Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was feeling kind of bummed because I have been without a girl for 6 months or so, but I just got a 2000 929 and suddenly it just don't matter any more!! This little bugger takes care of all my problems!! However, I have a question. When I picked it up, the dealer mechanic told me that I should avoid running it for short periods of time (i.e. a few minutes) as this bike tended to foul plugs quickly if you did this. He even pushed the bike across the parking lot to my truck rather that start it. Is there anything to this?? I do realize that in general it is much better to warm a vehicle up fully to get it lubed properly, get condensation out of the exhaust, etc.., but is it really worse for this bike?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I don't know of anything specific about your bike, but any bike, car, etc. that gets repeated cold starts and shut back down before the choke / enricher is off will foul the plugs. That would be most noticeable if you run somewhere less than 5 minutes at a time, several times in a row. They run rich and really soot up the plugs which clear themselves after a short time, but don't get a chance to do that if you repeatedly cold start it. That's probably all he's talking about. Aside from that, as you have already identified, doing that to an engine has a lot of other bad effects that in the long haul are probably worse than the immediate plug problem. Hope that helps.

Edit: Something else just occurred to me. If it has a pipe, it may have been re-jetted/re-mapped a little richer which could further aggravate that problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
the spark plug has to be allowed to reach stable operating temp to burn off deposits. When you start-up, the plugs accumulate carbon, and if you don't let it warm up to full temp, then next time you start-up, those deposits will still be there. Keep doing that, and you'll have a very fouled plug.

S

·
0 Posts
Dad said:
I don't know of anything specific about your bike, but any bike, car, etc. that gets repeated cold starts and shut back down before the choke / enricher is off will foul the plugs. That would be most noticeable if you run somewhere less than 5 minutes at a time, several times in a row. They run rich and really soot up the plugs which clear themselves after a short time, but don't get a chance to do that if you repeatedly cold start it. That's probably all he's talking about. Aside from that, as you have already identified, doing that to an engine has a lot of other bad effects that in the long haul are probably worse than the immediate plug problem. Hope that helps.

Edit: Something else just occurred to me. If it has a pipe, it may have been re-jetted/re-mapped a little richer which could further aggravate that problem.
good answer Dad.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I don't think that the plugs in the 929 foul any easier than any other plugs. I would have pushed it across the parking lot too, instead of start it to ride it across such a short distance. The big question is why didn't you ride it home?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, at least I know that this bike likely isn't any worse than any other in this regard.
The reason I didn't ride it home, Rossco, is because I could get a truck, but I couldn't get a friend to take me to the dealer, and I wanted to ride it as soon as possible, i.e. Right D_____ Now!! I got plenty of crap from the guys at the dealership for that too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts