Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, about a month and a half ago I bought a brand new Ninja 500R, and it's my first bike. It just hit 600 miles yesterday though, and I brought it in to the dealership to have its 600 mile checkup. They told me it would cost $230 though! I'm new at buying vehicles, but are check ups not covered in warranties? I've also heard that this first checkup is the most important one, and I should definitely have someone look at it, right? Is that price expensive? Shouls I shop around?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
I don't recall either of my 600 mile check-ups (F4 and XX) costing that much. I guess it depends on the bike though, and what they have to do to it, the local shop rates, etc. Just my input, I'd say shop around a little, it can't hurt.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes, bikes do need service and usually starting at 600 miles. No, service is usually not covered under warranty unless you made some special deal with the dealer (not likely). Yes, the 600 mile service is important as it gets the break-in oil and filter changed, makes sure that everything works correctly, and that critical bolts are still tight to their torque specs. $230 sounds average for a dealer. Another problem with dealers is that it can sometimes take a month or more to get a service appointment (especially in the summer).

You have 3 choices: do the work yourself if you feel confident and get the service manual (the owner's manual will at least have the maintenance schedule in it), find a good independent shop that will charge 1/2 to 2/3 of what a dealer charges, or bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. My suggestion would be to go to a good independent shop if you or a buddy knows one or take it to the dealer until you have time to either prepare to do it yourself or find a good shop.

BTW, the subsequent services will likely be more expensive as they do more stuff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds a little high to me. I bought a ZX6R this summer; I did the 600mile oil myself but took it in at 3600 for the oil and a full checkover. They also readjusted the suspension for me( have muzzy dogbones because I'm so damn short). Ran $130 and they did a great job; in and out in 2 days

·
Registered
492 Posts
That seems crazy damn expensive. 230 bucks for an oil change?? 1st service=change oil, tighten chain if needed, lube the levers, and make sure the fasteners are tightened. Crapload of money for $25 bucks in parts and an hour or so of time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah....I called another place and they quoted me as $150, plus parts. So...I think I'm just gonna pretend I'm smart and mechanically proficient and change the oil & filter myself. The valve readjustment is the only thing I can't do, and I checked all the fluid levels and they look fine, so...yeah. If the bike ends up exploding I'll be very upset however.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Buy a Haynes or Clymer manual for $25 and save yourelf LOTS of money. First maintenence on a bike is an oil/filter change and making sure all of the bolts are still tight. Some claim they check/adjust the valves, but they won't uless they hear the valves chattering when they run the bike.

90% of bike maintence can be done with proper tools and a good manual.

·
Registered
515 Posts
buy a factory service manual..

those other manuals are crap..do the 600 mile service your self, keep your receipts so you can prove the service was done in case of a warranty issue..

you dont need a valve adj. this soon..but do get one when the time comes around..

enjoy your bike, that includes doing as much maintenance your self..:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So yeah...I did it. Kind of. The fluid levels look fine, and I managed to drain the oil, but I couldn't get the damn oil filter off. I looked online and I couldn't find an oil filter wrench that looks like it can fit through that tight spot to remove it, so I'll just leave it on there till the next tune up. I live in an apt building still and when the fuzz passed by me working in the parking lot they gave me a lecture about working on my "motorized vee-hicle" outdoors. Pretty lame but interesting nonetheless. :rolleyes:

P.S. Anyone have any bright ideas about removing the oil filter?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Don't leave the old filter in..You've got all sorts of crap coming out of a motor that is just run in.
The service manual should point out the correct proceedure.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
BobbyDazzler is correct --------

----- the lst few oil changes are when the oil filter MUST be changed. After all the engine is just starting to turn over & lots of crap can be trapped by the oil filter.
After your 1st or 2nd oil change & new filters you CAN skip the filter change about everyother time.
NOT the lst change or the 2nd change.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Get the type of filter wrench that fits on the end of the filter and that you turn with a ratchet. There are several sizes, but your dealer can sell you the right one for about $8. Your owner's manual likely has instructions for changing the oil including how to install the new filter (specifically how tight). If you already ran the bike with the new oil, you should change the oil again. Any way, if you don't drain the oil first, you will have a real mess when you remove the filter. Maybe find a friend who has a bike and a garage to help you. Good luck!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Or you can get a strap wrench that does the trick for next to nothing; the key is to hand tighten, then wrench tighten about 1/2 turn more; same with the drain plug. The most important thing is do not overtighten (you'll strip the threads, lose the gasket seal on the filter) abd if you undertighten oil will go flinging everywhere when you start it up! If you're not sure, get a buddy who knows about bikes to help you but still do it yourself (under direction). You'll learn faster that way.
:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts