Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Well, my money is on 2003 for the engine changes, but who but Honda knows. Whatever happens, if the CBR is to be a GSXR1000/R1 killer, I'm glad I'm getting mine *this* year. Anything more than what the 929 delivers now, and I'd have to opt for a 600.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Pete said:
Well, my money is on 2003 for the engine changes, but who but Honda knows. Whatever happens, if the CBR is to be a GSXR1000/R1 killer, I'm glad I'm getting mine *this* year. Anything more than what the 929 delivers now, and I'd have to opt for a 600.

There's some truth to that! :eek:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Honda always does things on a 3 year rotation, or 2 years after the new re-design/revamp. The 929 is due, so it should happen in 2002, I can't wait to see what happens :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I finally got to test ride one of the new(00) 929's a few weeks ago and I think they are great. The few things I hated about the R1 are not an issue on the RR. I like to get on the throttle sometimes without worrying about sitting on pavement. The 929 also handles well for its displacement. Feels like a 600 in the curves. Anyway, sorry to get off track. I wouldn't be surprised if the RR was boosted to compete better with the R1. I would also not be surprised if the new RR outperformed the R1. Sales wise, the RR needs a boost to match up to the R1 better. Whether that boost would be a new displacement number or a new headlight (personal peeve), I expect some fairly big changes in next years model.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think that the 929 has more than enough rwhp for ridng on the street already. How much more than 130 rwhp can you actually use? I hope that Honda does not boost displacement next year, because it would probably delay what I really hope is the next powerplant for the FireBlade- the V-5.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would much rather see the V5 go in as soon as possible, but how much could you bore out the current design. I know honda tried to make it smaller than 1000 cc in physical size but is 929 the max? If they are within 2-3 horse of the R1 now, and they can bore it to 960 or something, it might be enough until they are ready to put the V5 in.

S

·
0 Posts
fasthrc said:
I would much rather see the V5 go in as soon as possible, but how much could you bore out the current design. I know honda tried to make it smaller than 1000 cc in physical size but is 929 the max? If they are within 2-3 horse of the R1 now, and they can bore it to 960 or something, it might be enough until they are ready to put the V5 in.
Theres a lot more involved to engine design. EX: If they bore it out, it will not only affect weight, but the power may not be optimized for the current bore X stroke. . . . .

I think

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
IMHFO, there won't be a mass produced V5 Honda until 2005 IF EVER. For me, the 929 vs. R1 vs. GSXR1K decision is not based heavily on HP. The main things keeping me from buying one are:
GSXR- questionable reliability
929- ugly styling
R1- needs Fi

·
Registered
468 Posts
Tristan said:
IMHFO, there won't be a mass produced V5 Honda until 2005 IF EVER. For me, the 929 vs. R1 vs. GSXR1K decision is not based heavily on HP. The main things keeping me from buying one are:
GSXR- questionable reliability
929- ugly styling
R1- needs Fi

Just get yourself a FireBlade version of the 929. Much better looking than the Honda Wing graphics 929s sold last year in the States, and in both the States and Canada this year. I really lucked out by buying a FireBlade 929 the only year they have been offered so far in North America. It should help my resale value a lot, if they don't start selling FireBlade 929s again here, when it comes time to buy a V-5 'Blade ;) .

·
Registered
79 Posts
I personally don't think they will ever put a V5 into the fireblade.... THat would change the whole dynamic of the motorcycle...

Not too mention they already have a multi cylinder V sportbike. If the V5 will find the light of day it will be in the VFR I think.

The Fireblade series will always be inline... But then again, maybe not. They need to start thinking about styling not power.

Ian

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
It is my understanding that the 929 is a 929 because it is as far as they can bore with the current engine design and they didn't want to increase stroke for more displacement. IMO hoping for a V-5 within the next to years is just wishful thinking. I like it but I still will be surprised if it happens.

As for those that keep mentioning the R1 as Honda's target, I don't think so. The Gixxer is the target for Honda and Yamaha. Why would they shoot for beating the R1 when the Gixxer is on top. :)

And don't bring up FXtreme racing, that don't count. ;) Talent has Buckmaster on top, not a superior machine. We all know that Pridmore was going to take #1 plate had he not crashed. :D

P

·
0 Posts
tigertex said:
What are the differences between the "regular" 929 and the Erion edition? Is it just styling?
Poser factor. ;) Yes, the only difference is the painted frame, paint/decals, and the price.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Don't forget that they are rare. You hardly ever see one. They're as hard to find as RC51's. ;):p

·
Registered
177 Posts
Motorcyclist magazine had a two page spread on the '02 Hondas and they're saying an increase in displacement to 955cc and changes in styling to look more like the 600 with more radical paint. Have to wait another couple of months to hear Hp and price numbers. They have an artist rendering and I kind of like the new look, but I like the look of the F4i alot too.

later,
Eric

·
Registered
28 Posts
zman said:
Hmm, Not to rare in AZ. I think every shop has one. They both look the same in your rear view mirror.:p
You won't be seeing me in your rear view, NOS Baby!! That's right, go ahead and say it Zane, "only babies are bottled fed"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts