Sportbike World banner

600rr

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  SepiasSoul 
#1 ·
OK, I know everyone says not to start out on a new top of the line 600, but I think I might be a different case. I've raced motocross since I was 5. I'm 15 and Ill be 16 in February. I currently race 250B on a CRF450. I want to get an 06 CBR600RR next spring when I can get my motorcycle license, I've ben saving my money for a while and have enough for about half of it, and Ill just make payments on the rest. Now I know this is where you say, motocross is different from street riding. BUT, early spring this year I converted my CRF250 into a supermoto bike and have been riding it around on the streets and have had a few scares on it, but I think I handled it well, no wrecks or anything. So I have some street experience, and I'll definately be taking the MSF course and I wont be doin stupid shit like wheelies and stunting and stuff. So should I still start off on a smaller bike? I'm thinking SV650S, but I hate the look of it without lower fairings. Any opinions would be appreciated and taken into consideration. Thanks.

#2 ·
I was the same way. I rode and raced dirt since I was 8. I jumped right on a R6, and have not had any problems with it. Granted it is a 2000, but it is still fast. I am already wanting to upgrade. I think racing dirt gives you quite a bit of experience that people take for granted. You get use to spinning the tire around corners and you get a good feel for the bike wanting to jump on one wheel. Do keep in mind that they are different though. Street hurts a lot more than dirt. The main thing for you, I feel, is that you are going to be 16. If I had my bike at 16, I would be dead. If you do get it, take the MSC, and get really good gear. Don't let your friends highschool you into anything either. You should pull some good tail with that bike in highschool too.

#3 ·
Yeah I know Im going to be really careful on it for a while, and Ive noticed a lot of street guys think motocrossers wont have any experience at all. People act like Im just some kid whos never ridden a motorcycle in his life and they say to start off on a ninja 250, my 450 would easliy beat one and I dunno about my 250, its pretty modified. But I also know that a street bike handles a lot differently than a motocross bike, I've ridden a sportster 1200 and a old FZR750, and it was a lot different, but nothing hard. And yes, the high school tail will be a HUGE plus to having a 600rr....but not the only reason. And seeing as how Ill be the only kid in my school with one, out of 2000 kids, I cant wait. Oh and another thing, is it a lot harder to carry a person on the back? Ive carried my dad down to the line on the back of CRFs before and its really weird and hard to balance, is a street bike the same way?

#5 ·
I wouldn't be too worried about whether or not you can handle getting a brand new 600rr, the part I would be worried about is the cost of fixing it when you drop it. I would give 5 to 1 odds your bike is gonna see the ground in a year :)

I don't know about you but when I was sixteen it would be hard to replace a brand new bike. But then again insurance replace mine :dunno:

Get what makes you happy, but just think about what'll happen when it goes down. BTW, you have very cool parents if they are letting you get a bike at the age of 16, and I second the girls part, having a bike at 16 is going to seriously help your game ;)
just watch out for angry parents of those girls you give rides too.

#6 ·
Yeah the replacing it when I drop it is what I've been wondering about too. But it'd be easier for me to make payments on a new bike, then try and save up money for a used bike. And I'm also sponsored by a local shop because I race, and they can get me a discount on a bike, and everything I need for it. How much would frame slider help in case of a tip over? Because thats the first thing I want to buy for my bike, Im not gonna be cocky and say Ill never wreck or tip it over, I know I will. If you say youll never wreck thats the first thing that'll happen. I know from experience, I got cocky and the next day, coma. Oh and does anyone know where you can get lower fairings for a SV650S? Those would look a lot better with one.

#7 ·
The thing I see a problem with, is not so much the bike, but the fact you'll be learning to navigate out on public roads in traffic while on a motorcycle.

You obviously don't have a car yet, right? Riding a bike on the track then the street are completely different. Now you're dealing with ignorant drivers who cut you off, tailgate, plus you have to get used to many different situations on the street.

Looking back, learning how to drive in public on a bike probably wouldn't have been a good thing. Like all new drivers, I made a lot of stupid mistakes, which would have led to different outcomes if I were on two wheels instead of four.

I think you're better off getting some experience in a car first...not that it helps you ride a streetbike, but the experience will make you a smarter rider.

#8 · (Edited)
slaps76 said:
The thing I see a problem with, is not so much the bike, but the fact you'll be learning to navigate out on public roads in traffic while on a motorcycle.

You obviously don't have a car yet, right? Riding a bike on the track then the street are completely different. Now you're dealing with ignorant drivers who cut you off, tailgate, plus you have to get used to many different situations on the street.

Looking back, learning how to drive in public on a bike probably wouldn't have been a good thing. Like all new drivers, I made a lot of stupid mistakes, which would have led to different outcomes if I were on two wheels instead of four.

I think you're better off getting some experience in a car first...not that it helps you ride a streetbike, but the experience will make you a smarter rider.
Amen to that brother. A 600rr is ok to start on if your are familiar with bikes and can respect the power. Any motorcycle is the wrong motorcycle for starting to drive on the road. Definately get a cage, learn how stupid every one drives, and while you are doing that remember that all cages hate bikes and want to eat them.

Also, ebay has some fairings some times, shark skinz makes a really cool set. You may want to stay away from the sv though. I think with your history the sv would bore you after a few thousand miles, unless you want to take it to the track. That thing is a blast to flick around.

#9 ·
CRF_173 said:
Oh and does anyone know where you can get lower fairings for a SV650S? Those would look a lot better with one.
Check out ronayers.com I believe they are less than $400 painted

#11 ·
Ive been riding motorcycles since I was little, I love all kinds of motorcycles. I ride trials, pitbikes, single-track, I see sport bikes as just a new kind of motorcycle and now that I'm finally old enough to have one, I'm going to get one.

Theres no way I could wait until Im 20. I plan to be around motorcycles all my life, as soon as I graduate I'm going to AMI and would love to work for a factory race team.

I kinda know how stupid people are, Ive been riding my supermoto CRF on the streets and have had it out on the highway a few times, and I've already had a few close calls on that. One guy pulled right out in front of me and I had a lady turn left in front of me too, luckily a few days before that happened I put on my oversized Galfer front brake, so I got stopped in time, but it was close.

I've also been driving on the street in a car for the last six months on my permit. Im not just some stupid little kid that will go out and do dumb things like stunting and wheelies, Ill respect the power a 600cc sport bike has.

#12 ·
Bro, I know it sounds like everyone here is talking down to you, but believe me we all got the same interest in mind.
I also understand you not wanting to wait another 4 years for a streetbike, especially if you are lucky enough to afford one at your age.
However, trying to learn two things at the same time, can easily lead to mistakes, and mistakes on bikes tend to at the very least hurt a whole lot.
Riding a sportbike on the street and riding one on the track are two totally different animals. While I'm not a dirtbike person (lack of opportunity, not desire) I suspect that trail riding and racing them are quiet different too.
So if you do get a streetbike this early, take it to the track. Its time well spent, especially if you want to end up in the racing world. Try to keep it off the street, at least for the first year. People on highways are all homocidal maniacs, and they all try to kill you. Really, some arent paying attention and dont give a damn about what happens to you, others just dont like sportbikes and think its real funny to run us over and make us crash. It doesnt register with them that someone is going to die, they look at it like swatting that annoying fly.

#13 ·
Im not learning how to do two things at once...I know how to ride a bike. I think it would be easier for me to handle a bike than to drive my dads truck. Ive been in situations before where I thought dang, if I had a bike that wouldntve happened, I wouldve known what was going on around me, no blind spots, nothing to block my view. I dunno thats just what I think.

#16 ·
You where worried about financing - you can finance anything. I work at a bike shop and you can get financed for anything. Being 16 you will have to have your dad co-sign, other than that there's no problems. A new bike would be sweet but see about getting a used one, not an old pile, but like a '99 to '03. You can pick those up fairly cheap, by that I mean thier not 8 or 9 grand. But if you said you have half, lets guess you have 4500, then you got enough to own one. Plus you'll still be the only kid in school with a bike most likely. Believe me it sucks to down a used bike, but downing a new one sucks more than you can imagine... I have 30 miles on my CBR1000RR. I've been riding since I was a kid too, 6 years on the street. That was my first crash and it had to fucking be on my new one. Anyway buy a used one. Thinking back to high school don't do dumb shit to impress people, its cool enough that you have a bike, when you crash in the school parking lot you won't be so cool. Good luck...

-M-

I tried to pull some high school tail with my bike, but everyone said I was an old pervert. "I'm only 24" I said as I rode away, crying softly to myself. I now get the meaning of "15 will get you 20":huh:

#17 · (Edited)
Lot of darn good suggestions on the other posts. Give them a lot of thought & remember when you are 16-----well with a hot trotting sportbike you are going to do some crazy things that even you will be telling yourself you were so wrong & what made you do that. Unfortunately it is your age.

Believe me I speak with experience as I was riding & driving when 16 yrs of age & then into basically all forms of dirt comp & some road racing for 42 ys PLUS riding the streets & hwys being a grand total of 59 yrs on bikes.

The combination of racing, along with riding steets/hwys plus driving was a god send to me. You see I really had no peers to follow or elders with advise as WWII was over in latter part of '45 so I rode a piece of old junk in the bush illegally till of age in '46.

#18 ·
CRF_173 said:
I've also been driving on the street in a car for the last six months on my permit. Im not just some stupid little kid that will go out and do dumb things like stunting and wheelies, Ill respect the power a 600cc sport bike has.
Believe me, nobody here thinks you're a stupid little kid that wants a sportbike to go intentionally riding like an idiot. You sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders.

The point is just it takes some miles under your belt driving/riding any vehicle on the street before you really get a good feel for how to react in certain situations. And unfortunately, you may not fully realize this, because 6 months isn't a long time. The worst thing is you can't always anticipate what other drivers are going to do, and the only way you'll learn to minimize certain risks is by making mistakes. Those mistakes are better made with a cage around you.

Either way, if you do end up getting a street bike right off the bat, definitely take the MSF, and buy some good riding gear. And definitely don't be afraid to ask questions!:thumb:

#19 ·
I am in a similar boat to you. I've been riding dirt bikes and Im now moving to the street. I know that no one is questioning your skill riding bikes, especially if there givin you the go ahead on a 600rr, car drivers are morons. Three weeks ago I was stopped at a stop sign in my mazda and a truck just drove right though me. When I got out he just say "I didn't see you there" if i was on a bike I woulda been dead at that point (half my mazda is missing). I definatly agree with everyone about getting more road experience before taking a bike out on the road. If they can miss a lime green mazda they can miss anything. My best suggestion if you are still all out gung ho on getting a bike at 16 is stick the the back roads and dont ride it to school. If people driving for years are bad drivers not seeing you, just think about 16-18 year olds just learning to drive. Most of them are more worried about impressing the other people around them than whats infront of them.

Good luck racing,
Sepais

#22 ·
yeah the whole insurance thing is kind of worrying me...but I think I have it covered. Instead of buying the $4,000 RX-7 I wanted, I can settle for an older, cheaper CRX and use the money I saved for insurance. If you get a loan do you have to have full coverage? I checked on progressive and for 12 months it was almost 2K, but that was with comprehensive coverage and something else I cant remember. But I took comprehensive and the other thing off, and it was around 800.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.