Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for several years...only japanese bikes. I have built several from frame/engine only but I have no experience with Ducati. An oppertunity has presented itself for a 2000 Ducati 748 or 749, need look at bike again, cannot rememeber engine type, with 12k mi. Can someone give me a relatively unbiased opinion? Is the bike worth the extra $$? Stopped by dealership yesterday for second time in a couple days, so dealer is getting wise to my interest. Is it worth giving up my VTR1000?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The 749 is new for 2003, so it's a 748. Conveniently, Ducati names it's bikes after their cc's, so the motor is 748cc's.
I've not ridden a 748 but I do know that you'll be giving up quite a bit of hp going from a 1000cc twin to a 748cc twin.

The main tradeoff is that the Duc actually has suspension. :D

Most people will tell you it's not worth it with higher maintenance, higher repair costs, less power etc. Unless of course they are Ducatista, then they'll tell you that you'll love the 748 and never look back. In honesty there's no way to determine for someone else if it's worth it or not.

This is coming from someone who owns an Aprilia RSV Mille despite the above drawbacks, and it's chosen over the RC51, TLs and TLr. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
for what it's worth,why not a 996-998-999?i do own a japanese bike and a ducati.i can tell you when i ride the 954 it feels "japanese"and the ducati feels like an"suv"there many advantages,too many to list, about a japanese bike.but i can tell you if you have some money to throw at the ducati do it.my duc eats up everything and it's great,seeing the look on people's faces in the pits or after a ride.just for the record my duc has 144 rwhp,the 954 153 rwhp,and the ducati chews it up every time!all the money i spent on it was worth it times ten.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have talked to several Ducati sportbike owners and the general consensus is that Ducatis are NOT worth it. I have never owned a Ducati so I am only going on heresay. I always wanted a 916/996/998, but by the time I had the means to purchase one, I had heard to many complaints. I don't think anyone will argue that Ducatis are beautiful bikes, but reliability is very important. Especially when you're talking about a bike that is notoriously expensive to repair and maintain.

There used to be a Ducati dealership on 11th Ave in NYC. It closed down last year because the number of unhappy customers outnumbered the number of potential buyers and satisfied customers combined! I'm not knocking Ducati, but if you plan on doing a high percentage of street riding, you might want to stick with Japanese sportbikes .

·
Registered
193 Posts
ny2nj said:
I have talked to several Ducati sportbike owners and the general consensus is that Ducatis are NOT worth it. I have never owned a Ducati so I am only going on heresay. I always wanted a 916/996/998, but by the time I had the means to purchase one, I had heard to many complaints. I don't think anyone will argue that Ducatis are beautiful bikes, but reliability is very important. Especially when you're talking about a bike that is notoriously expensive to repair and maintain.

There used to be a Ducati dealership on 11th Ave in NYC. It closed down last year because the number of unhappy customers outnumbered the number of potential buyers and satisfied customers combined! I'm not knocking Ducati, but if you plan on doing a high percentage of street riding, you might want to stick with Japanese sportbikes .
nothing wrong with reliability.that's a total myth.maybe if what you say is true there was something wrong with the people running the dealership.the expensive maintenance everyone talks about comes into play every 6,000 miles,when the basis charge for valve adjustment is 6 hours labor.let's keep it real huh,"the consensus of ducati sportbike owners i talked to say they're not worth it"i don't think so.also if there is any truth to what you say about that ducati dealership,i'll find out and post what i find out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey,

You have to ride it and see for yourself.

There is a guy down at the local shop with a really nice 748 pushing like 112 rhp and he spent mad money on it. His allways tring to sell me a Ducati.

He also said that service was more like every 3,000 miles and it does cost money to keep up with it. Maybe because of all the racing parts he put on it.

Don’t buy it until you ride it!!!!
:2cents:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Drei said:
Hey,

You have to ride it and see for yourself.

There is a guy down at the local shop with a really nice 748 pushing like 112 rhp and he spent mad money on it. His allways tring to sell me a Ducati.

He also said that service was more like every 3,000 miles and it does cost money to keep up with it. Maybe because of all the racing parts he put on it.

Don’t buy it until you ride it!!!!
:2cents:
of course you change the oil every 3,000 miles as with every motorcycle.valve adjustments need to be done every 6,000 miles.i was a service manager at a ducati dealership i think i would know.you're right on with ride it and see for yourself,as i've said many times before,if i listened or followed what people and magazines said i would have never owned a ducati.it's the best bike i ever owned and the only one i'll keep.already thinking of unloading the 954 for next years bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
iccarref1026 said:
nothing wrong with reliability.that's a total myth.maybe if what you say is true there was something wrong with the people running the dealership.the expensive maintenance everyone talks about comes into play every 6,000 miles,when the basis charge for valve adjustment is 6 hours labor.let's keep it real huh,"the consensus of ducati sportbike owners i talked to say they're not worth it"i don't think so.also if there is any truth to what you say about that ducati dealership,i'll find out and post what i find out.
Keep it real? Are you serious? What would I gain by lying about a bike I admit that I like? I guess you are an owner that feels his bike can do no wrong. God bless you brother, but one owner told me there is a site out there where members post complaints about their bikes. I cannot remember the name of the site, but if I find it, I will post it. Again, I admit, I have never owned a Ducati and I am not speaking from personal experience, but heresay.

·
Registered
193 Posts
ny2nj said:
Keep it real? Are you serious? What would I gain by lying about a bike I admit that I like? I guess you are an owner that feels his bike can do no wrong. God bless you brother, but one owner told me there is a site out there where members post complaints about their bikes. I cannot remember the name of the site, but if I find it, I will post it. Again, I admit, I have never owned a Ducati and I am not speaking from personal experience, but heresay.
maybe go back and read your comments.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure now...

I have decided...getting a 2002 Ducati 748. Have a good offer on my VTR and am hoping to close the deal this week. Cannot wait, doubt is no longer existent. :) Will post pics when I get her. Had a choice between 2002 or 2003. I am going with the traditional Ducati hammer head. The classic look is just what has always been in my mind over the years.

·
Registered
148 Posts
iccarref1026 said:
of course you change the oil every 3,000 miles as with every motorcycle.valve adjustments need to be done every 6,000 miles.i was a service manager at a ducati dealership i think i would know..
Oh dear.... you were one of those Ducati service managers then... the ones who talk nonsense and give everyone the misinformation that causes these myths!!

Please, if you really were what you say, get your facts straight!!!

The valve adjustments DO NOT need to be made every 6K. The difference in cost between a valve 'check' and an 'adjustment' is HUGE - enough to put a potential buyer off. So please get it right - it's the valve check that is recommended every 6K, and this service item is a relatively simple procedure most people could do themselves.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Re: Sure now...

Ricerun01 said:
I have decided...getting a 2002 Ducati 748. Have a good offer on my VTR and am hoping to close the deal this week. Cannot wait, doubt is no longer existent. :) Will post pics when I get her. Had a choice between 2002 or 2003. I am going with the traditional Ducati hammer head. The classic look is just what has always been in my mind over the years.
Congratulations, I am looking forward to hearing your comments after you've ridden it some! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
BamBam said:
Oh dear.... you were one of those Ducati service managers then... the ones who talk nonsense and give everyone the misinformation that causes these myths!!

Please, if you really were what you say, get your facts straight!!!

The valve adjustments DO NOT need to be made every 6K. The difference in cost between a valve 'check' and an 'adjustment' is HUGE - enough to put a potential buyer off. So please get it right - it's the valve check that is recommended every 6K, and this service item is a relatively simple procedure most people could do themselves.
for the record ducati recommends a "MAJOR SERVICE" every 6,000 miles.which includes a valve clearance inspection and closing and opening rocker inspection(which sometimes flake and need replacement that is covered under warranty forever except SPS models) which is a 6 HOUR LABOR CHARGE.these are facts.i have no idea what nonsense and misinformation you're talking about. there's a big difference between 2 and 4 valve motors,i would say 99 % of 4 valves that i have written up had to have an adjustment made at that interval..maybe if you owned a 4 valve ducati you would know what the hell you were talking about.and even better ducati has what is called the "DUCATI ADVANTAGE " program which pays for the service according to your plan.the reason i'm not the service manager at fast by ferracci anymore is because dealing with jackass's like you day in and day out, Ken Hindermyer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good points - it's not the first time I've been called a Jackass either.

I'm sorry I misunderstood you first remarks - I took you to mean that for that service period Ducati called for adjustments. Re-reading it afterward I see that that's not what you meant at all - you were talking about bikes actually needing the adjustments that regularly - I sure didn't know it was that sort of percentage.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

·
Registered
193 Posts
BamBam said:
Good points - it's not the first time I've been called a Jackass either.

I'm sorry I misunderstood you first remarks - I took you to mean that for that service period Ducati called for adjustments. Re-reading it afterward I see that that's not what you meant at all - you were talking about bikes actually needing the adjustments that regularly - I sure didn't know it was that sort of percentage.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.
thanks for the apology,i apologize also.i would also like to add if i write anything in response (mainly in this forum)it's pretty much good advice.alot of the times i give to much of a ducatista answer, i can't help that. there's alot of ducati haters out there that are misinformed and have no basis for an opinion.i try not to shoot from the hip as a lot of people do.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ass in the air...

I hope you like your butt perched up in the air like inmates in the prison shower. I have ridden sportbikes for fifteen years at least, and I can't stand the Ducati riding position of any of their sport bikes. The only position is laying on the tank with your rear higher than your chest. NO THANKS.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
I have been riding Suzuki street bikes for 10 years. I just recently chose to give that up and buy the Ducati. I have a 2-valve 1999 900SS and I love it. I did not buy the Ducati for speed or horsepower. I knew walking in what I wanted to buy the bike for. Let's face it, my bike is NOT the fastest on the block.

I wanted to buy if for style and to ride something different. I also knew that there was a little more maintanence with the Duc. It really is no big deal, trust me. I bought it two years ago and have 13,000 miles on it. I like to ride. It is a much different experience. So all in all, I bought my Ducati for something different. Now that I have one, it will be VERY difficult to go back. The sound of the pipes and the dry clutch...beautiful. It handles much different that the jap bikes. It is not as smooth on the power delivery. But that is just me though. There is nothing like the torque and the sound of a twin. Whether it be a TL, RC-51, or whatever. You really need to know what you want and feel confident in what you ride.

There will always be a faster bike on the road no matter what bike you may have. But there is not many that look as good as the Ducati.:2cents: :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
DocThee said:

I wanted to buy if for style and to ride something different. ...

There will always be a faster bike on the road no matter what bike you may have. But there is not many that look as good as the Ducati.:2cents: :D

I agree with DocThee, I owned a Hayabusa and YZF600R... I loved riding both bikes alot. But, I would say that The DUC is definitely a diamond before you as an enthusist touch it. And damn how many Ducati's do you see out there on the road? It is nice having something unique...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts