the $$ you saved into goodies like exhaust, windscreens, forks...maybe some kick-ass wheels etc....600's don't disappoint first time riders.:thumb: Let us know what you get.;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Also note:

My 1st bike: '01 ZX-6R. I rode it for 6 mos, then had my first lowside (6 mos is usually the avg, righ guys?:twofinger ). Basically, I thought I was a Eric Bostrom (when I wasn't) and layed it down going a "bit" hot into the corner. A really GOOD rider probably could have saved it, but I froze a bit (target fixatio).

SO...............if I had bought a 954 (which I think looks schweet:thumb: ) I would have done the same damn thing. After the insurance totaled the bike out, I still had to pay about $200. So keep this in mind. Go for the 600, you''ll love it........at least until you're ready to get a big-un:D

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Well I'll toss in my 2 cents here...

My first bike was a lowly EX250. I wadded that thing a million times b/c I had no respect for it. So you can go too small with a first bike IMHO.

Now the other side of the coin is, I'm sure I would have wrecked my R1 if it was my first bike given enough time. The nice thing about the 250, it was cheap to repair and held up to damage well b/c it wasn't designed to be super light. The R1 on the other hand is known for basically exploding when they hit the ground.

For the most part, you can do anything on a modern 600 that you can do a liter bike. It's a bit more effort on the smaller machine but that just goes to show talent. I wouldn't recommend either bike (R1 or 954) as a first street bike to anyone. They are both incredibly light and powerful. It's not so much that you will break the tire loose, because that will ultimately happen, it's not having the expirience under your belt as to what to do when it does break loose. Learning how to handle rear slides on a liter bike is not the best idea. I'd much rather learn on something smaller and cheaper with a little less power. Then go to the liter bike and lay black strips out of every corner. This is basically what I did over time. Like I said I started out on a 250, then to 600s and then ultimately to the R1. I don't think that you should start on a 250 but I don't think that you should start on a brand new big bore either.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

ChR1s

P.S. Take the MSF course! It'll lower your insurance.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Knight of Ni said:
SO...............if I had bought a 954 (which I think looks schweet:thumb: ) I would have done the same damn thing. After the insurance totaled the bike out, I still had to pay about $200. So keep this in mind. Go for the 600, you''ll love it........at least until you're ready to get a big-un:D
Actually, that's a good point. I'm not an advocate of totalling bikes, but "THEY are basically all the same these days", meaning weight, style, etc.

A new 600 will cost about ~$8k. A 1000 will cost about $10k. WHEN you dump it, you will most likely have the same damage and same amount of damage. Say you incur $6k worth of damages. You would have totalled the 600 (75%), and you would have monies to get another ride. Whereas if you incur $6k on a 1000 (60%), you're stuck with a broken bike.

I know... I have a 98 ZX9R that suffered $7500 (right on if not slightly more than 75%) and my insurance did not total the bike. I was stuck with a broken bike, in the shop for 6 months while they fixed 'er up. If it had been a 600, I would have been breaking in a new bike. :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
When you learn to fly a plane you don't just jump straight to an F-16!!!
I still have a 250, and although it doesn't impress speed wise, it can still corner like a MoFo.
I'm 90% sure that I would have taken a trip into the scenery at my local twisties spot if I had a litre bike, and i'm 100% sure that I still would have been passed by the same people...
(Especially those Mad F*cks on trail bikes:eek: )
After 24000ks on a 250, now I'm going to get a 600 or something a little larger. It doesn't really bother me about horse-power specs, coz when you're in a 20 kph hairpin it don't mean shit.:twofinger

1 - 20 of 23 Posts