Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it more difficult to do a wheelie on a 900rr opposed to a 600, or is it the same concept except with more power. The weight of the two bikes are very similar just 319 more cc's. Any input on this??? I see 600's do it all day long not many 9's seem to be trying?

------------------

·
Registered
129 Posts
i could be totally wrong on this (no offense to anyone) more squids ride 600 then 900. :p

------------------
They have the internet on computers now???

[This message has been edited by GodCreatedOne (edited July 24, 2000).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
the 900rr is a wheelie machine. short wheelbase, high power-to-weight ratio, strong midrange. the 600's aren't even close.

------------------

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in total agreement there! Just wondering why you never see a 900 up in the air( wait that just sunk in squids 600, got it)

------------------

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another quick question, Is it easy to just throttle the 900rr up or clutch it?

------------------

·
Registered
129 Posts
your 900 should be tough for it NOT to do a wheelie

------------------
They have the internet on computers now???

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way I have it geared also just never tried to do the wheelie yet!!!

------------------

·
Registered
503 Posts
i dont agree w/the squids on 6's. ive seen many a squid on r1 900rr/929's zx9r's.. i think the big bike attracts more squids cause they think they can handle it & it will look cooler to have a bigger bike.

yellow.. im no expert but.. i have a feeling that even here in colorado all u r gonna have to do is chop the throttle & open it back up again & u will see sky.

------------------

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yellojacket,
On my RR with stock gearing it's hard to keep the front end down over 7K rpms. It will pick the front end as low as 3K with out the clutch. I have to get my weight way forward just so I don't have to short shift into second.

Don't take this wrong but it's not the bike.

Buy, borrow, or steal a dirt bike and learn on that. It will save a lot of wear and abuse on your RR.

Sorry if I sound like a dickhead, I don't mean to.

Mike

------------------
A man's got to know his limitations

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tyrefryer, No offense taken. I'm sure the bike can do it I just need to get a little more time on the bike but I have noticed it is easy to pull it up when shifting in to second at high rpms. Thanks for the info. Nothing better than constructful criticism (sp?)

------------------

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't tell my friend with an RR that it won't wheelie. He'll make you cry. Also don't tell him that Honda's don't do stoppies.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My RR does roll-on wheelies in first no problem. I learned do the chop method little by little it got higher and higher. Slipping the clutch was a little more difficult than I thought it would be. Someone once suggested to try the clutch method at around 4K rpms. I learned very well at that RPM range. As far as stoppies. I can do it all day long....of coarse the braided brakes lines helped out a great deal :)

------------------
-Erik
'98 900RR
Stage 1 Jets
D&D exhaust
Braided Brake lines
misc, cosmetics

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 900RR is lot more comfortable to wheelie than my F4. It's got a little more power and most importantly more weight. The extra weight makes it feel more stable and confident in the air. I wouldn't mess around trying to clutch it up until you figure out how to power it up and get used to being in the air. Good Luck.

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
DON'T CLUTCH IT!

just use the throttle.

I've seen the longest wheelie's done on these bike: R1, 900RR, 929RR. Oh yaeh and an F3 (it's the rider not the bike)

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why would you not want ot clutch it up??? For gods sakes your gearing is only so tall. Get the hang of throttling it up and then just as your bike starts to make power in with the clutch and roll on the throttle and dump the clutch. its ugly at first but with time and patience it will come up nice and predictable and way longer then throttle wheelies as they are bassed upon power not balance. Balance points are all different I hit mine when I can no longer see through my wind screen once I am there I just poke my head up a bit more and run 1st 2nd and 3rd which puts me up at 15 mph and down at a bit over 120 mph and over a mile under the front tyre with out it touching the ground. She can get a bit head shakky when they come down as your front tyre has alot of speed to make up in a short while but this leaves some cool skid marks

------------------
If you are not on a gixxer what are you waiting for??

·
Registered
186 Posts
Very true that clutching will produce longer wheelies. You can start a clutch wheelie at 15 mph, but I start my throttle wheelies at about 30. I just don't like all the noise and jerking of doing a wheelie like that. Bad on lots of things.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes clutching it up can cause things to break but then again so can loading and unloading the chain and snapping it back to get the front end up.
It is ugly at first to clutch it up but ater a bit it can be quite painless to the bike when you know what your doing and find the bikes sweet spot

------------------
If you are not on a gixxer what are you waiting for??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts