Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,
A buddy of mine just bought a 1993 fzr. When we went to take a look at the bike to test drive it, it started up fine, started slow becuase of the temp. up here in WI, but it still started. Now, a few days later, it won't start. Figures that this would happen the day after he bought it. The temperature is warmer than it was when it did start, so that couldn't be the problem.
Well anyways, this is what's happening. The starter is trying to turn the enigne over, but it just won't turn. At first i thought it might have had a weak battery, so we tried jumping it with my bike. Didn't work. So we bought a new battery. It turned over and ran for about 5 seconds, then died, and wont turn over anymore. It likes to backfire everytime we try and start her up.
i also thought that it might be too cold, so we put a space heater next to the bike and heated it for like 30+ minutes. The garage was toasty warm and the bike frame was no longer cold to the touch. But still the same thing happened. I am freakin stumped. :confused: Do you guys have any suggestions? I'll try just about anything to get it up and running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
VYPIR said:
I wonder if it could be the stator/charger (altenator)?

I have heard several cased of these going bad suddenly.
Are you sure you weren't hearing about the voltage regulator going bad?

This is a VERY common failure on all fzr600's older than 95 (I believe). Try jumping it from a car and see if it will fire the engine. If so, check the voltage at the battery terminals at about 3000rpm. If it's unusually high or low, it's probably the VR.

also, direct your friend here: http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.php?act=idx

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I just had my altenator go bad on my bike. A good way to check this is to test the altenator as well as the regulator. If you can find a factory manuel, it will explain how to go about it.

DO NOT use a car to jump start it. The amperage on the bike is different from that of a car and can cause damage to you electrical system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts