Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 85 interceptor for $1000. I am going to go look at it Sat. and was wondering if the bike is any good? I know the interceptor has evolved into a great bike, but did it start out as one? I only have $1000-1500 to spend is this about the best I can hope for in a bike in that price range? Hell I've waited this long would waiting until Winter be better as far getting into a little newer model bike for the same $. Iam getting anxious to ride, but I don't want to get something and then regreat it later.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Back in 94 I bought an 84 interceptor 750 for $1000 bucks. It was my least favorite bike of any that Ive owned. It was way heavy and handled poorly. Keep in mind though that I knew little about bikes then except to ride them so I didnt know how to adjust the suspension, and I've no idea what the tires were. This one was a piece of crap to begin with too, although in typical Honda fashion it ran when I bought it and ran when I sold it. Ive also heard that those years of V4 have a problem oiling the overhead cams so they are prone to failure beyond 30K+ miles or so. That Im not too sure about, I'll bet someone else here can elaborate on that , or perhaps its not true at all. I sold mine because after an extended run of several miles at 135 mph the engine started ticking loudly when cold, and the clutch had started to slip.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Which Interceptor model are you looking at? The 500 was probably the best handling one (but I'm biased :)) and also not prone to the cam troubles of the larger models. If it's a well-cared for bike, $1000 is not out of line, but if it's a heap, walk away. They can be expensive to fix if in bad shape.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I forgot to mention it is a 700 Interceptor. 22,000 miles on it
Thanks and keep the info coming

·
Registered
17 Posts
I learned to ride on a 83 750. it was big and heavy, but it taught me control and stuff like that. it wasn't the fastest but it was quick enough. over all it's not a bad bike. i never had problems with it. and i rode ir for 3 years. 1000 bucks is a good deal, just test ride it before you buy it. if you wait till winter you could have some more money saved and maybe get a f2 or something. think about it before you jump in to it. later..........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts