Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently picked up this bike, It was so nice I bought it on sight. I would like to find out as much as i can about this bike,so if anyone knows where to find specs on this beast i'd love it..
Thanks

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
hey wannabe thats a great old bike.

My first sportbike was a 91 600R and i loved it.

What do you want to know?

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
205 Posts
my 89 ninja600 is/was a piece-o-crap!!

but it was a good choice because more people than not like the bike.

------------------
Nick
"You meet the nicest people on Hondas"

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

How much HP Does she have??
1/4 mile ??

Hey Mehlman! Whats up! Im from N.S Too... Lived in Sackville most of the time but stayed in Clayton Park for a few years!! I miss Home!

------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just sold my 89 600R for a 00 zx9r.

The 600r was really heavy and had moderate power. I was never able to reliably pull a wheelie on this thing. Perhaps mine was a little low on power. Other people were saying that this bike was the wheelie machine in it's time. I find that hard to believe.

It was comfortable though. I liked it while I had it and was able to keep up with most of my friends with their newer 750's. All in all it was acceptable but maybe a FZR600 would have been a better choice just for the lighter weight. But never having ridden it, I can't vouch for it. All in all, I liked the bike.

------------------
--------------
DE
2000 ZX-9R Mica Black
1989 ZX600R Black

·
Registered
873 Posts
i agree with david,

My old '91 600R was dyno tuned to a T and it only made 67 HP (had full muzzy and Stage3 DJ Kit) but it WAS heavy, it was NOT a wheelie bike, (you could do wheelies, but they had to be Brutal clutched and hellish snap wheelies, no fun)

But the handling on the bike was great. With progressive front springs, i could easily keep up with ANY older bike, and *almost* catch bikes like the f2 and even the older 900RR. (yes it is true) Occaisional wallowing in 120mph+ sweepers was not uncommon though.

In tighter twisties i could stay with most anyone. It was great bike, but the old technology, heavy frame, low power and limitations on upgrades kept it in the "beginner bike" category.

As far as comfort, it was very comfy.

------------------
Fear Green.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cant find origional tires that fit!
What tires would you reccomend?

------------------
Allow myself to introduce myself -- Austin Powers

·
Registered
873 Posts
Best tires i ran for the 600R were Dunlop K591 SP 150/80-16 rear and 120 in front.
You are really limited with a 16" wheel.
Honestly, anyone have any better suggestions?

In order to safely fit the 150 in the rear you WILL have to take a grinder to "massage" the inside of the Swingarm radiused "armpit" plates. (the area in the corners)

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited July 15, 2000).]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Best tires i ran for the 600R were Dunlop K591 SP 150/80-16 rear and 120 in front.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In order to safely fit the 150 in the rear you WILL have to take a grinder to "massage" the inside of the Swingarm radiused "armpit" plates. (the area in the corners)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see that Dunlop makes a K591 Elite , size 130/90-16 ???? Now it's obvious why you took the 150, but I dont want to hack up the bike ? Have you tried the 130 ? Is there a big handling difference between the 2??

------------------
Allow myself to introduce myself -- Austin Powers

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GreenNinja!!!
ANSWER ME!!!!!
I NEED TIRES!!!

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

·
Registered
873 Posts
YIKES! im sorry squid..

Anyways, it was not a big hack job, just a little massaging. Nothing to take away from the structural integrity of the swing arm. You can run the 130 but i would recommend the 150/80..

------------------
Fear Green.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks GreenNinja!!!

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts