Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
this is my first post here. i'm gonna be selling my dual sport soon and getting a street-only bike. i've been looking around in the local classifieds and stuff, but nothing yet.
anyways, i know its not a sport bike, but one of the bikes i've found is a 99 suzuki marauder for $3k. It's an 800 - do you think that's too big? I've only been riding for about a year, but I've taken to it pretty well I think. I'm a smart kid, I'm not gonna be trying to do wheelies or go 150 the first day out w/a "new" bike, so respect for the bike isn't a problem. What do you think?
thanks,
bill

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think the first issue is what kind of bike do you want? A cruiser or a sportbike. At 450+ pounds, the Maurader is heavy enough to need 800cc's. How much street riding have you done on your dual-sport? The Marauder is made for highway cruising.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure which I want... Actually, I'd take either I think. I just want something bigger than a 200 so I can take it places instead of just driving around town. I've done quite a bit of street driving on my dual sport, more than dirt time. Probly 300 miles or so, compared to 50 off-road...

·
Registered
518 Posts
the 800 should be an ok starter bike. my re-entry bike a few years back was a vulcan 800. big and heavy....and slow (don't have to worry about doing 150...or wheelies, it can't)...btw...an 800 cruiser has about 45 hp....about 65 hp less than a sportbike of equal displacement.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think you'd get more fun out of something smaller and more sportbike biased. Maybe a Suzuki SV650, Honda Hornet or similar.
But ultimately, it depends on what you want to do on the road. 300 miles isn't a great deal of road-riding experiance. Think about an MSF course and invest in some good gear too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts