Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i realllly want a ducati and can afford only a 748S. I want to know how it performs in comparason to 600cc fours - as i just cant find any mag or article on it. I will be goin on some track days so any track info would be cool.

(Ive heard the ducati is quite serverely down on power)

thanks,
mike.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
If you can afford it it's one of the sweetest handling middleweights out there and in Europe does well enough in superstock so the power can't be TOO far behind although I'd say it is lower than the 4's. With supersport rules the way they are the power is competetive with a pipe and minimal other changes.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
m42 said:
Hi,

i realllly want a ducati and can afford only a 748S. I want to know how it performs in comparason to 600cc fours - as i just cant find any mag or article on it. I will be goin on some track days so any track info would be cool.

(Ive heard the ducati is quite serverely down on power)

thanks,
mike.
It probably comes down to where you are going to ride. The Duck would be the one to get if your plan to ride tight, technical roads. Otherwise, you might be better off with one of the japanese fours.

I bought an '02 R6 and had to spend lots of $ to set it up for racing. If your are planning to race, you might want to consider the 748R. It costs more, but it looks race ready.

Good Luck and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
515 Posts
this is probably a hard find, but..

the 1998 issue of sportrider magazine did a full comparison of the cbr600f3,zx-6r,gsx-r600 and the yzf600r...along with the duck748...

it came in last in the 1/4 mile
last in top speed
2nd in lap time @ streets of willow right behind the gixer
slowest in trap speed @ steets of willow
4th in 60-80 roll on(honda was slowest)
tied for last place in the 80-100 roll on(tied with the zx-6r)

the duck cost twice as much as the other bikes..

here in the states, some brave souls race the 748 against the 600s in supersport......they dont fair very well.

but they do look good....:p

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Re: this is probably a hard find, but..

spongebob said:
the 1998 issue of sportrider magazine did a full comparison of the cbr600f3,zx-6r,gsx-r600 and the yzf600r...along with the duck748...

it came in last in the 1/4 mile
last in top speed
2nd in lap time @ streets of willow right behind the gixer
slowest in trap speed @ steets of willow
4th in 60-80 roll on(honda was slowest)
tied for last place in the 80-100 roll on(tied with the zx-6r)

the duck cost twice as much as the other bikes..

here in the states, some brave souls race the 748 against the 600s in supersport......they dont fair very well.

but they do look good....:p
That is typical of Ducati stats. Last in horsepower, last in 1/4 mi., last in top speed, last in roll-on, last in trap speed. Near (or at the the TOP) in LAP TIMES

Not faring well????

Like I said, if you are going to be riding in the tight stuff, the 748 is the one. BTW Streets of Willow is a TIGHT course.

It costs more, yes, but your re-sale value will more than make up for it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
ya, not fairing very well..

when was the last time a 748 finished in the top 10????

i forgot to mention it was the 2nd heavyest bike..

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Well in the US it hasn't faired too well as it's not a legal bike SB. In europe however it's done quite well for the last couple years although I don't think it's doing so this year. Point being that in supersport rules it is in the running and given it's power disadvantage must therefore handle quite well.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I can attest to the performance of the 748(R, is lighter tho and you can feel it), at least. I've got 2 ZX-6R's ('95 and '00), GSXR600, and a Ducati 748R (no Honda or Yamaha, tho).

The 748 is down on power (somewhat) in regards to any kind of straight, roll-on, power to the tarmack situation, but it fairs really well in the twisties. In the twisties, most bikes hold me up, but open road or track, it's a little lacking. Also consider that the design hasn't been changed since... '94, and they are still doing fairly well? That's saying something. Just imagine what she can do if the biatch takes off about 50 lbs. :twofinger

Hammer is correct, get what you like. Make sure it fits you and your riding style.

If all you can afford is a 748S (wa wa, cry me a river)... you can pretty much afford any bike you want! :D . Only thing is, repairs will kill ya, if a cager doesn't. :D (Don't ask me how I know).

Ride 'em, if ya got 'em.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Dude, new guy just wanted some opinions on a Ducati. I don't think he's gonna be finishing top 10 in any class (are ya?).

Poor guy, his first post and he gets Spooged. :twofinger

·
Registered
515 Posts
it was apexdOOd that mentioned SB,..

i was thinking it ment SuperBike...and duck lips...it wasnt me that first brought up racing...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Re: Re: it was apexdOOd that mentioned SB,..

Hammer 4 said:

Duck Lips..????????:confused: LMAO..

You gonna let him talk to ya like that...:D
Nah, I'm much more adult than that. What would the kids think?

He's just jealous because I have a more bikes than he does, which includes a 748R... so there!

neener neener neener :twofinger

1 - 20 of 53 Posts