Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In couple of months I will have saved around 4,000 bucks. I dont know really what I want or what I need. But, I've always wanted a bike every since i can remember. I thought you guys could help me out with my purchase.

I need a large bike I know, I'm 6'6" & 185 Ibs. What do think I would be more comfortable on. I dont want to look like a polar bear riding a tri cycle if you know what I mean.

Thanks,William

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I'm having a problem fitting bikes also. There are taller bikers out there, trust me. Standing at 6'8", the chief instructor of all instructors at the MSF Street and Dirt classes rode by our class on a Yamaha R6. I guess if he can ride it comfortably, I won't have much trouble. Myself, I'm looking into buying a Honda CBR F3 in the next 2 weeks or so. It's a very comfortable bike and fits like glove. The main problem I am having is with finding a riding jacket. I am tall and lanky, and my arms are too long for a good fitting jacket. I've ordered the Fieldsheer Titanium Air Jacket in L and it should fit me, according to recommendations from some online friends. I hope I don't have to send it back :)

Jim

·
Registered
379 Posts
6'1" from sea level here; and the 6R feels great for me. Not as tall as you guys, but that's my $.02.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Welp..being the shortest of the responding group so far, at 6'2" and 170..I ride a older gixxer..and it works for me..also, my son who is 6'6" and 275lbs..likes the gixxer too..BUT..try to ride, or at least sit on all the bikes, and choose the one that YOU like..:D

Oh...and welcome to the boardz......and the Addiction..:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
not to worry

I too am 6'6'' tall and have rode lots of different bikes, fitting is no problem if you are flexible enough. I currently ride an 02 RC51, it takes some bending but that is no problem. Like watcha buy Buy watcha like be safe have fun

Joe

·
Registered
426 Posts
You would be PERFECT for a pocket bike :p (time for elo to chime in ;) )

You'll be fine.... just go down to the dealers and sit on all the bikes. Bring a bud to hold em upright so you can get your feet on the pegs and see how it'd be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also 6'6" and I was having the same issues. I wanted to find a bike that was comfortable and it didn't look like a monkey f**king a football. So, right know I am riding a ZX7R and it fits pretty good. My advice is too sit on alot of bikes for awhile, don't just get and then get off. If you give it a few minutes while you talk to the sales person you will get a better feel for it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
limegreen6R said:
You would be PERFECT for a pocket bike :p (time for elo to chime in ;) )
I raced a guy at Willow Springs who is 6'4, 250 lbs. What? a 27" wheelbase isn't big enough? ;)

Another option for taller riders is to go the Super Motard route. Check that forum out, Grok the moderator is batty for them things! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am in the same situation as you in looking for a bike. I am 6'6" tall and 256lbs athlectic build. I have sat on EVERYTHING! I find the leg cut out on the tank to be the deciding factor for me. So far I have only been looking at the following bikes:
Ducati 998
Honda RC51
Aprilia RSV Mille R
Yamaha R1
Honda CBR 954RR
Suzuki GSXR1000
I fit on the Yamaha R1, Ducati 998 and Honda RC51 the best because there are no leg cut out on the tank. The Suzuki GSZR1000 fit me the worst. I also fit on the Aprilia too pretty good but I am aware of the leg cut outs. If I were on a budget I would get the Honda RC51 hands down and next on my list would be the Yamaha R1. I currently ride a 2001 Harley Road King, yep I'm not one of those Harley sport bikes haters assholes that ride only Harley's, so I want a totally differant very racey type of bike. I love the exotic's so the Ducati 998 and Aprilia Mille R are the 2 bikes I am trying to pick between.
Mike C.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Limegreen6r, yes I tested the Aprilia Mille and 998. Just slow neighborhood riding behind the dealership. My friend has a 996 and I have rode that around at much greater lengths too. I respect what these bike can do and I know my limits. I am signed up for the California Superbike School in October to learn even more. I will not put myself inot a position to even come close to crashing...
Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
6-1 & 200 lbs.

The ZX1200 would be a excellent machine for you. It is a powerful, heavy, comfortable Bike.

I owned the 12 but opted for the 9 after it was hit whiled parked.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Eddy, yep I know there are other bikes out there that might fit me better like the Kawa you mentioned and the Hayabusa but... I really want something more exotic and differant so that's why I'm looking at the Italian bikes. Trust me this is not an everyday rider so if I end up liking the sport bike position better than my Harley Road King then I will consider a top of the line sport touring bike.
Take care, Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts