Sportbike World banner

929RR Kickin the R1's Ass in....

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  MEHLMAN 
#1 ·
How bout the 929RR kickin the R1's ass in the Formula Extreme class!! Man, ya gotta love it. It's been Kurtis Roberts for Team Erion Racing 1st in all 5 races so far with his teamate placing 2nd for most of the races.

In the last race at Mid Ohio only two R1's made it into the top 10. For a bike that's supposed to be so high and mighty I have to wonder what seems to be the complication.

Rock on Honda.................

------------------
A few clowns short of a circus...

#2 ·
No kidding! Kurtis Roberts is looking like the Formula Extreme equivalent of Rich Oliver in 250 GP! I think Erion could find a way to make anything run like stink but the 929 is an awesome platform! I think I've used enough exclamation points now! :D

------------------
"We don't got any beers. We got tequila, it's like beer."

#3 ·
Don't get me wrong, I am a Honda fan and the 929 is awesome but keep in mind that Erion has a budget that blows every othe competitor out of the water. They get direct support from the factory and the factory superbike team and their riders are paid better than the others. :)

Also, Kurtis Roberts is an excellent rider as is Josh Hayes. And Josh is a nice guy who really deserves the ride. Kurtis should be on a superbike next year.

I'm not trying to take away from them but I just want people to know what the competitors are up against.

For those that don't know it... Jake Zemke's bike is actually an Erion Honda. Sort of a satellite team.

I can't wait to see the Valvoline team with the upcoming GSXR1000(or 1100). It should really turn the Formula Xtreme series into a fight similar to last year. Last year was some good racing. The Suzukis, Hondas, Raptor, and R1s were all competitive. The Hondas just had the extra edge and very talented riders. :)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

#4 ·
Hey John, I saw what you were talking about with Steve Grigg last night on Speedvision. Sadowski was giving him some good airtime! From what I've gathered, you help on the team? Didn't catch the whole race; could you be seen? Too bad Rad Graves lost the front there at the end; they seemed to be dicing it up pretty good! Due to the rain? Anyway, good luck to you all on the rest of the season! :D

------------------

#5 ·
Yes, I was on television. I was way in the background putting warmers on Steve's bike during the interview with Martin and Chuck Graves and I was the one holding Steve's pit board during the race. :) They never showed a clear picture of me... bastards. :rolleyes:

It was bad to see Rad crash. He works very hard to make that bike compete. He is a good guy and a friend of the team and there is a fun rivalry going on. Steve was told not to come back to the garage if he let the 'Busa beat him. :D :D I was pissed when they didn't red flag that last lap. You could see Steve looking back at start/finish for Rad. He was afraid Rad wouldn't get through the rain. Rad's bike is about 40lbs heavier that the 929s. Rad should do well at Brainard. :)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

#6 ·
I'll try to get the race taped next time it's on & look for ya. I saw Grigg looking around after Rad went down; that's cool that he was concerned. I'm sure the 'Busa would be a handful in the rain! :cool:

------------------

#7 ·
Come on guys, you can't really think the bike is what is winning the races for him. Sure it helps, but I'd have to say that racing is 60% rider, 20% start, and 20% equipment. A fast rider will go fast regardless of what bike he is on. Don't get me wrong, I love Hondas, but I love all bikes.

------------------

#8 ·
taner,

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. The Erion bikes are that good. Any of the top eight FXtreme riders would beat Kurtis if they switched bikes with him. He would probably make it a decent race for a while but he would still lose.

Erion pretty much dominated when it was the Superteams Championship(endurance) and have dominated every since it changed to Formula Xtreme, just not as bad as this year. Kurtis is the best rider of the Erion bikes. Josh Hayes and Jake Zemke(his bike is an Erion built machine) are both very talented.

Put John Hopkins on a Erion Honda and he would probably win. Josh is just now getting over his injuries.

The competition was a little stiffer last year but the 929 is just a better machine than the 900rr in this class of racing. Keep in mind, Kurtis didn't win this big last year and the only difference is the bike. Greaves is still on the Busa, Grigg is still on the Raptor, Lopez is on the same Suzuki, Miller is still on the Attack R1. An injured Hayes is running faster lap times and he is on the Erion Honda and not the Suzuki.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

[This message has been edited by RCjohn (edited July 19, 2000).]

#9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taner261:
A fast rider will go fast regardless of what bike he is on

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with you to a point, the better rider will get more out of the machine he's on, but:

Scott Russell on Muzzy Kaw: Daytona Champ
Scott Russell on Harley VR1000: Daytona Chump

Not trying to refute your comment, but given riders with comparable talent, the machine does make a difference. :D

------------------
"It depends on what part of the country you're standin' in as to just how dumb you are."

#10 ·
i'm no honda fan, but the reality is the 929 platform has little to do with what kurtis is doing to the fx field.

kurtis is a true talent, and erion has the biggest bucks. with their budget they could do the same thing with an f4.

they are the only factory team in fx (except for the possible exception of the bruce trans. team, who buys factory support).

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

#11 ·
Tony,

Are you just trying to get me going with that silly statement? :)

Kurtis' talent is why he is doing so well in 600SS where the bikes are so evenly matched. They are all almost identical in power with exception of the Gixxer, but hey as a top tuner said, "You could give Aaron Yates a wheelbarrow at Mid Ohio and he would be fast". ;)

Kurtis' talent is why he has beat Josh Hayes every race. The bike is why he and Josh are so dominant.

The only difference, as stated earlier, in this FX field and last year's FX field is Josh Hayes is on a 929 and Jake Zemke is on a 929 and John Hopkins is back from injury on the Suzuki. The rest of the main competitors are the same. Last year the racing was quite a bit more competitive. DIFFERENCE IS THE 929.

The Honda has quite a bit more HP than the others(excluding the Busa but it's 40lbs heavier). Suzuki 850s are close but still several shy. Chuck Graves has a larger displacement "R1" with significant HP but it can't get the HP to the ground as effectively as the 929 YET. I would love to see Steve G. on that thing. The Raptor is 15-20HP down this year but has good handling and a HELL OF A CREW AND RIDER. :D :rolleyes:

In Superbikes and SuperSport the riders talent and mental state are most of the equation. Case in point is Yates and Mladin. Those bikes should not be as competitive as they are, as old as they are.

You better not have just been messing with me. This was a lot of typing. :D :p

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

#12 ·
"...the reality is the 929 platform has little to do with what kurtis is doing to the fx field.
...kurtis is a true talent..."

John, I don't think he's messing with you. It sounds to me like he agrees with you!

Did you just read it wrong?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

#14 ·
oops. I hope I didn't open up too big of a can of worms......

Mr. RC john, I have to say that I agree with probably everything you've stated, but I just can't seem to help myself in that it sort of warms my gut to see the 929 kickin ass and for whatever the technical reasons may be.

Was wondering if you happen to know just why Erion Racing began it's focus on Honda. Have they always been with Honda?? Could they have chosen another manufacturer to run with? Hmmm....

And yes, I was well aware of all the points you mentioned- Kurtis's ability, Erions money and support advantage, etc. However, at the same time I can appreciate the R1 for what it is, I'm also sick to my stomach of all the "R1 Hype" so I guess that was some of the fuel for the original post.

I'm extremely anxious to see what Honda has up their sleeve for the redesigned F4 as well. Heard anything about it?? Do tell...

And I could easily ramble on and basically reiterate what has already been stated in this thread with my thoughts but it's all been covered so it would be redundant. Just wanted to check in with this and see if I could get a couple answers to some of the queries bouncing around in the old noggin.

Take it easy all....

------------------
A few clowns short of a circus...

#15 ·
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but here is my understanding of the story behind Erion and Honda. Like I have to tell you guys to correct me. :D

Two Brothers Racing was a factory superbike team as well as Commonwealth Racing(Camel Smoking Joes) back in the early '90s. Kevin Erion is one of the Erion brothers of Two Brothers Racing. From what I heard, the two brothers had sort of a disagreement on were to go with the business. Kevin wanted to continue with Sportbike racing and the other (I think he goes by Skip) wanted to pursue the aftermarket products stuff more. Kevin started Erion Racing and was able to continue with Honda in the Supersport and Superteams competition. :)

This could be wrong but that is the way I remember it.

The rumors of the F4 I get from the magazines. Possibly a lighter fuel injected version or even a CBR600RR. It seems that Honda got very interested in the CBR600 Evo that the European Company(I forget who it was) built.

I think they will just upgrade it and make it fuel injected and probably more sport oriented but not as radical as the R6 in riding position. Who knows? :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

#18 ·
Am I stepping on Sacred grounds here?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by f3skooterdude:

In the last race at Mid Ohio only two R1's made it into the top 10. For a bike that's supposed to be so high and mighty I have to wonder what seems to be the complication.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must of been rider error :D

------------------
John

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by jk6672 (edited August 17, 2000).]

#19 ·
RcJohn brought up the possibility of a CBR600RR! that sounds pretty good to me. Let the VFR have the sport touring seat position and bring back the F3's seat to bar to peg ratios. Or something a liitle more radical but not like the R6. I love the idea of Fuel injection. No more carbs to synch. ( or is there some other new piss off) I also say change that headlight. Put 2 up front like everyone else. It looks nicer. If honda does this I will be back to there 600. If they dont well.... the 929 seems the way i will go.

------------------
Keep Your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked!

#20 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheToy:
- possibility of a CBR600RR! that sounds pretty good to me.
- I also say change that headlight. Put 2 up front like everyone else. It looks nicer. If they dont well.... the 929 seems the way i will go.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the 600RR would totally kick ass!!!!! :eek:

but so does the solo head light, to quote "Put 2 up front like everyone else." I don't want to drive a bike that looks like everyone elses, if i did i would buy a R6. the F4 has the wickedest front end out of all sportbike right now. i do agree with changing the look of it to more sporty though. get rid of the single seat!!! it is getting old. make a higher ass end and add a tep up passenger seat like the 929. that would make the bike sooooooo... sexy! i would drop my 2000 model for that one in a second.

ps - the 929 has a single head light. :p

------------------
Nick
"You meet the nicest people on Hondas"

[This message has been edited by MEHLMAN (edited August 30, 2000).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.